website statistics
Biathlon IBU World Championships 2021
Posted
22 minutes ago, dcro said:

So a penalty loop for the women will be much less influential than the usual. Always great to have something untested at big events. :p

It’s a relay, so the penalty loop has basically no influence anyway :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I dream of a day when the IBU releases a qualification system that doesn’t take hours and hours of analysis to understand. Oh, and when they make the actual standings that matter public.

Also, only 1 Individual counts, but 6 sprints do...At the very least make it 5 sprints and 2 individuals.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I guess have to take back what I said about it being unusual for California to have biathletes. Auburn Ski Club was the club I was taking about though (as being our only biathlon club in state).

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
30 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The meaning is simple, IOC, FIS and VADA can't get out of their own way, they can punish Russia but they can't punish Russians. Everyone knows Kuzmina's story and I bet people in Slovakia consider her more Slovakian than the Fialkova sisters :p

Kinda the aim of the sanctions. Give the state consequences, but let the athletes compete.

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

I knew the had their snow and size. But since all the urban hubs there are not associated with snow, it's difficult to imagine a biathlete from California making a national team.

While we don’t have a lot of clubs, the Lake Tahoe area is still fairly accessible for many people. The 80 (or as non-Californian heathens would refer to it as, Interstate Highway 80) goes through Truckee, which is just north of Lake Tahoe and Squaw Valley. The 80 runs from Sacramento, CA to Reno, NV and then on. 

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Nope. TV signal will only be produced on Saturday & Sunday.

Eurovision says that they’ll be live in 13 hours...

That stream will be unavailable in France, Poland, and US though.

8 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Lots of snow in California - more than six months a year sometimes up in the north-East.

Not this year (yet). We’re like the one place that hasn’t gotten much snow. However, we’ve been slammed with some storms this week, and so there’s a little more now.

First snow in the Sierra Nevada and Southern Cascades generally comes in October. Snow lasts well into April/May.

33 minutes ago, dcro said:

Biathlete from California? :yikes:

I know right! I think we have one club in Tahoe. It’s one of the few sports that is near impossible to get into in California. 

Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

In terms of total quota per nation, I think so. There might also be individual spots again like last time, for a small number of athletes from nations outside of the top-X, which are handed out based on a ranking that's not publicly available (the IBU Qualifying Points List).

Okay, so then the document I have might still be accurate. If it is, allocation works as follows: 

1-3 2020/2021 Nations Cup: 6 quotas

4-10 2020/2021 Nations Cup: 5 quotas

11-20 2020/2021 Nations Cup: 4 quotas

IBU Individual Qualifying Points List after the 5th World Cup in 2021/2022: 12 quotas (max of 2 per country to unqualified NOCs)

Reallocation: Next best athlete on the IBU QPL 2021/2022

Posted

Is the IBU still using this season’s Nations Cup standings for Beijing 2022 qualification?

If so, can those rankings be viewed somewhere?

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2020 - 2021
Posted

I’m honestly surprised that the Government of Finland hasn’t cancelled the first two World Cup stops. By my count, 7 nations have had positive tests in their ranks. That’s the worst in any sport this season so far, and by quite a number. 

Posted

The IBU could off-set their carbon emissions from their vehicle and plane usage. I’m not too familiar with specifics involved in that process, but maybe that’s an option.

Posted

https://www.biathlonworld.com/news/detail/ibu-announces-plans-for-first-trimester-of-world-cup-season

With the adjusted calendar, the BMW IBU Biathlon World Cup will kick off in Kontiolahti (FIN) as scheduled but then remain there for another week for the second World Cup event, before the circuit travels to Hochfilzen (AUT) for the third and fourth World Cup events. Originally, Östersund (SWE) and Annecy-Le Grand Bornand (FRA) had been scheduled to host two of these World Cup events. But, following consultations with the Organising Committees, relevant National Authorities and the IBU Medical Advisory Group, the EB and the organisers agreed reducing the number of stops on the circuit would protect participant health and minimise travel challenges.

Posted
2 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Pictures are here.  The last two are of the new lodge.

That’s going to be such a world class facility. Bobsleigh track right there next to cross country/biathlon center. Plus a nice lodge to top it all off.

Posted

@RobtheAggie Do you have any good photos of the new Mt. Van Hovenberg Biathlon Center? I tried to post some the other day, but it didn’t work for whatever reason. The facility (which includes the bobsleigh track, lodge, and biathlon/cross country center) looks really nice, is that the one they plan to use for Lake Placid 2023?

Posted
1 minute ago, justony said:

Yes, I ran Redbull 400 in Planica three times, it is brutal.

Probably the hardest hill too because of it’s size. 

I would absolutely love to do a Red Bull 400 one day, but the closest race to me is probably Park City.

Posted

@RobtheAggie that “Hit the Peak” event reminds me of the Red Bull 400. The Red Bull 400 is a 400m race up a ski jumping large (K125, K120, etc.). I think it’s a creative idea. I always wanted to run a 5km that was completely uphill. I never had the speed to be a good cross country runner, but I had/have very good endurance, and I enjoy hilly terrain.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Heywoodová

Not quite. Heywoodu can’t really belong to himself unless he was born asexually, which seems highly unlikely given my knowledge of human anatomy. From what I understand, we could have Bruna Heywooduová though :d

Posted
3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I'm not so thrilled of having 20 races at one venue. Things can be managed if they group the closer ones, so we can have only one repeat weekend if necessary. Plus they should wait and see, what is the situation with the countries at a later time. 

I’ll just be thrilled if there’s 20 or more races this season.

25 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Did they discover our biathlon thread? If so, we want more individual races @ibu  :)

#BringBackClassic :d

5 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Krasimir Anev announced today that he is done with the sport. This is his X time of threatening to retire, but maybe this time he is serious. Anev has a 7 year rivalry with our federations president Ekaterina Dafovska and by his words he can't take it anymore. It has been evident for years that both don't like each other. By my account he is 90% retired and 10% possibly competing for another country. Can't see him returning to the team this time around.   

That’s a shame Anev was one of my favorite “middle of the pack” competitors. He always seemed like someone who could put together a top 10 finish on a good day, but he just never quite got there.

13 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

For 2032 there is a candidacy from Istanbul, so you can add that to the list. :p

Not officially. I’ll hold off putting them on the list until more than a “national sports official” says they should bid.

5 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Yes, the IBU has been very helpful.  I only had to send one e-mail and got a great response.  Subsequent e-mails have helped been quickly answered.  Right now I am actually working on a relatively short term paper on Swiss Biathlon (more there than you might think) and a longer term one on the USBA.  Lots of really interesting things there.  The Swiss biathlon paper should be published in November.

Cool. I love when federations take an active interest in people’s work. I’ve found quite a few to be rather helpful, but some are just awful (here’s looking at you OCA, PGC, and Atos :thumbdown:). I’m glad that they’ve been supportive though because your research sounds interesting. Hopefully my contribution helped in some way :d