website statistics
Summer Paralympic Games 2020
Posted

What a fantastic edition of the Paralympic Games! It’s sad to see Tokyo 2020 come to close because I have throughly enjoyed both the Olympic and Paralympic Games this year. Unfortunately, I had to miss most of the second week of the Paralympics due to the start of a new semester at my university. I’ll definitely go back and watch what I missed at some point. Now, it’s time to reflect on this summer’s sporting action and prepare for what will hopefully be an equally great season of winter sports.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

After an appeal (probably from China?), Brazil loses a gold medal Men's Shot Put F57 almost half a day after the event. Somehow Thiago Paulino has now only 1 valid mark which still gives him the bronze medal. Just one more controversial decision at these Games.

I know that the classification process was highly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, so that may be why there has been so many classification controversies at these Games. I think the lack of major international competition is also to blame for the controversies as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

To me, without knowing the full details of the case…This sounds like a case where I’d imagine this rule exists, but it’s generally not enforced, or at least it’s enforced with leniency. My guess is that is that either a) this was a special case where extraordinary factors delayed the arrival of athletes (because it’s weird that athletes from three separate countries were late), and Ukraine played the technicality card, or b) athletes from various NPCs have been arriving late to the call room for various competitions without recourse, until Ukraine decided to play a technicality in their favor (which is a fair move, but perhaps a unpopular move amongst the para athletics community)

I hope World Para Athletics release a statement explaining the details of the case at some point…

:CRC won their first Paralympic medal in the men’s T64 100m last night. I haven’t had the chance to watch it yet, but I heard the race was phenomenal and possibly the best race of Tokyo 2020.

Posted

@dcro is the final percentage the average of all five judge’s percentages, or do they do some sort of exclusion of high/low scores?

Posted
2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Archery medal events are happening yet no stream. So shooting and archery won't be covered? 

All I know is that “partial coverage” was planned. I have no clue what’s going on with either of those. 

What a final in the F40 Shot Put!!!

:IRQ breaks the WR on the last throw passing the RPC athlete, and then the RPC athlete turns around and breaks that new WR by a centimeter :yikes:

Posted

I don’t think I’d want to listen to it on loop, but that Tokyo 2020 victory ceremony music is still one of my favorites musical compositions of all the ones I’ve had to listen to over the last few years of multi-sports games.

Posted

PHOTO FINISH! Gretsch :USA at the line!

Parker :AUS lead the entire race, until Gretsch sprinted by her with about 1-2m left in the race. What a race! Great effort by both athletes.

Posted

Scary crash for Emily Tapp :AUS in the triathlon. She crashed her hand cycle through the barrier along the bay. The front part of her cycle was completely destroyed and handing over a decent drop. Tapp does seem to be okay as some technical officials stepped in to remove her from the cycle and carry off the course. 

Posted

Every single track cycling world record has been broken :bowdown: (at least for each event, there were two class world records left unbroken)