website statistics
hace 4 horas, rafalgorka dijo:

Day 8 Saturday

1. ARCHERY – Men Individual
  1. USA   Brady Ellison
  1. MAS   Khairul Anuar Mohamad
  2. BAN   Ruman Shana

I think the chances of having the same podium twice in individual archery in a major competition are astronomically small :p

Doing every event is too much for me, I'll just leave my picks for team sports in one post and that will be it. Of course, I'm assuming that certain teams would have qualified in a bunch of sports. My predictions for 2021 would be pretty much the same except 3 or 4 positions across all sports I think. The changes would be mostly related to a high age average of some teams or some sports in which the squads can drastically change year to year (men's football and men's rugby mostly).

Spoiler

Basketball 3x3 M

Gold - :USA 

Silver - :SRB 

Bronze - :POL 

Basketball 3x3 W

Gold - :RUS 

Silver - :CHN 

Bronze - :USA 

Basketball 5x5 M

Silver - :AUS 

Bronze - :ESP 

Basketball 5x5 W

Silver - :ESP 

Bronze - :SRB 

Baseball 

Gold - :JPN 

Silver - :KOR 

Bronze - :MEX 

Softball 

Gold - :JPN 

SIlver - :USA 

Bronze - :CAN 

Rugby 7s M

Gold - :NZL 

Silver - :RSA 

Bronze - :GBR 

Rugby 7s W

Gold - :NZL 

Silver - :CAN 

Bronze - :AUS 

Handball M

Gold - :DEN 

Bronze - :NOR 

Handball W

Gold - :NOR 

Silver -  :NED 

Bronze - :RUS 

Football M

Gold - :BRA 

Silver - :FRA 

Bronze - :ESP 

Football W

Silver - :GBR 

Bronze - :NED 

Hockey M

Gold - :BEL 

Silver - :AUS 

Bronze - :IND 

Hockey W

Gold - :NED 

Silver - :ARG 

Bronze - :GER 

Volleyball M 

Gold - :BRA  

Silver - :USA 

Bronze - :POL  

Volleyball W

Gold - :SRB  

Silver - :ITA 

Bronze - :CHN 

Water Polo M

Gold - :SRB 

Bronze - :CRO 

Water Polo W

Gold - :ESP 

Silver - :USA 

Bronze - :HUN 

hace 5 minutos, rafalgorka dijo:

Don't worry. On day 5 Fede is swimming 200 freestyle ;-))))))

I expect 6 silver medals for Italy in first 4 days. Which one of them has the biggest chances for gold in your opinion? I have my bets here ;-)

day 1 - Vito Del'Aquilla - Taekwondo Men -58 kg

day 2 - Elisa Di Francisca - Fencing Women Foil Individual

day 2 - Manuel Lombardo - Judo Men -66 kg

day 2 - Gabriele Detti - Swimming Men 400m Freestyle

day 3 - Alessio Foconi - Fencing Men Foil Individual

day 3 - Diana Bacosi - Shooting Women Skeet

day 4 - none

The skeet, clearly. They have 2 of the best 3/4 shooters IMO (world ranking doesn't mean much in this sport).

hace 2 horas, rafalgorka dijo:

which players older than 23 years will take part in the olympics tournament? W will see Mess i and Mo Salah. 

There is zero chance 34 year old Messi plays this tournament after the Copa América the month before :p

All the wealthy anglophone countries will surely pull out this week. A bit because it's the logical thing to do, of course, but also a bit because they would never miss an opportunity to show off their leverage against the big international sport organizations (IOC, FIFA, etc) :rolleyes:

hace 1 hora, Sindo dijo:

It would screw up 2021 sports calendar. 2022 would be even worse because would screw up 2021, 2022 and also 2023 sports calendars.

Athletes who would be at the peak of their careers this year could not be in their peak anymore in 2021/2022. In sports like Swimming you could have an athlete who in 2022 wins 3 golds, the same athlete if the Olympics were this year as planned would not have even competed because too young.

We would have an Olympic quadriennium with two Olympic Games in the same quadriennium. Qualifications would be screwed up for Tokyo and (if it will be Tokyo 2022) I fear also for Paris 2024 Olympic Games qualifications would have to change.

I'm sure that 90% of olympic sport international federations would sacrifice whatever calendar they have planned for 2021 in order to have their olympic event contested. Too many of them have total dependence on olympic-related revenue. 

As for the peak of athletes, it is what it is. There have always been athletes that peaked in the middle of an olympic cycle and didn't do anything in OG. It's luck and it's the law of sport.

Qualifications, like Monzanator said, can always be simplified. It's not a big problem.

hace 6 minutos, dcro dijo:

Meanwhile, German stars Isabell Werth and Sonke Rothenberger are all in favor of postponement.

Isabell Werth is basically the most honest athlete I know of, so there's that...

http://www.eurodressage.com/index.php/2020/03/19/isabell-werth-tokyo-olympics-incomprehensible-delay-tactic-ioc-and-japanese

Still, I'm waiting for one of these big name athletes to categorically say "I won't participate, end of story."

Until that happens, IOC won't take their opinions seriously, sadly.

They should be held in the set dates as long as:  

- Japan has covid completely under control by that date. 

- Foreign spectators are banned. Only athletes and their supporting staff should be allowed in the country. With strict health controls before entering the village. 

- No athletes are affected by big obstacles that difficult their training (e.g. training facilities closed) by mid April. 

If any of these conditions isn't fulfilled, then I think they should be postponed for 2021. Naturally, the 3rd condition is the most unlikely as things are now.

Edited by LDOG

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News
Posted (edited)

Really good article.

I think the only thing that can postpone the games is a situation of most of the world's top athletes boycotting the games. Otherwise the games will go on, without spectators or however. 

Edit: sorry for the new page. People, I strongly recommend you read the article linked by Phelps.

Edited by LDOG

For us, Del Potro most likely.

He just had another surgery in the knee and there just isn't enough time for him to comeback and qualify with any criteria for the games (I think).

Funnily enough, last time he won a medal while entering the competition with protected ranking. This time there isn't even chance for that.

hace 4 horas, SalamAkhi dijo:

Give some European countries the same conditions of qualification and they would do it the same if not better :p

All these teams except women's volley are good enough to qualify in world level qualifiers (some of them qualified that way). 

There is also a decent chance ARG will qualify more teams than :BRA, for the 1st time.

Justo ahora, JoshMartini007 dijo:

This one

That is for sports in which you qualify by reaching a certain mark, doesn't matter which competition it is achieved as long as it's achieved. 

Basically, this is only for athletics and swimming.

hace 5 horas, dcro dijo:

Some of these prospects listed are just way too optimistic. And even with such optimistic standards, Mali in 3x3 basketball is just ridiulous. They never even took part at WC. Their ranking is very high so they probably are not even eligible to enter any qualification tournament. And finally, 3x3 basketball has very limited pool of favorites, much like the regular basketball... So Mali's chance of a medal is not 1%, it's not even 0.1% or 0.001%. It 0%.

Eh I remember last time we didn't even list here the jordanian medalist and also that a universality shot put athlete from Congo was 4th, so... I don't think I should tighten the criteria. Otherwise the list would be 7 people and this thread would be boring.

As for Mali, are you certain they have no chance left to qualify? Like, there aren't any more events to earn ranking points? (How far away are they from a place at the OQT btw?).