website statistics
18 minutes ago, call me matt said:

I tried to contact him on Twitter, but no response. I'm a bit worried about him, but I do hope he'll be back here soon

I also attempted to contact him during the summer, but got no reply :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News
Posted
14 minutes ago, dcro said:

Either way, it's disappointing. I have always been a huge fan of Olympic banners and colors displayed all over the host city. It gives the Olympics its visual identity.

Yeah me too, but if cuts have to be made, I’d rather it be there than events, athletes, sports, venues, etc.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

Regarding how the IOC will deal with Covid...

The idea right now is:

- If an athlete tests positive, they will be removed from the Games, and their quota will be reallocated if possible.

- If there is a vaccine available, athletes will most likely be forced to take it if they wish to compete at the Games.

There’s a bunch of other countermeasures too, but these seemed like ones to make note of.

Posted
2 minutes ago, dcro said:

I guess this means cross-country obstacles will be simple logs...

We’ll see. I think they’re taking more about banners outside venues, banners in places people can’t see, etc. I do agree they might be less creative with the obstacles though.

Posted
1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

Thoroughly agree.  Most of all - vastly simplified opening & closing ceremonies.  

National anthem

Athlete’s Parade

Oath & Speeches

Light the flame

Goodnight & Good luck.

Where did you read that? I haven’t been able to find specifics on the ceremonies.

Posted

So the IOC approved 50 measures suggested by the LOC to simplify the 2020 Summer Olympics. Coates also suggested these may become permanent changes for future Games as well. @intoronto and I are still working on trying to find a full list of the measures, but here’s some of the more interesting ones we’ve come across so far:

- Reduction of officials attending the Games by 10-15%

- No athlete/team welcome ceremonies in the Olympic Village

- Venue decoration decreased by 30-40%

Posted
20 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

No it's not. It's impossible to fit in so small sample every social group, every age group, every profession group, residents of cities and villiges, every region residents, every religion group etc. All that can have influence on people opinion and to be honest everything has. Education, sexual orientation, skin color, everything. And if you want your research to be a reflection of reality, so to say, you must have representatives of all possible groups in it (with equivalent percentage of ich).

Okay, so this part of Statistics gets complicated real quick, but I’m going to try and explain it.

Now, I’m not really sure which study we’re referencing here, since I think @Vektor was speaking in generalizations about the findings of multiple studies. Here is how one of the those studies could represent the population though.

So let’s I’m doing a study on wether or not people in a certain town like the color orange. We’ll say my fake town has a population size of 10 million people. I’m going take a 1,000 person sample for my study. To get the 1,000 people for this sample, I use a method known as “random sampling.” Essentially people are chosen a pure random opportunity to participate in this study. Obviously people in town are very diverse. They come from different social classes, some might have immigrated to my town rather than being born it in, and there are different sexualities, races, religious beliefs, political beliefs, genders, etc. represented in the population. Hopefully, when I take my random sample, the percentage of those involved in the study who identify as let’s say, transgender, matches the percentage of those who identify as transgender in my town. If the percentages match, then the sample is probably an accurate representation of my town.

Obviously, this is the tricky part of these studies. A random sample can be an accurate representation of a population, but there’s some caveats to that. So, if we assume the studies that have been published about the Japanese public’s opinion on Tokyo 2020 used random samples, and those sample were representative of the target population, then those studies are most likely accurate.

Statistics can go from very simple to understand, to incredibly complicated in the blink of an eye. This is a simple principle at heart, but there are a lot of factors at play. I’m going to leave a link to an article from the The BMJ (a peer-reviewed journal) that explains sampling, in case you don’t get (or don’t like) my explanation. Link: https://www.bmj.com/about-bmj/resources-readers/publications/statistics-square-one/3-populations-and-samples

Posted
32 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

A sample of 1000 or 2000 is not enough to decide what entire population speaks. However if the same survey is held in January next year it could be more. Moreover IOC will leave no stone unturned if govt thinks about such a decision. Irrespective of anything Tokyo Olympics are all but assured to happen now in 2021. 

Statistically speaking, if that is a random sample, than yes, it could be.

You are correct that public opinion could be swayed by January as well. It’s worth noting that Japan was already sliding into a recession pre-Covid, so economic conditions in Japan could worsen by 2021 as well. It’s also important to remember how much money has been spent on saving the Olympics, over other badly needed public projects. 

I would also add that forcing a country to hold the Olympics will definitely damage the chances of future games being held. Therefore, it would not be in the IOC’s best interest to take legal action against Japan if the Games aren’t able to held next year.

1 hour ago, bmo said:

And now the Olympic depression starts to hit :cry:

Which will be cured by the Summer Paralympics :d

It also won’t be much of a depression since there will only be six months between Tokyo 2020 and Beijing 2022.

On 06/08/2020 at 05:32, rafalgorka said:

Off- Topic

If you could choose a city who could host Summer Olympics in future, what would it be? 

But you can choose only a City which hasn't been a host yet. 

For me: CAPETOWN is my first choice. 

Then Warsaw and Boston. 

Lima or Taipei

34 minutes ago, h.toshmatov said:

Sorry for off topic question. There were page where were shown all conquered licenses by countries. can anybody share link please?

Do you mean all the quota places countries have earned? 

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Uniforms
Posted

Ehh, not my favorite, but their are some nice parts of the look. I like the faded “Chinese Taipei” on sweatshirt. The bag is nice too.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Werloc said:

God forbid we didn't use every single colour of our flag in the clothing. 

We can't completely get rid of the mismatching shoes, they're too important.

What would your ideal outfits look like?

Posted

In fairness, that does look incredibly European (or at least what Americans think all European fashion looks like) :p

Posted
2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

The fact that it's yellow is probably the least of its problems :d

and the athlete with the skirt can start a career as a flight attendant after her start in the Olympics.

That’s always been an opening ceremony joke in the US. People always joke about how all the athletes look like flight attendants :p

Posted
11 minutes ago, Werloc said:

That yellow dress is a crime against women.

I like yellow, so maybe I’m biased. I love the subtle addition of the Lithuanian flag trim at the bottom though. 

Lithuania’s formal wear isn’t the best (probably), but it’s not terrible either.  

Posted
6 hours ago, Werloc said:

Okay, so first they postpone the Olympics and now this... Our athletes can't catch a break...

116015468_3414977335219908_4530521687502716238_o.jpg

I like these :wub:

Sad realization that I should have been flying over the Pacific Ocean right now :cry:

I feel terrible for anyone involved in the Games; Athletes, officials, spectators, volunteers, locals, journalists, etc. We should all be preparing for the world’s greatest festival of sport, instead most of us are sitting at home wondering if the Games can even happen next year.