website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
52 minutes ago, Josh said:

Bit of a confusing response I know, but to explain my thought process, watching (along with playing, but irrelevant point) sports and sharing results on Totallympics are two of my favourite things to do. Trying to not worry too much when personal problems is hard for me, and it might be what I need to not freak out and have mental breakdowns every couple of minutes. But we’ll see.

Same dude; same.

I'll keep your father and you in my thoughts. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

We didn't get a total solar ecilpse in California, but it was still cool see a partial one in the shadows on the ground :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

But I'm already dreading getting familiar with the songs and having some kind of investment. In a perfect world the fight should be between Italy and Croatia, but knowing this is Eurovision they will probably have cringe stuff like Netherlands or Switzerland winning....

Those are two of my top three favorite songs, so I'd be happy if that happened. At least we agree on Italy (the other part of my top three) though :p

:CRO just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:05 PM, vinipereira said:

Still have a lot to watch, especially international movies. Now that Oscar season is over, I'll try to catch up. Some of the films in my watchlist include: The Boy and the Heron, Close Your Eyes, The Delinquents, The Goldman Case, Green Border, La Chimera, Menus Plaisirs - Les Troisgros, The Missing, Origin, The Taste of Things, Tótem.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on those three at some point. La Chimera and Tótem got overlooked during awards season, but both I thought rather highly of both. La Chimera is one of those films I find myself thinking about for a long while after my first watch.

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

This would get 12 points from me in an instant.

My favorties before the live shows are... :NED:ITA:SUI:ARM:NOR 

I think some of those songs could be difficult to perform/stage, so my rankings could definetly change during the contest. Plus, there are a few songs I might like more if they are staged/performed well.

55 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Although it was totally expected, I despise the screenplay win for 'American Fiction'. For me it was the worst of the category.

It definitely wasn't my favorite, but there wasn't really a standout in the category either, in my opinion. The Zone of Interest would probably be my personal pick.

I did complie a list of films I watched in 2023. You can find my thoughts and ratings for most of them here: https://boxd.it/ti5Xg$WfClDvILULgq0r9T

3 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Yeah, since they don't have the guts to award something like 'Anatomy of a Fall' or 'Past Lives', it was a good choice.

Oppenheimer is one of those films where I can’t really find a fault with it (at least any substantial one). It’s just a well-made film through and through, in my opinion. 

I didn’t captivate me as much or touch my soul to the same degree as Past Lives, but I can respect it‘s win.

There really aren’t any winners I totally disagree with outside of War is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko in animated short.

Dann, I really wanted Poor Things to win score. I’ve been listening to it pretty regularly for the last  two months. 

Oppenheimer did have a good score too though.

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but Barbie is one of the most overrated movies I’ve ever watched. Personally wasn’t a fan. 

I thought it was fun. It was great movie to go out and see with my friends and family. I do think it honestly injected some life back into the film scene in the US. 

2 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

The fact that the Cheetos Song, nothing more than a cheap jingle IMO, got a nod indicates that the Academy prefers to look inclusive rather than do a thorough job with nominations.

Well, Diane Warren needs her nomination :evil:

The Last Repair Shop wins! I wasn’t certain, but I’m so happy. It’s such a great love letter to power of music, education, and the beauty of Los Angeles :wub:

3 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Special Citation (Documentary):
The Eternal Memory

I will be overjoyed if this beautiful film wins in the documentary category. It hit me really hard as someone who worked as journalist and believes there's value in saving vital information. I thought it was edited and composed so well.

Strong possiblity I was waiting for @vinipereira to post his picks/predicrtions, so I could burrow/steal his formatting. Anyway, here's my Oscar thoughts:

Spoiler

Best Picture

WILL WIN: Oppenheimer

COULD WIN: The Zone of Interest

SHOULD WIN: 1. Past Lives; 2. Oppenheimer; 3. Poor Things; 4. Anatomy of A Fall; 5. The Zone of Interest; 6. The Holdovers; 7. Barbie; 8. American Fiction; 9. Maestro; 10. Killers of The Flower Moon

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Teacher's Lounge, Society of the Snow, Rye Lane, Earth Mama, Monster

Directing

WILL WIN: Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan

COULD WIN: The Zone of Interest, Jonathan Glazer

SHOULD WIN: 1. Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan; 2. The Zone of Interest, Jonathan Glazer; 3. Anatomy of a Fall, Justine Triet; 4. Poor Things, Yorgos Lanthimos; 5. Killers of the Flower Moon, Martin Scorsese.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Society of the Snow, J. A. Bayona

Actor in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer

COULD WIN: Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers

SHOULD WIN: 1. Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer; 2. Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers; 3. Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction; 4. Bradley Cooper, Maestro; 5. Colman Domingo, Rustin.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Josh O'Connor, La Chimera; Franz Rogowski, Passages

Actress in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon

COULD WIN: Emma Stone, Poor Things

SHOULD WIN: 1. Emma Stone, Poor Things; 2. Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall; 3. Annette Bening, Nyad; 4. Carey Mulligan, Maestro (not sure if this should be a leading performance); 5. Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon (It's a terrific performance, but this is a supporting performance in my opinion)

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Leonie Benesch, The Teacher's Lounge; Tia Nomore, Earth Mama

Actor in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer

COULD WIN: Ryan Gosling, Barbie

SHOULD WIN: 1. Ryan Gosling, Barbie; 2. Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer; 3. Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things; 4. Sterling K. Brown, American Fiction; 5. Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Mateo García Elizondo, Tōtem

Actress in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

COULD WIN: Jodie Foster, Nyad 

SHOULD WIN: 1. Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers; 2. Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer; 3. Jodie Foster, Nyad; 4. America Ferrera, Barbie; 5. Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple (I will watch this movie before the ceoremony, so this ranking may change)

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Carol Duarte, La Chimera

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

WILL WIN: American Fiction

COULD WIN: Oppenheimer

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Zone of Interest; 2. Poor Things; 3. Oppenheimer; 4. American Fiction; 5. Barbie

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Society of the Snow

Writing (Original Screenplay)

WILL WIN: Anatomy of a Fall

COULD WIN: Past Lives

SHOULD WIN: 1. Past Lives; 2. Anatomy of a Fall; 3. The Holdovers; 4. May December; 5. Maestro.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Teacher's Lounge

Animated Feature Film

WILL WIN: The Boy and the Heron

COULD WIN: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

SHOULD WIN: 1. Robot Dreams; 2. Nimona; 3. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse; 4. Elemental; Not watched: The Boy and the Heron.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Peasants

Documentary Feature

WILL WIN: 20 Days in Mariupol

COULD WIN: Four Daughters

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Eternal Memory; 2. Four Daughters; 3. 20 Days in Mariupol; 4. To Kill a Tiger; 5. Bobi Wine: The People's President.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Smoke Sauna Sisterhood, Kokomo City

International Feature Film

WILL WIN: The Zone of Interest (Great Britain)

COULD WIN: Io Capitano (Italy)

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Teachers' Lounge (Germany); 2. Society of the Snow (Spain); 3. The Zone of Interest (Great Britain); 4. Perfect Days (Japan); 5. Io Capitano (Italy)

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Fallen Leaves (Finland), Monster (Japan)

Cinematography

COULD WIN: Poor Things

SHOULD WIN: 1. Oppenheimer; 2. Poor Things; 3. Maestro; 4. Killers of the Flower Moon; 5. El Conde.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt

Film Editing

COULD WIN: Anatomy of a Fall

SHOULD WIN: 1. Oppenheimer; 2. Anatomy of a Fall; 3. Poor Things; 4. The Holdovers; 5. Killers of The Flower Moon

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: 

Costume Design

WILL WIN: Poor Things

COULD WIN: Barbie

SHOULD WIN: 1. Barbie; 2. Poor Things; 3. Killers of the Flower Moon; 4. Oppenheimer; Not Watched: Napoleon.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Priscilla

Production Design

WILL WIN: Poor Things

COULD WIN: Barbie

SHOULD WIN: 1. Barbie; 2. Poor Things; 3. Killers of the Flower Moon; 4. Oppenheimer; Not Watched: Napoleon.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Saltburn, The Mother of All Lies

Makeup and Hairstyling

WILL WIN: Maestro

SHOULD WIN: 1. Society of the Snow; 2. Poor Things; 3. Maestro; 4. Oppenheimer; Not Watched: Golda.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Mami Wata

Music (Original Score)

SHOULD WIN: 1. Poor Things; 2. Oppenheimer; 3. Killers of the Flower Moon; 4. American Fiction; Not Watched: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Zone of InterestThe Peasants 

Music (Original Song)

WILL WIN: "What Was I Made For?", Barbie

COULD WIN: "I'm Just Ken", Barbie

SHOULD WIN: 1. "What Was I Made For?", Barbie; 2. "I'm Just Ken", Barbie; 3. "Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People)", Killers of the Flower Moon; 4. "It Never Went Away", American Symphony; 5. "The Fire Inside", Flamin' Hot

Sound

WILL WIN: The Zone of Interest

COULD WIN: Oppenheimer

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Zone of Interest; 2. Oppenheimer; 3. Maestro; 4. The Creator; Not Watched: Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Killer

Visual Effects

WILL WIN: Godzilla Minus One

COULD WIN: The Creator

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Creator; 2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3;. Not watched: Godzilla Minus One; Napoleon; Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

Short Film (Animated)

WILL WIN: War is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko

COULD WIN: Ninety-Five Senses

SHOULD WIN: 1. Pachyderme; 2. Ninety-Five Senses; 3. Our Uniform; 4. Letter to a Pig; 5. War is Over! Inspired by the Music of John and Yoko.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Wild Summon

Short Film (Documentary)

WILL WIN: The ABCs of Book Banning

COULD WIN: The Last Repair Shop

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Last Repair Shop; 2. Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó; 3. Island in Between; 4. The Barber of Little Rock; 5. The ABCs of Book Banning.

Short Film (Live Action)

WILL WIN: Red, White and Blue

COULD WIN: Red, White and Blue

SHOULD WIN: 1. Knight of Fortune; 2. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar; 3. Invincible; 4. Red, White and Blue; 5. The After.

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Athens 2004 shirt hanging on the clothes line when the old lady is dancing, and at the end one of the Athens 2004 mascots as a stuffed animal :p (my grandmother actually bought me the same stuffed animal in 2004 and I still have it in my room :lol:)

I still found a good amount of Athens 2004 merch on sale when I visited last year :p

Edited by Olympian1010

Undeniably Greek, but it does remind me a lot of similar ethno-pop entries “Unicorn,” “Fuego,” “Cleopatra.” If the performance is good, it will probably end up in my top 10, or at least threatening it. 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But on what basis can a judge campaign? A judge needs to uphold laws, not have a certain political (even if officially they're unaffiliated) standpoint on said laws...

Do they all campaign "I'll sentence people according to the law"? That makes it hard to choose :p 

Yes, that is what a lot of them say.

Some bar associations put out assessments of the candidate's credentials, so I may take those into account. Some judges will also explain their ideas when it comes to sentencing (ie. correctional support v. long sentences), while other's provide long personal bios about their attachments/service to the community for people to consider.

10 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Are the judges affiliated to a political party?

I believe they were at one point, but they campaign unaffiliated now. I generally go to their campaign websites and view their platforms/qualifications and endorsements.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh right, judges are elected. It remains incredible how 'the system' apparently keeps thinking putting the theoretically separated branches back together is....good? :d 

We've elected/voted-to-confirm judges since statehood (according to info I found on the matter), so it's how our government was set up from the beginning in California. The process has changed over time, but it's a core aspect of our democratic system. Some judges we elect through vote, while other judges are proposed by the Governor and then comfirmed or not confirmed through a vote. 

As I've said before, voters have a lot of power in California. We can recall (force a vote on whether or not to remove an elected official from office) any elected state officials, including judges (though we've never recalled a judge). Citizen-groups can gather signatures and propose amendments to the State Constitution without ever involving elected representatives. They can also gather signatures to force referendums on legislation passed by elected officials. 

Cast my votes for TISC, and then cast my votes in the primary round of elections in California :d

Pretty slim ballot by our standards this time around. I only had to vote on 17 positions (mostly judges) and 1 proposition.