website statistics
Biathlon IBU World Championships 2020
Posted
23 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's not a question how many like it but if the big nations like it. If they do then it's a wrap and the single mixed relay is here to stay. I don't think it happens at the WOG, two relays is too much tbh.

I’m certain it will be on the program in 2026.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
5 minutes ago, phelps said:

only, and if only, they don't cut any other of the current Olympic disciplines (especially the Individual race)...:evil:

Yes, nothing needs to be cut (especially since no extra quotas would be required)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

So I gave it another chance...but I can not help myself, I can not find any sympathy or excitement for this single mixed relay. This is The most useless and ridiculous biathlon event, this should definitely stay on the auf schalke exhibitions gala or so

Hard disagree on that. I find it highly competitive (meaning the race themselves are always rather close), and easy to understand. People seem to like, and more nations are able to take part. It also allows the less deep teams to have a chance at a medal (though that didn’t happen today). I hope it’s added to the OG soon.

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted
8 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Yup! 

I stay away from my computer for the day. Wow!  40% of this thread in 8 hours!

I’ll save you time, don’t read it.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

World isn't build on morals. Sorry to bring you the bad news but the climate change crusaders ain't running OPEC out of business. Not in this century anyway :p

After the next global war which will be nuclear we will all start from the scratch anyway :bye:

This is the attitude that kills. Well, I can’t change the entire world at once, so why should I try? Sport is a moral place, almost religious in many aspects. Climate change directly effects this sport we all love, so we should what WE CAN to limit the impacts. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's a winter sport. Half of the world is automatically excluded from being competitive in it unless some single maniacs move to a country where there is snow present. You can't fix that no matter what bright ideas you have.

Looking at winter sports, biathlon has the most athletes and nations competing at a high level. And you're not satisfied with it and want to change that?

It just doesn't make any sense.

Please show me just one other winter sport where there are more athletes and nations competing at the highest level. Just one!

Right, but there are still countries that have the right conditions, but that aren’t competitive. 

I’m greatly satisfied with the amount of countries, but that shouldn’t stop the IBU for pushing for even more nations. 

To you it doesn’t, to me it does.

There isn’t, we could try to up those numbers too

Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I selected the medium option and then switched to "No" when any of the Yes options meant you had to tell in which ways :lol: 

Right, it's been fun but it's long past bedtime :d See ya

Yeah, the IBU got a paragraph for me :p. Mostly practical stuff like, have recycling drives at events, clean up after yourself, clean up the bullets, cut down less trees when making trails, etc.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I did. And I ignored all the climate change crap options. I don't care about that :evil:

Yes, of course. Sport should fuck the planet over! I forget about that Olympic moral.

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

Wind having an effect in outdoor sport? That's not an issue, It's called Mother Nature :p

Biathlon enters 100+ athletes in World Cup and even more in IBU Cup thru junior events. If someone wants to fix something that is not broken it's an automatic "NO" from me.

If we have like 60 athletes from 8 countries in biathlon World Cup then you might call for a change. But not when we have 100+ competitors from 20+ nations.

Many athletes doesn’t equal not worth improving. We could have more athletes, or more competitive athletes. There’s between 190-220 countries in the world depending upon your beliefs, 25-30 seems rather low. While 100 countries can’t reasonably compete, the number still seems low then.

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Did everyone fill in the survey though? Shame on everyone who's here and didn't.

Shame on who posted that. Look what them and the IBU started :p

Posted
Just now, Werloc said:

If we keep this up, we're going to get a brand new thread :clap:

Or have some magic erasing come tomorrow morning...

All I can say, is that @RobtheAggie will be very exited, confused, and then sad.

Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

I said before, don't fix something when it's not broken. Biathlon is not broken by any means and you want to fix it! Why? Just look at the cross country where they made all the format changes and ended up with Norway and doping-tainted Russia as the two-headed monster. Geez, I bet that was the FIS idea all along?

I approve change when it's needed like building elevators along the ski jumping hills. That's a change this particular  sport needs.

Ski jumping was unhappy about the windy conditions so they introduced the compensation points. And now people bitch whether the wind reading was correct because we have people winning events when they're jumping 10 meters shorter than others.

That’s your opinion. Looking for improvements is a good thing. It’s how we cure disease, come up with new technology, etc. That’s what set you and me apart. I move forward towards the future, while you stand still. 

I think wind compensation points were a good compromise to a difficult issue.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Werloc said:

I had that thought replaying in my head more than once or twice. Like one deranged person ruining it for everyone.

At least with 5 bullets in a magazine another biathlete would shoot the 'killer' before too much damage is done. Unless it's Jesipionok, with that 14s standing shooting, nobody would be left alive.

How am I supposed to react to this? I can’t sad cry, laugh, and be serious all at once.

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Yeah, although that's not my main reason for hoping there will be no shooting rampage in biathlon :p 

Maybe that’s why we don’t have events in the US...

Posted
5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Cross country has seen all the changes aka improvements over the last 20 years, Tour de Ski, sprints, team sprints, 10k mass start and etc. and what? It's only Norway and Russia that matter with even Sweden barely competitive outside of the sprints. Meanwhile the old fashioned biathlon has more countries fighting for top spots with its outdated rules, formats and distances. Go and figure.

Yes, I agree there were changes made to cross country that didn’t work. We should either for a solution, or go back to the original. That’s how we solve this stuff. However, there’s no magical solution that will make Russia or Norway less competitive. The sport is part of their culture. We also don’t know that the same will happen in biathlon, which is why should try things in moderation.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Wait a second, when did he become 20? The real mystery of this entire forum.

In fairness, I called myself 17 the other day, so...

Posted
8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nearly 15 pages in one evening in the regular biathlon discussion thread. If I didn't know any better I'd think one of the athletes had gone on a shooting rampage during competition.

That’s never happened right? People ask me that all the time, and I don’t know the answer. I sure it hasn’t, but I thought I’d check to play devils advocate.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You do realize Olympian likes to start a political war in every thread and thinks he's right all the time? :whistle:

And you don’t? 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

And who decides whether a change is needed? Some 20 year old American like you? Please, don't make me laugh... :lol:

Donald Trump would be proud of your logic in this thread. It's "MY WAY or the highway" :p

I’m open to discussion. The discussion you want is “All change is bad, it should be fired into space.”, and I take issue with that. You also love to debate about anything but the actual point of the conversation. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Exactly the sentiment I expected and why it'd be wise to just leave this out of here for now. In an incredibly complicated discussion, which transgenders in sports definitely form, someone doesn't agree and immediately the 'transphobic' flies around.

It’s transphobic to say that biathlon isn’t a sport for trans-people. It also has to due with the tone you say it in, and there was a lot of disgust there.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

No, it won't. It's a speciallist precision sport where being bigger and stronger actually doesn't matter.

Right, so there is a good chance for trans inclusion then.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Wumo said:

Well, not really a sentence you want to read before going to bed. I'm not sure how this will affect my sleep to be honest? :lol:

Sorry :p I just couldn’t like that opportunity slip by.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Werloc said:

has she ever been on skis before? If yes, we take her. 

Well, she’s like 75, so who knows. Fluent in the language, and cooks some good traditional food...