website statistics
32 minutes ago, Cobi said:

Not in my case, but my family does not do Santa either, just "Reyes Magos", which is basically the same thing but in January 6th. I do have some friends in Catalonia that celebrate the Tió though.

I do enjoy a good Rosca de Reyes :d

Some of my Latin American classmates would bring those to class on the 6th (or before, if we were still on winter break that date).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@Jur @Cobi do either of your families employ the “Cagatio” thing in lieu of Santa Claus? I just learned about that practice this year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@hckošice do you guys not celebrate on the 25th then? The 24th is Christmas Eve in :USA 

Of course, families celebrate on different days/times according to different traditions brought over from Europe or Latin America. 

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
44 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Any recommendations on sports related movies in Netflix to watch during the holiday period ? 
Happy holidays everyone ! 

Gran Torino (the e-racing inspired movie) recently came out on Netflix in the US. Race (the Jesse Owens film) is on Netflix (at least in the US). Rush (Nikki Lauda story) is available too. Unbroken is also on Netflix (in the US) at the moment. The Grizzlies (it's about lacrosse in a remote village) is another option. The Redeem Team (2008 USA basketball team documentary) is also available. Field of Dreams (baseball themed drama) is also on there. 

The Swimmers (Mardini bio-pic) was good enough in my opinion. It's another option.

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted

Oscars’ shortlists have been published for 10 categories: https://aframe.oscars.org/news/post/96th-oscars-shortlists?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-theacademy&utm_content=later-40025166&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

I’m still making my way through the festival hits, but I’d say this is a pretty good year in film. There’s a not insignificant chance that more than one foreign film (maybe even three) and more than one animated film get nominated for best picture, which would be neat. 

I’ll post my full thoughts on the season in the a few weeks. 

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted
9 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Not straight away, but it’s coming.  

I guess the benefit of the doubt when enacting polities after entering office is only given to right wing politicians :whistle:

Posted

She was in power for a over decade. She made her own poor policy choices too. I'd caution that "telling the truth," and formulating policies that benefit the general public aren't the same thing. 

Milei "being honest" about the economic situation could be good a thing, but he still has to propose practical solutions to very real problems. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Beside all the flock from Africa / Asia, that comes for it, it cannibalises the workforce from Eastern Europe. Do you know how much damage is done, because of people going there to live on welfare. They don't even have to transfer it here. They just stay in NED doing nothing, instead of being in BG working ...

Reminds of me of the premise of R.M.N., which I finally had time to watch a few days ago. Easily some of the best written discourse on modern Eastern Europe (even with a somewhat confusing subplot).

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

This is an example of great journalism. An outlet sought out an expert on the topic of the “interview.” They found someone with great knowledge of the topic, who was also able to vocalize that knowledge in a compelling and coherent manner. They allowed the greater public to propose questions, and the expert then answered a wide breadth of those in those in the interview. Ultimately, they created an engaging and informative product that likely appeals to a wider audience.

No one had to yell loudest to get a point across. There wasn’t a bunch of flashy/distracting graphics. The expert wasn’t trying to pander to a particular segment of the audience. Etc. This is just great journalism.

Posted

The IOC provided us with the international version of “thoughts and prayers” today :p

Posted
3 hours ago, MHSN said:

this guy is trying to explain American people's point of view about killing people

He might speak for many South Carolians, but the majority of Californians will tell you with absolute ceetainty that he does not speak for us.

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread
Posted
36 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Pretty common occurrence. They used to have a ski club even, but it went inactive due to safety concerns (a lot of rocks).

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread
Posted (edited)

No snow in LA yet either :(

:p

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
2 hours ago, George_D said:

And suppose it is approved then :VEN is going to launch an attack to :GUY ?

No idea. I don’t feel like the world really needs another geopolitical conflict at the moment though :( 

Posted

:VEN will hold a referendum this week on whether a majority of :GUY territory should be considered Venezuelan. It all stems for a territorial dispute going back to 1899 apparently. 

Here’s a good overview of the situation: https://apnews.com/article/venezuela-guyana-essequibo-territory-dispute-maduro-referendum-d3e65757ca8da2355994ec8a44c148ba

:BRA is also militarizing their Northern border as a consequence:  https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazil-increases-northern-border-military-presence-amid-venezuela-guyana-spat-2023-11-29/

[OFF TOPIC] Your Job Thread
Posted (edited)

@intoronto let me know if they have room for one more. I’m still looking for employment in the sports industry at the moment :d

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted

I hope all of our Irish users are okay. Dublin had a rough day with a stabbing attack and evening riots. 

Posted
10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Well in that case, does he want to go back in time and collect their foreskins or what? It's just a weird and rather sick overall thing to say anyway :p 

- said @heywoodu, looking at his framed and mounted collection of foreskins from around the globe :p

Posted

Olympic Truce Resolution agreed to by the UN for Paris 2024. A lot of nations not even bothering to vote on it. Russia and Syria were the only nations to formally abstain from voting. 

Of course, we’ve all learned a member state can violate said truce and remain a member of the IOC (without even a suspension nonetheless!), so a nice meaningless gesture by all involved.