website statistics
2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Didn't know that "Perfect Days" was the japanese entry, given that it was made by a german director. Would have been better to enter it for Germany and to allow Japan to enter "Monster".

Germany already has the critically beloved The Teacher’s Lounge as it entry (which also made the shortlist). I think they made the right choice there.

The “nationality” of films is a weird subject. The one film per nation rule benefits some (Cote D’Ivoire and Bhutan for instance), but complicates the process for other’s. Plus, many films have multiple nations attached to their production. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

Agreed. Monster and Perfect Days are both among my favorite movies this year and I haven't even seen The Boy and The Heron and Godzilla Minus One yet. Sadly, in the end I think Japan might even miss the nomination for best International Feature.

It’ll be close I think. It’s just such a great year in film. Many countries with more than one worthy film. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Four Daughters won the jury award for best international film at the film festival I attended. I’d seen the documentary before hand and quite liked it (I gave it 4/5 stars).

My favorite from the festival was The Teacher’s Lounge.

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted (edited)

Independence leaning party wins Presidential election Taiwan (for third time in a row):  https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/polls-open-taiwans-critical-elections-watched-closely-by-china-2024-01-13/

Edited by Olympian1010

I attended my first film festival this week. It was a pretty neat experience. I got the chance to see a lot of international films that were on my list to see. I'm not sure how it compares to others internationally, but I thought it was pretty well organized/programed.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Nice to have you back after a short break @owenp_23

I was starting the fell lonely as the only super active American user again :p

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I've wondered before how many parents we have on Totallympics, the only one I'm sure about is @konig because he announced that last (?) year :d 

It would be interesting to know. I feel there are a lot of “single” users on here, but maybe I’m wrong. 

I know of at least one other user with kid(s), but I’m not sure if that is public info or not.

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

Seems like a nice tune to play in the background while your wife does an interview or your son walks the dog :p

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
6 minutes ago, Finnator123 said:

I guess you could say that, since Ice hockey is my favourite sport :thumbup:

I always assumed it was cat(?) jousting with hockey sticks based on your avatar :p

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

One of my favorite events/traditions growing up near LA was the “Tournament of Roses Parade.” Here’s some highlights (and maybe a replay?) of this year’s edition: https://ktla.com/news/rose-parade/watch-the-2024-rose-parade-live-stream/amp/

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

@Olympian1010 small correction, we’re actually not the last time zone to reach 2024 (I’m pretty sure you and I are both PST), as HST (Hawaii Standard Time) is two hours behind us ;)

Last “Totallympics time zone.” No one has traveled to Hawaii to stop my marathon post yet :p

59 minutes ago, phelps said:

to all those who are already in 2024 and to all those who are going to enter 2024 in a (relatively) short while...

Still 11 hours to go in California. I believe the Pacific Time Zone is once again the last Totallympics time zone to enter the new year. Lengthy post incoming...

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted

Japan really got screwed by the one film per nation rule at the Oscars. I haven’t seen Perfect Days yet, but Monster seems to be getting a surprising amount of love from U.S. viewers. I saw it last week and thought it was one of the best films of the year. Unfortunately, Japan had a very competitive year in film. Two big festival/critical hits, a favorite for animated film (along with a sleeper pick), and a well regarded action movie. I don’t envy the people who had to make that call.

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
5 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I saw the series a few days ago, I honestly recommend it if you appreciate the genre. The jokes are very nice, with the medieval setting but with current themes (patriarchy, innovation, climate change)

Is it kind of like Norsemen, then? There’s still scenes from that series I quote in daily life. 

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

Well, at least that's how it used to be, don't think many families can afford it these days. 

There’s a lot of families in the U.S. that open one gift on Christmas Eve, and then the open the rest on Christmas. 

32 minutes ago, Cobi said:

Not in my case, but my family does not do Santa either, just "Reyes Magos", which is basically the same thing but in January 6th. I do have some friends in Catalonia that celebrate the Tió though.

I do enjoy a good Rosca de Reyes :d

Some of my Latin American classmates would bring those to class on the 6th (or before, if we were still on winter break that date).

@Jur @Cobi do either of your families employ the “Cagatio” thing in lieu of Santa Claus? I just learned about that practice this year.

@hckošice do you guys not celebrate on the 25th then? The 24th is Christmas Eve in :USA 

Of course, families celebrate on different days/times according to different traditions brought over from Europe or Latin America.