website statistics
11 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Watch me try and bring this thread back to biathlon.  

The last Biathlon World Championships was back in 1994 at Canmore.  Lake Placid had it back in 1987 and 1973.  Do you think we will see the World Championships outside of Europe in the next 15 years?  I know that in 2023 Lake Placid is hosting the World University Games, a step back into the limelight for them?  They are putting a decent amount of money into the biathlon venue there.  

That would make 4 potential venues in the US and 2 in Canada.  

Also as an aside, I sat in on a USBA zoom meeting (with permission) they are moving to a more regional concept with Biathlon Canada, and the Nordic Tour.  They want the biathletes to race in Nordic races as well as biathlon ones.  The races will be more localized to increase participation instead of trying to do a race series over the entire continent.  

Yep, looking forward on being 1 of the 5 (10 max) people there :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

27 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

IOC and their sponsors make money from the Olympics, the athletes make profit too, big stars get big contracts and in most cases Top 8 finish or something gets you national funding for the next Olympic cycle. The only entity of the Olympics that doesn't make profit is actually the hosting city itself. I fully expect Baku and Doha hosting the Summer Games within the next 30 years. These are two venues that don't care about the financial loss and would go places to show themselves off to the world.

Hell, Baku has hosted the European Games back in 2016 already so they're moving up the ladder to bid for the SOG sooner than you think. Doha has hosted or will host senior World Championships in football, athletics, swimming, handball, cycyling, gymnastics, weight-lifting so just about any traditional Olympic sport there is. Their only goal left is to host the Summer Olympics and it's only a matter of time when they do.

Hahahahahahaahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :rofl:

Right, so why would any city want to host the Olympics if it’s seen as a net loss. I love both Baku and Doha. They are excellent at providing world class venues, and Baku actually gets people to show up. However, we can’t be stuck in the Beijing, Baku, Doha, and maybe London/LA cycle forever. That isn’t good for the long-term health of the Olympics. 

European Games were in 2015. I’m very much impressed with Baku.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

39 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I think it was cool to see Summer Games in South America. I understand Europe and North America thinks they would do everything better themselves but it was a nice change of scenery.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I loved Rio 2016. It would be impossible to deny that the organization of the games wasn’t a massive cluster fuck though. Brazil also had quite an impressive deficit when all was said and done. You can’t really blame cities for feeling like the Olympics are a lose/lose situation. The IOC has failed massively at making the Olympics a sustainable event. They have initiated some change in the last 2/3 years, but there’s still a lot of reform that needs to be done in order to make the Olympics sustainable, marketable, and successful.

42 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, Putin basically ruined the Winter Olympics with his Sochi vanity project.

And Rio with their cluster fuck of an organizing committee.

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

In the 1970s-1990s there were lots of Swiss cities that bid for the Winter Olympics.  

1928 - St Moritz - Host

1948 - St Mortiz - Host

1960 - St Mortiz - 4th of 4 cities

1976 - Sion - 2nd of 4 cities (Interlaken and Bern also submitted bids to the Swiss Olympic Committee)

2002 - Sion - 3rd of 4 cities

2006 - Sion - 2nd of 2 cities

I think that the people of Sion and the canton of Valais are simply tired of being overlooked.  I know that they are always seen as a choice that could step up if something happened to another site.  Kind of like that girl/boy that you have been friends with forever and have failed to notice that they have become quite a catch, but you always have your eye on someone else.

Each of the Sion bids, had the sliding sports in St.Moritz.

The issue with the Sion bids is that the Swiss public was educated enough to know that hosting the Olympics was a poor choice based on the modern track record of the last few games.

33 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There's one problem about Lenzerheide, alpine skiing is still more popular than biathlon in Switzerland ;)

I wouldn’t exactly consider that a problem with the venue. It’s not like Biathlon is popular in the U.S., and Soldier Hollow is still a nice venue. Baku has a beautiful Aquatics Centre that often well filled for events, and Azerbaijan has zero Aquatics tradition.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

As far as Australian biathlon venues go, yeah :p But I haven't been there, so I can only really judge Obertilliach, Lenzerheide, Martell and Arber and although apart from Martell they're all excellent, Lenzerheide absolutely wins it :d 

From the ones I’ve seen, I’ve only ever been to Soldier Hollow, I really like Almaty, Les Tuffes, and Antholz-Anterselva (at least based off venues I can remember vividly, and love of their trails). I like venues that are really unique, and standout. I like trails with natural scenery, difficult climbs/descents, and unique layouts/features.

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nove Mesto in 2025 would be stupid if they already get it in 2024 for which they're the only bid? Minsk is a little soulless, Lenzerheide is absolutely fantastic, so Lenzerheide please :wub: 

Far and away my favourite biathlon place in the world.

I don’t know, Hotham is pretty state of the art :p

5 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Who calls a girl 'he' and 'his' btw

A translation website that can’t pick up on certain parts of the language is my guess...

1 hour ago, RobtheAggie said:

Interesting list of people who have retired since the end of the season.  There is a decent amount of turnover.

List one 

List two

The Swiss will miss Dolder and the US without a Dreissigacker will be interesting.  That is a long time family name in biathlon in the US.

Can’t believe @brunamoura didn’t make the list. I can’t think of a bigger biathlon star (at least on the forum)...

On 12/03/2020 at 05:38, RobtheAggie said:

Para world championships canceled in Ostersund due to Covid 19.

Which was a real shame since it was the first time they were a stand alone championships. I love watching the Blind Biathlon races, that laser system they use is awesome! I still think the sitting athletes should have to ski with the rifle though.

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2020
Posted

@NearPup that is a great take. I’d only add that relays make the most sense for mixed events. Men and women can compete in that format under their traditional distances (and against their own gender), and still work as a team to achieve a medal.

Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

You've offended me enough with the "Poles are racist pricks" comment. Stop playing the victim/political card. You've ruined this thread enough already.

I feel like your constant complaining about everything, and constant putdowns directed at others as some more to ruin this thread, but whatever. 

I admitted guilt for talking about Poland that way, and I even went to great lengths to personally apologize to you. I’ve done what I could to rectify issue. However, you’ve continuously brought it up, and from what you’ve said about “Polish views” and your recent election...let’s just I haven’t really been proven wrong. 

I’d love to know when I’ve played the victim card, I had a good laugh when I read that.

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

Stop feeding this troll. He will blow up this thread and leave nothing but ashes :redcard:

Says the dude losing his freaking mind right now! Me and @Werloc are having a nice, civil discussion about the relay issue. You can go ahead and see yourself out the door buddy.

Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

I absolutely can't read this guy anymore. He's ruined this thread like no other. I'm done with him :wacko:

Sorry? I guess I can’t talk about sport anymore. I don’t want to offend you further :wacko:

Posted
10 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Can't agree with you on this one. If we only had mixed relays, it would be the same four people running in every single one of them most of the time.

I wonder how many years will pass until someone other than the Boe brothers run for Norway.

These four people relays at least give a chance to people like Dale, Christiansen to perhaps come away with a medal from the championships. 

There are not a lot of opportunities to win medals and when 50% of them go to Fourcade, JTB, Roeiseland and Wierer, then there is not much chance for other athletes to come away with a medal, so at least they have a shot to feel like champions for once even if it is a team setting and not an individual victory.

For example, cases like Franziska Hildebrand, has been in biathlon forever, has a fourth place in the World Championships, would end her career without a single medal, but she was competent enough to get two relay golds with Germany so she won't end her career empty handed. 

I’m a bit conflicted when it comes to this. I totally get what your saying, and I agree that it’s a positive thing for athletes. But if the athletes that would be affected by the change can’t even earn a medal without the team event, have they really earned medal? I understand relays open the door for Norway #4, #5, #6 (as well as other powerhouse countries) to get a medal, but should we be rewarding those athletes? I also understand of course that some of these athletes actually end up playing a key role in relay victories, so that’s where I’m torn. I agree that it’s not fair to cut these athletes out, but I also think that athletes being carried to medals is unfair to the other athletes. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Gender equality is used in political campaigns all over the world. Who are you kidding here? We're not a bunch of 10 years olds to buy this as a sport-only question.

I see you believe politicians don't have enough power in this world already. George Orwell would be proud of the political control you're trying to enforce in this thread :lol:

So talking about an IOC initiative, and the ways it could be enforced in biathlon, in a biathlon thread is political now? I guess talking about national depth, and relays is political too? 

I have a feeling Orwell would be on my side here buddy. You’re the one trying to restrict views that against yours. Someone didn’t read Animal Farm or 1984...

Posted
14 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Thankfully politicians won't make these decisions. It's enough power of them if they control law making, finances and trade market all over the world already. Sport should be free of this political bickering.

You should post this in the Politics Thread under science-fiction tag and leave the Biathlon Thread to well... biathlon! :p

What about what I said was political? I get gender equality is a contentious issue, but I felt I stayed away from the politics of it. I simply stated why an event would be suited to replace two others. What I wrote above is completely about sport whether you agree with it or not. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, NearPup said:

What’s wrong with the men’a and the women’s relay? Why has this thread turned into a “should we remove the individual and the relays from the Olympics”?

I just see zero point for gender relays at this point. Relays are rather “pointless” events to begin with, and the IOC has indicted they want more gender equality and mixed events. Nations will have to be just a deep as they are now, but the emphasis will be placed on being deep in both genders. I think we should do away with the gender relays and embrace the mixed gender relays. 

The Individual should absolutely remain in the games, as I have maintained this entire time. I was just pointing out that it might be the most interesting of events, and that’s why it could be targeted for change and removal.

Posted
8 minutes ago, dcro said:

This would inevitably happen if it gets added to the program.

Anyone remembers the curling mixed doubles fiasco? It was all "sexy" and "exotic" with nations like Hungary taking world titles. Then it was added to the program under the pretense of giving a medal chance to smaller nations. But in the end the usual rich suspects took all the spoils, while Hungary and company didn't even qualify. :lol:

However, the IOC and WCF have learned from that error, and given the event more quotas, meaning that smaller nations can have a better chance of qualification. Small still do moderately well at the World Championships, there just needed to be more than 8 quotas available.

Posted
2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Shooting also matters in the individual - even more so than single mixed relay - and you're not a fan of that format so I don't get your logic at all :p 

I love the individual, I was just pointing out that it might not be the most captivating event, and I understand the logic behind that opinion.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, the classic relay at least forces nations to have some depth on the team. Single mixed relay means shit. It's male & female alpha where one penalty loop kills your chances. In classic relays teams have won it with multiple penalty loops before.

At least shooting actually matters in the single mixed though. That is a difference to the traditional relays.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

We don't need 3 different relays for biathlon. The single one is useless and frankly shouldn't be even on the regular schedule let alone the Olympics. 

No, I don’t want 3 relays either. I also don’t want the individual. We should just lose the useless gender relays.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Only if they remove the individual alltogether. Again, it's down to the leverage by the big nations. If single mixed relay becomes a Germany/Norway/France/Italy/Russia/Sweden playground then it doesn't make any sense other than rich getting richer. Poland once won a WC medal in the defunct team event and it hasn't translated to any success for our relay over the long run either.

I don’t think they’ll remove anything, I just think they’ll add the single mixed to the games