website statistics
Bobsleigh 2023 - 2024 Discussion Thread
Posted

Kaillie Humphries :USA is taking a pregnancy break this season. She plans to return next season to prepare for 2026.

Article: https://www.nbcsports.com/olympics/news/kaillie-humphries-pregnant-baby-bobsled-ivf

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Sorry, I missed this before.

The IOC counted them as official medals at the time they were awarded, their status has never officially been changed but the IOC just doesn't include them in their records anymore.

Weird, so Monaco does technically have an official medal then?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

47 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Nobody counts them here too and I thought they weren't officially recognised events anymore.  Although on olympedia they count them so who knows :mumble:

Maybe @Dragon can provide some additional info?

11 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

I don't think those architecture, literature etc. medals are counted as official

Yeah, I don’t think the IOC counts them, so Rinaldi :MON has the best official result at the Olympic Games for Monaco.

32 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

And an Olympic NR for :MON, comfortably beating :LIE:AND:SMR & even superpower small countries like :LUX & :MLT

It’s :MON second best performance at the Olympic Games. Julien Médécin won a bronze in architecture in 1924.

Nico had a new favorite toy :p

I’m so happy that Meyers-Taylor :USA managed to get a medal after all she’s been through this season.

29 minutes ago, evil betty said:

where do you see this, the official olympic site still only lists the monobob in their athletes section and the IBSF have not altered their confirmed quotas page?

They were shown as entered in the results management system, but I see they have been removed now.

:GBR rejected their quota in women’s monobob, which was reallocated to :ITA 

Updated quota list available here: https://www.ibsf.org/images/documents/downloads/Quotas/OWG_2022/IBSF_OWG_Beijing_2022_-_Bobsleigh_Quotas.pdf

:NGR first under the line in women’s monobob :(

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, both :TTO driver and main pusher have competed for :GBR less than a year ago, and obviously took an easy way out to make it to the Olympics. They would make a pretty lame movie. :p

From my understanding, Harris Thomas doesn’t have a :TTO passport, so Andre Marcano will serve as brakeman at the Olympics. Two-time olympian Mikel Thomas has been nominated as backup. 

Here is Marcano’s World Athletics profile: https://www.worldathletics.org/athletes/trinidad-and-tobago/andre-marcano-14244879

Bobsleigh 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread
Posted
44 minutes ago, dcro said:

His claims would have had more legitimacy if he had some competition on the African continent. At least two other countries. But doesn't seem like he did much to develop the sport in Africa following the continent's debut in Pyeongchang.

As far I’m aware, he helped a that Gambian skeleton athlete set up his national federation. He also held a few combines/tryouts for his own NF, with a skeleton athlete attending an IBSF training camp earlier this season. 

In many respects, he’s limited in what he can do. From my understanding, his sponsorships are just enough to cover his training, travel, competitions. He needs support from elsewhere to really get something serious off the ground.

Of course, it’s also hard to get other African nations interested in a sport when there’s no guarantee they’ll stand a real shot at the Olympics. Why would any sprinters, throwers, cyclists, lifters, etc. transition to bobsleigh/skeleton when there’s even less of a chance they’ll find some success there?

Posted
8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Let's get a reality check here. Frimpong is the one creating havoc here, via tabloids, because... they are not letting him go to the Olympic for free like they (accidentally) did four years ago?

And even if IBSF/IOC got drunk and changed it, what kind of dangerous precedent would that set? Give every athlete free quota forever?

I think there is something to be said about in inequity in the universality and continental representation process. Summer sports are now mandated to guarantee both those things, while winter sports are ambitiously recommended to do so. 

I would agree that it shouldn’t be changed now, but I think it’s something that should considered when the IOC constructs the qualification system principles for 2026. 

Bobsleigh IBSF World Cup 2021 - 2022
Posted
20 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Rip Canada lost its third 4 man sled, due to Covid essentially... 

though moving forward, I think the 4 man event should be limited to 2 sleds per NOC, which would essentially allow two more countries to compete.

I’m not really impressed by any of the IBSF’s qualification systems. The change I’d suggest would be to switch to to ranking based allocations for multiple sleds. For example, if you have 3 sleds in the top 15 of the world ranking, then you can have three sleds. If you have two sleds in the top 25, then you can have two sleds. Otherwise, you get one sled.

40 entires for the two-man at the Europa Cup. Easily the most entires I’ve seen at an IBSF event in a while. It’s definitely crunch time for Olympic qualification.

Posted
15 minutes ago, dcro said:

120 is awarded for a NA Cup win.

For reference, our 2-man crew qualified for Pyeongchang while counting some 13th places from the NA Cup (60 pts).

Oh, is it different for skeleton then. I was looking at last years results, and win only counted for 75 points.

Posted
1 hour ago, dcro said:

Virtually guaranteed to qualify at that rate.

Meanwhile, Croatian crew getting a DQ (most likely due to being overweight) is quite upsetting...

It depends on how crowded the Euro Cup and World Cup fields are. 68 points for a 20th place World Cup finish and 75 for a NA Cup win. You need to be at the top of the NA Cup to really cash in I think.