website statistics
Paralympic Sports Discussion Thread
Posted

Paralympic flame will be lit in Stoke-Mandeville from now on. Link: https://www.paralympic.org/news/paralympic-flame-be-created-stoke-mandeville-all-future-paralympic-games

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

Missed this last week, but :BAN:KOS are now members of the IPC. Link: https://www.paralympic.org/news/paralympic-family-grows-208-ipc-welcomes-five-new-members

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

IPC General Assembly voted to impose a partial suspension on the Russian Federation. They can’t keep in team events, nor will athletes compete as representatives of the country.

Notably, the vote to re-impose a full suspension of membership only failed by about 10-11 votes. 60+ countries voted in favor, which is higher than I would have guessed. Definitely still a lot of anger with Russia for disrupting the Paralympics, doping, and waging war on Ukraine.

European Para Championships 2023
Posted

Khudadadi :IPC won a gold medal in taekwondo. She was one of the two representatives from Afghanistan at Tokyo 2020. Now, she competes as a refugee with support from the French team. What a story it would be if she won gold in Paris!

Link: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1139857/afghan-refugee-wins-taekwondo-gold

European Para Championships 2023
Posted

These began today. I’m interested to see if this concept will be successful or not. Europe could definitely use a major multi-sport event for para athletes in between the Paralympics.

Event list and athlete quotas: https://www.paralympic.org/sites/default/files/2023-07/MiCo26_Medal events and athlete quotas_2.pdf

Curling gets a mixed doubles event, ice sledge hockey now has dedicated quotas from female athletes, and biathlon switches from middle distance to sprint pursuit. Alpine Combined will be held as part of alpine skiing, even though it has been axed from the Winter Olympics.

African Para Games are apparently going forward this year with only four sports on the program. Athletics, Powerlifting, and goalball have been dropped from the program due to unsuitable venues according to international standards. 14 NPCs have reportedly withdrawn from the Games as well :(

Link: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1139203/african-para-games-hit-by-withdrawals

Para Athletics WPA World Championships 2023
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Why some events only 2 or 3 quotas.  If an athelete qualified in another the next best finished athlete should qualify right?

Not under my original interpretation of the qualification document. It’s not very clear if the quotas are reallocated to the next best athlete or not. However, it does say unused quotas will be allocated via the HPA.

The allocation created by @Josh can be seen as “safe” quotas. Those should be guaranteed without question according to the qualification document.

Edited by Olympian1010

Ezra Frech :USA (L.A. local) officially sets the WR in the T63 Men’s High Jump :cool:

He and his father started a local Paralympic sports chapter in L.A. It’s really grown over the last few years, and it’s great to see so many kids and adults getting involved in sport now that the structure is there. I spoke with both of them last fall at a Global Sports Week event in LA. Quality people as far as I can tell.

I might have competed against Ezra in athletics if I was a year younger. Our high schools were in the same league, and I believe he competed in standard able-bodied competitions. Anyways, cool to see him becoming such a great representative of the city.

@Josh to answer the question you asked last night, I don’t think quotas will be allocated to athletes outside the top 4 (even in the case of reallocation if an athlete already has a quota). I think any remaining quotas go to the high performance allocations.

Trifecta of multi-sport games taking place at the moment. Virtus Global Games (for athletes with intellectual impairment), Youth Parapan American Games, and Para SEA Games. Streaming for all three events is available on YouTube, or other dedicated sites accessed via the official websites.

Discover the Games should have a story on the Virtus Global Games this evening, or tomorrow morning for those interested.

Posted

Initial sports program approved for LA28: https://www.paralympic.org/news/la28-paralympic-games-initial-sport-programme-feature-22-sports

Pretty much the same as Paris 2024, though LA28 can explore the inclusion of para climbing and/or para surfing. Tough loss for World Sailing who made a very public push to have para sailing reinstated on the program. 

Posted
43 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

I dont know is this something you were asking for but here you go

https://db.ipc-services.org/sdms/hira

Yeah, that’s the IPC database. It has the all the official results, but not in the original PDF format. It’s a great statistical resource though.

Posted

I’m trying to find copies of the results books for Beijing 2008, Torino 2006, and Athens 2004. I’ve checked the Olympic Library and looked around the archived official websites on Wayback Machine. I’ve found a few results books on IF websites, but quite a few still missing from my collection. Any tips on where those may be available? 

Winter Paralympic Games 2022
Posted
7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

About the relays in cross-country: does anyone know the difference between the mixed relay and the open relay? Both start lists are a total mess, with teams in every random combination one can imagine, from only sit skiers, to three men + one woman, to four male sit skiers, to Canada which starts with one visually impaired man and one standing woman who both ski twice.

Mixed relay:

https://results.beijing2022.cn/beijing-2022/paralympic-games/static/pwg2022/pdf/PWG2022/CCS/PWG2022_CCS_C51C_CCSX4X2.5KM-12150-----FNL-000100--.pdf

Open relay:

https://results.beijing2022.cn/beijing-2022/paralympic-games/static/pwg2022/pdf/PWG2022/CCS/PWG2022_CCS_C51C_CCSO4X2.5KM-12150-----FNL-000100--.pdf

Both are mixed in terms of impairments and in terms of male/female, and so both seem open as well. What's up with this?

324.1.1 At PWG and WCH, each nation can enter 1 team per relay competition. Any athlete can only participate in one relay competition. In other events the jury may decide to allow more than one team per nation, mixed nation teams, and athlete participation in more than one relay competition. An athlete may not compete for more than one team per competition.

Distance: Mixed relay and Open relay - 4x2.5 km (sit ski course/standing course/sit ski course/standing course)

1st leg: 2.5 km classical

2nd leg: 2.5 km free

3rd leg: 2.5 km classical 

4th leg: 2.5 km free

324.1.2 Mixed Relay: the combined percentage of each team must be 335% or less, calculated by summing the individual percentages of the athlete in each leg with reductions of 15% per leg for female athletes and 12% per leg for sit ski athletes (female sit ski athlete: minus 27%). There must be at least one-woman taking part.

324.1.3 Open Relay: the combined percentage of each team must be 375% or less, calculated by summing the individual percentages of the athlete in each leg with reductions of 15% per leg for female athletes and 12% per leg for sit ski athletes (female sit ski athlete: minus 27%).

324.1.4 Each team may consist of 2, 3 or 4 athletes. For examples of possible team compositions see “Examples for composition of relay teams” published on the WPNS website in the rules section.

I’ve copied/pasted some of the main relay rules above. Here’s a link to the rules and regulations as well: https://www.paralympic.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/2021_09_30 WPNS_Rules and Regulations_2021-22_0.pdf

Posted

Masters :USA after the finish (very audibly this time), “I want to race against honest people!”

She yelled, “fuck!” immediately after crossing the line and looking at the timing board. She went over to (I believe) Aaron Pike, who tired to calm her down/stop her from voicing her frustration, but she still shouted that comment right into the camera.

Posted
17 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Is there a livestream? I cant find any on YT. 

Yes, there are livestreams on YouTube via the IPC. However, Arena Sport bought the television rights for Montenegro according to the IPC.

Posted

:CAN advanced to the ice sledge hockey final after a 11-0 beat down of :KOR

Ice sledge hockey results starting to look more like women’s ice hockey results at the Olympics :p

Posted

PLANTEY!!! :ARG

No matter what, this will be Argentina’s best result at the Winter Paralympics to date.

Edit: He finished one spot off the podium, but that is now the best result for any athlete from South America at the Winter Paralympics. @LDOG @konig

Posted

Two races down, two comebacks completed. Course conditions aren’t great, but the racing has been pretty solid today.

Santeri Kiiveri :FIN just won Finland’s first gold medal in alpine skiing at the Winter Paralympics as well. @Finnator123

Posted
7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Oksana Masters said something like "not one of them is classified" or something right after the finish? Maybe I heard wrong :p 

For what it’s worth, I thought she said, “not when they’re misclassified and cheated.”