website statistics
Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted
4 minutes ago, Werloc said:

In before Simona Fourcade debuts in 2021 to get all of those medals that he didn't win whilst his brother reigned supreme. 

But that’s not how it would (or at least should work). That’s why the issue is complicated. Most athletes I know want a fair competition, I think someone would receive a lot of blowback if they did that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Biathlon is doing just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If there’s a chance for improvement, take it!  Biathlon is doing fine, and being ahead of game could mean that it will be doing fine for a long time to come.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's simple. We don't :p

Biathlon is core to only few countries, mostly in Europe. Transgender athletes are not a problem esp. you have to shoot well enough to make a run.

It's a problem for global sports like athletics or swimming. But biathlon? Nah...

I fucking knew you’d be transphobic the minute I posted that. Transgender athletes are going to be a thing. It will be a problem for biathlon one day.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

We kindly offer them the wondrous world of eSports :d

Edit: and breakdancing of course

As funny as that is, it’s not really a solution.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

thank god you're not after our three women.

I could add me high school anatomy teacher to get you to four :p

Posted

You don't have to change every single sport there is. Like I've said, change isn't always better and making a change for the sake of the change is just nonsensical IMO.

I don’t believe that it’s sake for the sake of change. Sports aren’t permanent, they change overtime. It’s okay for me to want to try new things to see if it improves a sport. 

Posted

My crystal ball has seen the future! :cheer:

Then again, top nations wouldn't like to see smaller nations suddenly becoming players so they would oppose that IMO. It's happening in ski jumping already. We used to have 13-14 teams in the 00s, now they can barely enter 9Russia

And I’ve stuck my crystal dick into the vagina of truth, but that doesn’t mean that I all-of-sudden know untested future outcomes.

Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Exactly. I found the workaround already: don't do it.

So then how do we let transgender athletes compete?

Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

And France and Norway get a Lithuanian to compensate?

Is there even enough to give each team one?

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

So basically double chances for men. Yeah...no.

Yes, that would be a problem, so we’d have to figure out a workaround.

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

Laser rifles are like hamburgers from grass IMO :lol:

Hell, maybe we just switch to e-sports and have Fourcade & co. play a biathlon game online :whistle:

IBU seems to want an e-sports division...

Laser Rifles wouldn’t kill biathlon by the way, and we don’t know because we haven’t opened ourselves up to trying.

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Obviously I was sarcastic. That'd be the start of the death of women's sports.

3 classes: Men, Women, Open. It’s the best solution until I hear a better one.

Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Athletes who are like #4 or #5 or any team would disagree. If you only want two best per nation for a mixed relay then it hurts the depth of the roster. If you're #5 then you have no shot of making the team. Several lesser athletes have thrived in the relays which helped their status for individual races (Peter Sendel or someone like that).

That would actually encourage smaller nations, so I have literally zero problem with that. Again, we’re still assuming a conclusion from something we haven’t tried.

Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This would be the best option then: anyone can field a relay of 4 athletes and they can choose whomever of their nation they want, no limits on men or women. Full equality :evil:

Not opposed to an Open relay. I think every sport will have to have an “open” class one day.

Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

And in Japan they make hamburgers from grass. You really want to eat grass and call it ham? :lol:

What!? That’s such a Red Haering. That has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

Posted
1 minute ago, Werloc said:

Why not go ahead and have a non-binary gender relay as well since it's 2020? :p

I've always wondered if the best women on tour would be able to crush our team's men. 

Didn’t say we had to do with gender-on-gender, I just said that there’s not point to having the gender relays.

Posted

Yeah in in cross-country skiing the big teams have 50 freaking pairs of skis per athlete and a whole science team of wax technicians behind them. I know it ain't gonna happen, but some sort of cap on the equipment budget would be nice.

That would definitely be a great solution to try. Limit the pairs of skis, limit the support team, etc.

Posted
5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Athletes not needing/having their personal rifle would actually be something I'm in favour of. It's such a huge obstacle for smaller nations to even have a decent rifle.

Laser rifles are also much cheaper from my understanding. Plus, you don’t have to pay for bullets or safe storage.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

VAR was supposed to fix the bitching about referee mistakes in football and look, there is more bitching about VAR now. The idea of "fixing" or "improving" something looks good on paper but then reality kicks in. The same will happen if biathlon even thinks of laser rifles. And will the athletes use their personal rifle all the time like today? Obviously not IMO.

But we don’t know any of that, until we were to try such a thing, we wouldn’t know the consequences. 

People hate that you can’t “game” the rules under VAR. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Well, the World Cup I think has less pursuits this year, but really a fuck tonne of relays that I would definitely cut down on to add one more individual or do something like a single-mixed concept with 30 athletes starting with short skiing intervals and 4 prone + 4 standing shootings with 20 best qualifying, 5 qualifying that collected most points during that stage and 5 qualifying based on best shooting percentages. 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah relays are weird. I mean, biathlon has way too many, cross-country barely has any. They could just meet in the middle.

That’s why we should just do away with the gender relays like @Wumo said. Relays are the one discipline where there’s no excuse for not mixing men and women. It would also mean more room for events like the individual.

Posted
6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wind tends to affect laser light less than a physical bullet, for example.

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Have you ever heard of split rounds in biathlon? :p

Both great points :yes I would definitely take away from some of the external challenges of shooting. Hypothetically, should laser rifles be introduced, maybe we should make the targets smaller to compete the challenge?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Ski jumping is way bigger in Poland than USA. Reports are 2020 could have been the last year of FIS Cup events. Climbing the hill by foot shouldn't take place in XXI century. Without the elevator Iron Mountain has no chance of hosting World Cup events anytime soon. Someone who preaches change should embrace that.

If you want "insane stunts" rather than World Cup that's your choice. I bet incidents of people breaking legs or necks won't make the global news though.

Yeah we should have elevators and whatnot in the hills, but that’s expensive to build and maintain, and like I said, those tiny communities don’t have the money.

Posted

Yeah...the issue isn't that laser rifles can't hit the target :p It's (partially, but mainly) that they take away huge part of the skill needed for shooting.

How so? (I’m not really aware of the issue there)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yep, Steamboat Springs is dead and Iron Mountain hasn't done any improvements since 1996. It's a miracle it hasn't ended like Harrachov yet.

Iron Mountain stays opened because the Free Ski community likes to use it for insane stunts. In fact they went so far as to repair parts of the hill a few years ago. 

Edited by Olympian1010