website statistics
Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News
Posted

This is why I can see major problems for the Olympics in the coming years. Trump has currently been pro - Olympics but if he becomes president again I can certainly see him threatening to ban countires from coming to LA 2028 for political reasons. Ditto all this makes it harder to get a 2030 bid. I can honestly see all three major bids withdrawing soon. 

Posted
2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Diplomatic boycott? :lol: what is this? Grow some balls and do a real full boycott if you care that much about human rights. 

Typical duplicity of anglophone international relations.

They know athletes would not support it. In 1980 many athletes didn’t support it when their countries boycotted. 

Posted
14 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

14 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Just been confirmed. 

Chuna has already taken revenge on Lithuania for announcing a diplomatic boycott. Could see revenge here but that could backfire on China and push the USA out of the games entirely. 

Posted
14 hours ago, Monzanator said:

UEFA and CONMEBOL won't support the biennial World Cup and this makes the whole point moot. Not even worth to talk about it.

However FIfa is one member one vote and it’s been calculated that it will pass because of everyone else. And those countries won’t accept a u turn. Fifa could split into two. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

And football only grows bigger with more games and more money invested. Nobody will boycott FIFA World Cup, football is basically bigger than Olympic Games (most certainly than the Winter edition where half of the world doesn't even have a shot at any medals).

Did you miss the news that the Scandinavian FA’s are considering quitting Fifa due to the prospect of the World Cup every two years? 

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

I am sure. Tibet, Hong Kong and Taiwan are all lost to the Western world. COVID has allowed China to call people racists whenever someone says "Chinese virus". NBC pays too much money for WOG to be held without Americans for instance. Nobody in USA would tune in to watch Russians and Norwegians win :p

I am sure NBC has a clause in the contract that says no Americans no broadcast.

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

No sporting boycotts will happen. I'm amazed how delusional people are. The Tibet situation was much bigger in 2008 and they held the Games there. Money is more important to IOC than people realize. The days when they banned Ingemar Stenmark from taking part in WOG are long over :lol:

I’m not so sure.