website statistics

From what I’ve read, and from it looks like; the Olympic Channel will be live streaming every day of the torch relay: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/events/detail/tokyo-2020-olympic-torch-relay/schedule/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News
Posted

Russian athletes will not be hearing “Katyusha” while on the podium: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1105346/russian-olympic-committee-katyusha-cas

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Rumors saying the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics games will be without foreign spectators. Only local audience will be allowed. IOC should apparently announce it officially within a week

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Basically one step closer to cancallation.

Japan is in a lose-lose situation pretty much. Their government has invested so much into the Games that cancelling them would be a major economic waste. However, holding them without fans in some capacity will also be an economic disaster since they won’t get a return to their investment.

Posted
21 hours ago, dcro said:

Are you registered under Totallympics News Service or...? :mumble:

Technically we’re registered with the IOC as Totallympics Media.

Posted

It would be a little hypocritical of the IOC to ban/sanction the Italian NOC, when they didn’t take action against the US NOC, after the US government passed a law essentially saying that international competitions with US athletes fall under our legal jurisdiction...

Posted
9 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

It's normalcy here so you don't want to miss the games for a stupid reason. 

Uhh...last time I checked India still has active Covid cases, and hasn’t reached anywhere near full vaccination.

Posted
1 minute ago, NearPup said:

It would have to be contingent on Japan agreeing (and potentially guaranteeing them 2032).

Right, if the IOC is willing to award Japan 2032, and Japan accepts that outcome, then an idea like the one you proposed is worth consideration for the IOC.

Posted
4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

At this point I think the IOC should seriously consider holding every discipline in a different region of the world for 2021 (or 2022) and make these "virtual" Olympics. They get their money from the TV contracts anyway, as long as they can put a product on TV it doesn't particularly matter where it's from.

Right, but the Japanese government would take a big hit from that, and while that might not directly affect any future bidders, the effects of such a decision would haunt the bidding process for years to come I feel. If there’s no certainty that your city’s/country’s investment in the Games will yield results, why would you be lining up to host the Games at such a great cost?

I don’t think what your suggesting is a bad idea, but I think Japan counted too much on getting money from spectators and tourists. As whole, the international sports community has under valued the modern capabilities of television/streaming production, as well as, the doors those technological advancements open up.

Posted
10 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Behind a paywall like every shitty english newspaper. Can someone give me some quotes from the article (that isn't the first paragraph)?

Hopefully this helps: 

Posted
3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

So sad.

I feel for those who had to miss 2016 and were aiming for 2020. I also feel bad for the baseball and karate athletes who will not live their Olympic dream...

50km Race Walk wouldn’t get a proper goodbye. Mixed Trap also will have never been an Olympic event.

I would still caution against taking this reporting as final at the moment.

Posted
5 hours ago, phelps said:

but this is already the last edition of the Summer Olympics...:yikes:

or do you dare to still name "Olympic" that farce in 2024 with breakdance, canoe extreme, the 35km team race walk and all the other "artistic", urban and youth sh*t they enforced instead of throwing it out...:whistle: :bones:

so, how could the ioc reputation be worse than what already is? :pope: :facepalm:

I get being upset about new inclusions, especially when some of them are questionable, but throwing away the prestige of the entire Games over a few events is ridiculous.

Posted
6 hours ago, Federer91 said:

The Games will happen with or without the approval of the japanese people. They should have thought of this 10 years ago, or whenever they got the Games. If they indeed pull a cancelation stunt, Japan should be forbidden to host any major events for the next 70 years and will have to live with their failures.  Oh right, they can't, because suicides will always be bigger, than any Covid there...

This is such a poor take, and that “joke” at the end is in extremely poor taste. 

20 hours ago, MHSN said:

I wonder why Olympic schedule should be considered confidential ? :d but well if breakdance is an Olympic sport, nothing else surprises me anymore

Most likely they aren’t final, and they don’t want media organizations seeing them and reporting them as such.