website statistics
Biathlon IBU World Cup 2018 - 2019
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

If that's already going too far, I might as well give up and find a permanent safe space.

Well I just wasn’t sure

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
2 hours ago, dcro said:

Wow, you probably have all biathlon gossip at your fingertips. :p

I do as well currently, as well as some 2030 gossip for some local mayors

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Awesome to see @Olympian1010 managed to get some pics with his heroes :cheer: 

I’m going to use your avatar as my target on the Biathlon range, when I try Biathlon one day :p.

Did I go to far on this joke?

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
18 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Sorry, I was reffing 6 HS soccer matches today, so I just finished watching the races.  Good races to watch.  Soldier Hollow is a great course, and most of it is within sight of the range.  Last year I went to the US Championships, and right after Lowell Bailey, Tim Burke and Susan Dunklee finished their races, they posed for pictures with my 12 year old son who loves biathlon.  Glad to hear the crowd was decent.  

Looking forward to the races tomorrow! 

Environments been great at the races. What an amazing place!

Posted
1 hour ago, Bohemia said:

I just watched the men's race and managed to avoid spoilers and I'm glad I did! So happy for QFM's second victory, it was a perfect race for him! Glad that Desthieux is once again on the podium :thumbup:

Great weekend for Christiansen, a victory and a 2nd place!

Gow 8th and Doherty 10th, nice :)

Both races were great to watch in person today :thumbup:. Even if I wished that someone other than France, Norway, or Germany won.

Posted
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Why is @Olympian1010 running around the course in a dinosaur suit holding an American flag? American sports fans are weird :p 

No, I was in a thong. Please...I’m not an idiot.

Posted
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Only after a race and when athletes didn't have a shitty performance :d 

So before the race when athletes are preparing and had a shitty race the day before? Also bring up said shitty performance and remind them that they used to be good?

Posted
11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Ran 15km yesterday, I can chill for a bit :p 

I'm glad you're enjoying it, how is the availability of information on site? (stuff like screens, good stadium speaker etc)

One screen that’s pretty visible from most viewing areas. We can pretty much walk anywhere around the venue. Their are opportunities to bump into athletes for selfies, autographs, etc. (I don’t know if I’ll do any of that). Speaker can be hard from a few miles away. There could be better seating though, a lot of standing room only.

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Chilling in bed watching biathlon is fun too :d 

#fatwoodu :p. It’s a great atmosphere, seems well organized. Only the third Olympic sport I’ve ever seen in person.

Posted
28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah it was visible to see something was going on with her :p 

The wait sucks when it's absolutely freezing, for me that's the moment to grab a magazine and just ride it out in a wind-free space :p 

It’s honestly not that cold (even for a desert boy). I’m just chilling out. Went for a hike around the course (basically walked the women’s course). Great venue (too bad the Europeans hate North American stops)

Posted

I don’t know if it was shown on the broadcast, but it happened in front of me. Kaisa got her ski pole stuck in bib, and took like 10 secs to get it out, coming to a full stop on the penalty loop. Got some great pictures of Kuzmina. Lot more local fans than I expected. Lot of down time between men’s and women’s with very little to do but wait.

Posted

It snowed last night in the majority of Utah, slow driving today. Scenery is amazing though. Definitely can see why an Olympics was here

Posted

Drove through 4 states to see my favorite sport, so the races better be good or else I’m boycotting Biathlon :p

Posted

I’m currently driving to Utah, will be there for the Pursuit’s and Relay’s (which are my favorite events anyway (besides the mass start))

Posted
33 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Since the US nordic combined went downhill over the last decade I thought these hills are gonna die like Thunder Bay in Canada? Steamboat Springs is probably still running and I wonder about the Lake Placid Olympic complex? I saw some Continental Cup in Iron Mountain ca. 3-4 years ago but that seemed very odd. World Cup hardly travels outside Europe other than Japan and the second tier goes to USA?

There are the hills at the Utah Olympic Center too. And there are a few not well known hills on the east coast. Also, there is the Whistler Jumping Center in Canada

Posted
3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, the alpine skiing rounds are held there before the actual European part starts. It's good that any biathlon competition is held in America even though that's like once every 5 seasons. However ski jumping World Cup is scheduled to return to Iron Mountain in two years time? I thought they demolished that hill ages ago? :p

No, the locals have put a lot of money into reviving it. There were a few articles on it published last summer. I’ve always thought they should visit Norge Ski Club’s hill (it’s a little small though)

Posted
7 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I think the IBU was under serious pressure to send a message to Russia.  I think it will be at least 4 years when all is said and done before they get another race.  I think Tyumen was the last one, but it was changed to Finland a few years ago.

Next North American visit will be Junior Worlds at Solder Hollow.  There was one year a bout a decade ago when they went Presque Isle and Ft Kent Maine two weeks in a row!

It’s because All European winter sports teams (maybe except hockey) refuse to and make a fuss about traveling outside of Europe. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Not having a russian round sucks and is hurting the sport!

Like the Russian Doping Scandal

Posted
34 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I wonder how weak the field will be this week in Utah.  

I know the Canada stage had to ruin my chance at seeing any good athletes

31 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Top 5 leaving the last shoot

Norway

Germany

France

Poland

Slovenia

Norway has almost a 20 sec lead over Germnay.  France is about 1 min behind Germany.

Pretty much the countries I expect to factor into the YOG next year (save Poland and Slovenia)

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Greetings all.  Glad to have finally found an active forum that discusses biathlon.  It is hard to find that here in the USA, especially in the South where I live.  I look forward to learning a lot from you guys and sharing my opinion.

Hello fellow Totallympian (and American)

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

:GRL:clap:

slettemark-19-osrblie-radost-mel.jpg

kadetky-individual-podium-mel.jpg

So, do you think she’ll switch to Denmark to be more eligible for the 2022, 2026 Winter Olympics?

54 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

No one can beat her now. :hyper:

Ukaleq Astri Slettemark writes sport history in Greenland. :champion:What a day for :GRL Greenland!  :cheer::clap:

Piluarit (congrats), Greenland and Ukaleq! I'm so happy for her. :cry:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, I don’t think she’s eligible to compete in the Youth Olympics. Plus, she’d have to represent those colonizers Denmark :p