website statistics
29 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Even if the did allow crowds in Tokyo they would not be allowed to cheer etc so it would be eerie in any case.

You can clap, use percussion instruments...

I think this is complete nonsense, they have less than 2k daily cases (still nothing for such a populated country) and the risk of having an outbreak for allowing some spectators is very low.

Really disappointed with the japanese.

13 minutes ago, NMQ said:

I'm more pessimistic than the last time. Likely medals I have only Nacra 17 (Lange-Carranza) and women's field hockey. With a bit of luck and if the planets align maybe one of the other teams, one of the doubles in tennis, women's 48 kg in judo (Pareto) and men's 58 kg in taekwondo (Guzmán). Anything else would be a total surprise for me.

Fede Gil has an outside chance in shooting, I mean, he just won a world cup medal with almost every opponent present. But yeah, it's shooting..  

Everything looks very grim, even those you have as "likely" I think are "outside" right now. We should be happy if we get anything out of this mess of a preparation our athletes are having.

13 minutes ago, Vektor said:

If athletes want to make a statement at the Games, do it with the one way that has been allowed since the start: by winning medals. That's what this event is for. If it was enough for Hungarian athletes in 1956, it sure should be enough for everyone. 

What about athletes from poor countries without funding for sport and, consequently, no chance to win medals? for example, some oppressed person from Yemen or Afghanistan that wants to make some statement.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Of course I know why. I'm not some 20 year old millenial who doesn't even know where Taiwan is located.

Still nobody has answered my very simple question :p This tells me the political double standards are very much alive :coffee:

I have answered:

21 minutes ago, LDOG said:

IMO you can protest anything you want, but whether something will come from it is a different issue. 

My posture is: As long as it's not an aggression towards another athlete or official, something impeding the normal running of the competition or something that breaks the law in the host country, you're free to do or say whatever.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

That doesn't answer my question.

Besides, Chinese Taipei can field a team at the Olympics while Crimea can not so it's not the same.

I don't give a shit if Crimea is russian or ukranian or if Taiwan is chinese or not. The point I was trying to make is that the politics are already there at the olympics, even in the simple name of a team. 

11 minutes ago, Dnl said:

And what if Laurel Habbard will win gold and the other competitors will decide to protest it, then is it legit? What subjects consider ok to protest?  Is one agenda is ok and another is not? 

IMO you can protest anything you want, but whether something will come from it is a different issue. 

11 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I wonder if pro-political members here would support Russians going with "Crimea is Russian" message? :lol:

We already have something very similar with the existence of a team called "chinese taipei", so...

Sports is so interwined with politics that anyone saying it should be apolitical is laughable.

Also, people who want x to be apolitical usually have a very defined ideology: they are pro status quo almost always.

-Some peruvian in the surfing.

-India in field hockey (men) after 40 years. 

-Italy gold in women's volleyball.

-Flora Duffy in the triathlon.

-Something for Kuwait in shooting after they were "stolen" 2 medals in 2016.

-Any nation that can win first medal, of course.

16 hours ago, Vektor said:

I guess Argentina just gave a precedent for Japan for the cancellation with Copa America. This can mean that Games are similarly fucked if there's a rise of COVID cases at the worst possible time. 

Lmao no, Japan will be fine. 

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Why? It's pretty funny how people are getting batshit mad (not like "oh this is annoying", but absolutely mad) :p 

Although yeah, wouldn't be missed I guess. Luckily we have the Ignore function, which I assume everyone who is annoyed by this user is using because they don't want to see his posts..

You can ignore yes but I think an example should be made out of this troll. 

1 minute ago, macozar said:

Nadal is not sure, and it's just about season planning, not about pandemic (i'm from Spain). Hideki is a golf player, do you remember golf and zika in Rio?

If hoy hate Olympics, what are you doing here Orangehair?

He's the forum's troll, just ignore.

Welcome by the way.

15 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

That’s good. 

More likely Japan is is preparing that People travelling from the highest risk countries to simply hotel quarantine outside of Tokyo for 10-14 days before being allowed near the City. They must be plenty of rural hotels that could isolate all the staff throughout the quarantine and for 10-14 days after to prevent an increased risk to the Local population. 

Yes, I'm sure IOC will be ok with that...  

12 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

If it makes you feel better, Argentina is an elite nation in football. Many other nations would give up every other sport to be in Argentina's position in football ;)

We're not even top 8 anymore but that's a debate for another day :p anyway, I care more about olympics than about football since many years ago.

8 hours ago, NMQ said:

Right now i´m pessimistic for :ARG, all our teams/athletes with medal chances are either a mistery or not in their best form, or compete in events that are hard to predict. All in all, I´d say something between 1-3.

This will be the first time since I follow games that we will go with nothing but outside chances. Very grim looking. It's also telling that it's pretty much the same people that had chances 5 years ago, only that older and in decline. We haven't been able to develop a single new world class athlete. Even Chile has bigger chances than us, embarassing.

The thing is, they did this survey right when Japan is having another peak, just like in january. Of course opinion against will be higher in the middle of a peak...

PS. the "peak" in Japan is a laughable (for a country of +100M) 2000 daily cases.

5 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

0-3 medals for Mexico, none of them gold like in Rio.

Most likely to succed: Tae kwon do, Diving, Football

Outside chance: Archery, Athletics, Gymnastics (artistic)

Baseball and softball have higher chances than football.