website statistics
Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems
Posted (edited)

Ha, let's have some fun. I'll predict handball, volleyball and field hockey.

Men's volley: :ARG:BRA:CAN:USA:FRA:ITA:POL:RUS:SRB:EGY:IRI:JPN 

Womens volley: :ARG:BRA:DOM:USA:GER:ITA:NED:RUS:SRB:KEN:JPN:CHN

Men's Field Hockey: :ARG:AUS:NZL:BEL:GER:GBR:ESP:NED:IRL:FRA:IND:JPN

Women's Field Hockey: :ARG:CHI:AUS:NZL:BEL:GER:GBR:NED:ESP:CHN:JPN:KOR

NOTE hockey: I'm predicting in both gender :RSA will win african championship but will reject quota.

Men's Handball: :BRA:EGY:QAT:JPN:GER:DEN:ESP:SWE:NOR:CRO:SLO:FRA 

Women's Handball: :BRA:KOR:ANG:JPN:NOR:NED:ESP:ROU:FRA:DEN:SWE:RUS

Edited by LDOG

hace 5 horas, dareza said:

https://www.kajaksrbija.rs/ep-beogradu-kvalifikaciono-takmicenje-evropske-igre-2019/

Here they say that European championship in Belgrade this year will be qualification event for European Games 2019 and also said that European Games will be qualification event for Olympics 2020.

Sorry, european championship of what exactly?

hace 1 minuto, vinipereira said:

It depends on how many sports we will follow this. I think we will win the Games but the gap to second place nation will be much smaller - just in Swimming alone we should lose about 10 golds?

Yes, other south american countries are improving in swimming (assuming everyone else takes the best).

Also, there is the altitude which could help colombian athletes in some sports.

hace 28 minutos, vinipereira said:

Well, some of our top players were interested in participating at the 2015 Pan American Games, but the confederation decided to send a youth team that did quite terrible. Maybe some of our best players (which are not in the top 100) could participate this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they send a young team again - a strategy that we'll follow in many sports like Swimming at the coming South American Games.

eh... would it be too crazy for me to say that Brazil risks losing first place at SA games by doing that?

hace 13 minutos, vinipereira said:

Maybe now we'll see a better list of players at the Pan American Games.

I don't think so, any top 100 player doesn't really care about the olympics, they only care about money and ranking points. If they have to go to the olympics, fine, but they won't go out of their scheduled tour to qualify. Also, Panamerican games 2019 almost overlaps with Montreal M1000 (and some atp 500 the week before), so forget about any top 80 player.

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems
Posted (edited)
hace 3 horas, Vojthas said:

The qualification systems will be discussed during pre-Olympic pre-Session meeting of IOC EB in Pyeongchang, to be exactly on the second day of the meeting - Sunday February the 4th. But, as we know, the time of publication might be different for different IFs.

I've got a "leak" about field hockey - there's going to be some "Hockey Series Open" which will be the first step to Olympic qualifications. One tournament will be held in :POL Gniezno with Central European countries, two of them will go further. @LDOG Do you know something more about this new competition (I assume it's some lower level after destructing the egalitarian World League in favour of Hockey Pro League for chosen elite countries)?

I don't know about that name but it's probably like old the world league rounds for lower ranked countries. That should places in final olympic qualification tournament, which will be one big tournament with 12 teams.

Edited by LDOG

hace 15 minutos, Dragon said:

Francisco Saubidet Birkner? Another from the skiing family?

They have more Olympians than some small countries...

Yes, he's a cousin of them. And also his brother and sister do windsurfing too. Big family :d

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News
Posted
hace 1 hora, heywoodu said:

By the way, if we're comparing with the Ancient Olympics, we might as well also throw out women entirely, throw out the use of clothes and stop professionals from competing :p (although I'm not sure the Greek competitors were considered amateurs)

Half the tickets were free back then, so that's a good thing to go back to :d 

You should also throw out sports like waterpolo or handball too because they didn't exist back then either, but that's not the point I'm making. The competition between nations is the very basic core of the games, If you even ditch that then it's not the olympic games anymore, other than in name.

Posted

I'm with Gianlu.

The forced gender equality is bad, but this stupidity would be worse.

The point of the olympic games (I mean, from ancient greece) was athletic competition between nations (cities/kingdoms back in the day) and crowning national heroes. This would throw away all that tradition just for the sake of "inclusion".

Posted
hace 33 minutos, heywoodu said:

Sorry for Africa, but if there are only 6 spots and there is no African nation coming remotely close to that level, then there should definitely not be a special protection for Africa.. 

I agree with you, my comment wasn't sarcastic :p

Posted
hace 4 minutos, phelps said:

well, this is one of the things that have already been decided...

it will be JPN + the best from each Continent among those ones who will make it to Super 12 tournament 2019 (and that tournament will only feature the top 12 nations in the world ranking, with no geographical protection)...

if less than 5 continental zones wll make it to super 12 2012, then they will take into account the best team from that tournament, even if they come from an already qualified continent)...

That's fantastic then, no Africa.

What are the european chances of making that competition?

Posted

The only good thing about Karate is that it will give medals to smaller nations.

Baseball in the current conditions (no MLB, only 6 teams) is worthless. Skateboarding is ridiculous. Surf i'm not a fan of either.

hace 2 minutos, Mkbw50 said:

I'm not expert, but isn't softball like the female version of baseball, like hurling/camogie or 110m hurdles/100m hurdles? In that way, softball could just be like Women's Baseball, just called Women's softball. Or am I mistaken?

No, Softball is a sport of its own, very similar to baseball, but with some differences (the size of the ball, the pitching technique).

There is both men's softball and women's baseball, but they have never been in the olympics.

hace 3 minutos, phelps said:

if it's gonna be the case, it's already decided that the Olympic qualifying tournament will be the Premier 12 in 2019...

and since Premier 12 is made only by the best 12 teams in the World Ranking, we can be sure that there won't be much regard to the Continental representation (even if I guess that they would guarantee the start of at least 3 Continents, giving th berths to the 3 medallists, Japan - host of the Games - the next best American team and the next best non Asian/American team)...

The main issue is whether to give a direct quota to Europe or not, with Africa is not even a debatable... no.

I don't see any problem with any of those sports being added, my only issue is the limited quota all of them will have. Especially the case of karate and climbing.

I just hope that for Baseball and Softball they don't give continental quotas. Just make a world qualifier and have the best 5 teams qualify (maybe the world baseball classic?).