website statistics
Ice Hockey 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted
13 minutes ago, hckosice said:

@heywoodu  the first ever dutch to sign and play in Slovak league :) 

First dutch hockey player in our league wants to win and make new friends https://sport.aktuality.sk/c/411121/prvy-holandsky-hokejista-v-nasej-lige-vitazit-a-najst-si-novych-priatelov/

I'm sure he'll be good at skating in one direction 

Posted (edited)
Just now, hckosice said:

Yes, I know, but it´s not the only one, the rumors has been growing so fast lately that it may be true. I even heard a rumor that the first idea was to have a joint "Czech and Slovak" team called team Czecho-Slovakia :lol: but it was rejected because they came to an oppinion that other european stars will lost this way the chance to play in this "business" tournament, especially the likes of Anze Kopitar or Leon Draisaitl

Might as well divide the German team in half as well... :d  

Edited by ofan

Posted
16 minutes ago, hckosice said:

pffff again no :SVK but this time it looks also no more team :CZE :facepalm:oh c´mon fuck off NHL, fuck off Bettman and fuck off all your money above all else politics...and the most funny thing in this all is they call it World Cup, just embarassing themselves...nah

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/breaking-format-potential-2021-world-cup-hockey/

I think this is just an idea from Sportnet, rather than any sort of plans put forth by the NHL. In a perfect world, the NHL goes back to the Olympics and they scrap this World Cup all together. 

Men's Ice Hockey NHL 2019 - 2020
Posted
2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, the hockey was still payed outdoors back then? So Seattle had the natural weather to field a hockey team :lol:

No, it was played indoors :d 

Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

There's too much money around to limit the league to 20 teams. The revenue is huge and everyone wants to take the piece of that cake. Seattle based on it's location was never a founding or historical member of any of the big leagues. Seahawks, Mariners & Sonics were all expansion teams from the 60s/70s where we had the first big influx of new markets trying to muscle past the historically big players like NY, LA, Philly, Chicago etc.

Yes I know that, I just wish it weren't the case. The league has become far too diluted and dominated by superteams. With the exception of this upcoming season, for the past 10 or so years, there have always been at most only 3-4 teams that could win the championship. 

Since this is a thread about hockey after all, Seattle was the first American city to win the Stanley Cup - so yes, they are an important historical member of one of the big leagues. It is great to finally see the sport return. 

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

I always liked the Sonics jerseys when I was a kid. NBA in Oklahoma City is a joke tbh. They have enough teams in the desert and basically nobody cares about the Mavericks & Suns while Spurs are merely relevant because of the 5 titles & Gregg Popovich. I expect OKC will be really at the bottom of the league for the next decade now that Westbrook is gone.

Yeah, there should only be about 20 teams in the NBA at the most, and Seattle should be one of the cities. It's a shame what happened, but I'm hopeful we'll see a team there in the future - most likely as a result of relocation, because I can't see the league expanding any time soon. 

Posted
Just now, phelps said:

that's also another reason...together with the local people's refusal to pay more taxes to help financing a completely new project...

Not to mention the awarding of an NHL team to Seattle was contingent on a new/renovated arena - Key Arena was not suitable to host hockey. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I still don't understand why would they want to renovate this arena so much but they refused to build a new one for the Sonics? :dunno:

That's because they found an ownership group willing to do it. Howard Schultz is a jackass

35 minutes ago, NikolaB said:

Canadian girl can compeete on male's competition and without ny problem win on some second division tournament 

No they cannot. They would be blown out by practically any men's team. They're too small and not quick enough compared to the men

Interesting: due to sanctions by the United States and UN against North Korea, they are not allowed to use proper equipment manufactured in other countries. However, when they arrived in PyeongChang they were given proper equipment, but will have to return it when they leave the Games. 

12 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Still cant believe that we wont watch best players in Korea. Its very shamefull that one privately hold organisation is stronger that IOC. How IOC compeled with the fact that NHL wont let their players to compete in Korea? Whats next,prohibiting NBA players from Tokyo... 

Every year IOC do something to degrade itself...

It's not the IOC's fault. This was a negotiation between the IIHF and the NHL. It came down to NHL owners not wanting to risk losing their players to injury, as well as the fact that games would air in the middle of the night and provide no value to the NHL, NBC or Sportsnet in terms of television revenue.

The NHL will be back in 2022 because they want to break into the Chinese market, and will also be back in 2026 assuming the Games go to Calgary (which is looking increasingly likely). NHL players will demand that the Olympics be included in their next arbitration agreement or there will be another lockout.