website statistics
Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count
Posted
6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Personally I believe that the concept of nationalities/nations should be abandoned and obviously this would also mean getting rid of competitions between nations.

Olympics are intrinsically about nationality since ancient times. It's always been about nations competing so they don't do real war.

Without nationalities the concept of olympics loses it's purpose. Maybe it'll be for the better, but it won't be the olympics anymore and we should therefore close this website.

Thankfully I don't need to navigate that awful olympics site since there's a mexican company that had rights for all of latin america (minus Brazil) and streamed every single event and match on YouTube. Everything will be there forever for us in latam to watch :cool:

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted

This few minutes must be the first time since day 1 with no competition going on (excluding night hours between 12am and 7/8am of course).

Post-olympic depression kicking in :cry:

I wonder how many countries can we get to. 76 so far.

Ghana has already secured one. Armenia and Kenya will be there for sure.

Nigeria probably as well.

T&T, Bahamas, Grenada, Burkina, Botswana, Puerto Rico all have solid chances.

I suppose Algeria and Morocco have some chances in athletics? (don't follow it that closely).

Guatemala has last chance with Badminton.

Chile has one last shot with Wrestling today, Moldova same. Kyrgyzstan later. Maybe pentathlon will save Lithuania.

Am I forgetting someone else?

18 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

For Europe you mean, or? Cause Greece, Czechia, and Portugal are all a little bigger than Sweden by population, though all four countries are between 10 and 11 million people.

Probably means biggest sporting wise. As in, that they have won more medals in history. 

1 hour ago, Quasit said:

Of course with that mindset you're underestimating how many generally interested people there are educating themselves and looking up new words once they don't know something, like me. :p 

As an educator, I'll just say I'm happy Monzanator is not a colleague of mine having that outlook on "99% of people" :wacko:

8 minutes ago, JamDH said:

It's being reported that the issue is more finances than anything, seems strange to only realise that less than 2 days from the OC if that is the case. I hope the athletes didn't just learn of this. It just gets worse and worse ?

It's not that strange, they probably were desperately trying to find funding until the last minute but couldn't gather it.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1 medal in athletics is safe and 2 in swimming are likely? Does Brazil have any medal contenders in athletics apart from Dos Santos? In swimming 2 medals would be the absolute best case in my opinion.

They have the shot put guy who was 4th in WCh but he got covid recently I believe so he may not be in best shape.

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted

I work in a school and I'm so lucky that this week and the next one we have the annual two-week winter break :cool: (it was the same for Rio).

I want olympics in late July forever (except if someday we host).

4 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I guess lots of us have been wondering what exactly is the view like from the other side of those Olympic rings. I was browsing through the :CUB teams social media, and I found this rare pic of newly arrived athletes waiting their turn!

mayday2.jpg

I don't fully get the joke but judging by the banners this seems to be the pic of a celebration rather than a protest :p just saying in case your intention was showing the latter. 

Almost all our delegation has arrived to the village with no problems except for the 49er fx crew who got involved in the good old "flight close contact" nonsense and had to stay 3 days locked (they are back training again but they will still be monitored until the 23rd).