website statistics
Great Britain National Thread
Posted
8 hours ago, hmc16 said:

There's still 3 days left of the games, and Team GB seem to be peaking right at the end (men's curling final, women's curling semi-finals, good performances in halfpipe qualifying), but I've been doing a bit of analysis to see just how disappointing these games have been for GB.

Before the start of the games, I made a prediction of where I thought every British athlete would finish - I made a realistic prediction, an optimistic prediction, and a pessimistic prediction.

So far:

• Met/exceeded optimistic prediction: 10 (22%)
  • Met/exceeded realistic prediction: 21 (47%)
  • Met/exceeded pessimistic prediction: 38 (84%)
  • Didn't meet pessimistic prediction: 7 (16%) (includes 2 DNFs)

So overall, 47% of British athletes have overperformed or performed where I realistically thought they would finish, whilst 53% have "underperformed".

The overperformers include the men's & women's curling teams, Makayla Gerken-Schofield in women's moguls, Kirsty Muir & Katie Summerhayes in women's big air, Summerhayes in slopestyle, Rupert Staudinger in luge, Farrell Treacy in short track 1500m, the mixed team SBX team and Cornelius Kersten in the speed skating 1500m.

The underperformers include Hall/Gleeson in the two-man bobsleigh (albeit they crashed on run 3), James Woods in men's big air, Charlotte Bankes in SBX and Katie Ormerod in slopestyle & big air.

Either way, will be interesting to see how GB finishes off these games. We have a few remaining chances; my realistic predictions for the last few days were:

• Alpine Team Event: round of 16
  • Four-Man Bobsleigh: top 5
  • Two-Woman Bobsleigh: top 18
  • Musgrave (50km CC): top 20
  • Young (50km CC): top 50
  • Men's Curling: final (already achieved)
  • Women's Curling: semi-final (already achieved)
  • Kenworthy (Halfpipe): top 15 (already achieved)
  • Atkin (Halfpipe): top 6
  • Kersten (1000m Speed Skating): top 12

I can see the two women challenging for top 10 if they have a good first two runs. They could well beat the performance of the four man. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Curling: :CHN 8-4 :GBR

Bobsleigh: Brad Hall 18th (59.95) in his first training run and 20th (1:00.23) in his second. Mica McNeill 10th (1:02.59) in her third training run and 11th (1:02.77) in her fourth.

Alpine Skiing: Dave Ryding 16th after his first run (55.13) and 10th overall after a second run of 50.44 for a total of 1:45.57

The four man team don’t really look like medal contenders.

I think it’s all down to the men’s curling team to get at least a bronze. Otherwise it’s medaless.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Curling: :KOR 9-7 :GBR

Cross-Country Skiing: Musgrave came 46th with a time of 41:44.7 in the Men's 15km Classic, while Young came 51st with a time of 42:24.0.

Poor performance from Musgrave. I can’t seem him getting top 10 in the mass start. 

Posted
52 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Bobsleigh: In the third 2-man heat, Brad Hall came 10th with 1:00.31.

Don’t think we getting a medal there. Zero medals is looking more and more likely every day. I cannot see either of the curling pairs making the semi’s on their form. 

We had 50 athletes this time. We will be lucky to have 25 in Milan. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Treacy in 9th with 2:12.00.

After Day 5, still no medals.

The only real hopes are maybe one in either of the curling. If they fail it’s the bobsleigh that makes up the best of the rest. But honestly I think zero medals is quite likely and will be the worse since 1992. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Short-Track Speed Skating: Farrell Treacy came in third with a 2:16.880 in his quarterfinal and is through to the semifinals. Some good news!

That’s a decent result for him. I will be very surprised if he makes the final through

Posted

If any medals are won it be on ice at the Curling. Maybe Bobsleigh. I really doubt any will be won on snow which will be a massive step backwards. I dread to think of the reaction of no medals at all. That would destroy all the progress made. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Hahaha this Olympics goes from bad to worse. Bankes in third and out at the quarterfinal stage.

I feel for all the youngsters who will be funding less next cycle. Not easy to get other funding in winter sports. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

We definitely need at least one medal tomorrow. Muir is also a medal chance (outside I think). But these Olympics have not been great at all so far, early days though

The nightmare scenario is no medals at all. That would be a major blow.