website statistics
1 minute ago, TeamGB said:

No, but I thought that often host nations get a lot of quota benefits and it would be interesting to see without.

Fair enough.

I support some tweaks to continental quotas, but host quotas should almost certainly stay. If you're going to invest a couple million/billion dollars into hosting the thing, we might as well throw you a bone :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies
Posted
12 minutes ago, hckošice said:

and now what ? :p what we will do tomorrow ? :hairpull:

Sleep. :p

Then prepare for the Paralympics :cheer:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Ceremonies
Posted
1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Okay but seriously that CGI Paris 2024 flag looks terrible.

The rumor was that the flag was supposed to be a real, and a huge stunt. I’m not sure what happened with that…I thought they did a test run last month. Clearly they had to pivot to the CGI version.

8 hours ago, Quasit said:

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. :d 

The origin story of San Marino is definitely worth looking into if you’re not familiar with it…

(European micro-states generally have great origin stories :d)

8 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

To be fair, almost no anyone watch San Marino TV :p

I watched hours of it during the 2017 GSSE :p

7 hours ago, dcro said:

I am at this point where following all these finals started feeling like a job. Same thing happened in Pyeongchang. Sigh.

Yeah, I started getting that feeling a few days ago. I don’t think it means I’m not enjoying the Games, but perhaps more that I’m becoming increasingly tired and thus following the Games is becoming a bit more tedious because of that.

6 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I used to watch everything but now I just watch a few things that I enjoy (or I'm curious about). The others I just see the results.

Yeah, I’ve tried to watch all medal sessions this time around and I don’t think it’s the most enjoyable way to follow the Games. There’s just too much I want to see, and you can’t really follow anything in earnest when trying to keep up with multiple events at once.

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yes and no.  They have streaming of everything, so they can satisfy that audience and not have them resort to alternate means (say, getting a VPN to watch from another country).  But they'll still embargo news outlets from showing anything until a set time, especially for events they know they'll show on primetime

The issue for them is actually written news. They might be able to embargo broadcast news, but they can’t really do anything about me getting a news alert on my phone the minute I wake up that says “Biles pulls out of Team Event at Olympics,” or “Suni Lee wins All-Around Competition at Olympics,” or “Rapione scores goal to take US Women into semifinals.” While that might encourage someone to watch the prime time coverage; it might also make them skip watching the Games for day since they already know the outcome.

Plus, they might be able to embargo broadcast news from showing footage from an event, but they can’t really stop them from reporting on results, controversies, etc. with generic images or newsflashes/chirons.

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted
33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't really feel like one day is more full than the other, since they're all full :p 

For me, first four days were quite full, yesterday and today have been noticeably lighter, but tomorrow is the busiest day by far (so far). It’s mainly to do with the crazy amount of finals during the morning/early afternoon tomorrow.

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted

I don’t know if anyone had tried to make their schedule for tomorrow yet, but good luck. Super Friday I guess :facepalm:

Just to add to the cauldron lighter conversation…

I think Osaka is a fine choice, but it would have been even better is she was paired with Hideki Matsuyama. Two modern Japanese sporting icons coming together in a show of equality, resilience, and excellence. That’s just my two cents on the topic though.

Obviously, there’ll be a lot of mixed feelings about that ceremony, but in my opinion, they really stuck the landing at the end there. That last creative segment was great, and the torch relay/lighting went well and met the moment.