website statistics
7 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

I get that,i was talking about the outside world

There's a world outside Totallympics?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I can't think of Chipotle without thinking of Chipotlaway :p

I think that joke is more true of Taco Bell than Chipotle, but I haven't eaten at Chipotle since the foodbourne illness incidents.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I wouldn't mind if people say the Netherlands is just full with people smoking weed while either ice skating or wearing wooden shoes :p 

100% the sterotype it gets in the US, if you add in windmills.

4 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

the same way plenty of Americans see Europeans as freedom hating,authoritarian loving cucks,it goes both ways.

I wouldn't really consider that the main sterotype of Europeans in the states. The main sterotypes would be based around the access to healthcare, ancient history, and high cuisine/fasion. 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is it wrong though when statistics say the average US family eats out 4 (!!) times a week? :d 

My family does eat out a lot, so we're not a good example. However, we have family friends who rarely eat fast food.

There's also a great deal varriance in the kind of fast food people our consuming. In California, designer fast food chains are popular (build your own sandwich [Jersey Mikes, Firehouse Subs, Jimmy Johns], build your own burritos [Chipotle], build your own pizza [Blaze Pizza, Pieology, MOD Pizza], etc.). Of course, burger chains, fried chicken chains, and more ominbus chains are popular too.

Just now, Biathlonfan said:

I mean,is it not accurate,Steriotypes tend to be steriotypes for reasons.

Well, our culture is more than those two things. Plus, there's a lot of difference from state to state.

2 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Ok,but this is old people excersicing,that's not people running in T-rex suits.

Yes, but the desire to have a bunch of senior citizens race is definetly an American trait :d

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Gun in one hand, some fast food or take out dinner or whatever in the other :d 

This is generally the sterotype you get when asking Europeans about America :p

3 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Pretty much what our commentator said ,excluding the publicity stuff

It's probably not terrible comapred to other Olympic sports, but comaprative to college or professional sports, there isn't as much coverage, marketing, etc. (generally).

International sports also just don't seem to draw US audiences they way they draw audiences else where in the world. It could be down to poor marketing or high competition from other sporting/cultural events, but I'm not sure in that regard.

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Understandably, the view from the track onto the mountains is absolutely fantastic, who wouldn't want to do an extra 450m? :p 

It's a great venue for spectating. There isn't a lot of natural obstruction, so you can see most of the race. The mass start and relays are awesome.

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In almost every international outdoor sports event in the US, from the Tour of California (cycling) to marathons to skiing, there's someone running around in a big T-Rex suit :d 

9 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Crowd a bit skinny - usually in the :USA local schoolkids get the day off math & go up to the track.

The race is being held mid-day Friday. People probably have work, school, and other business. Plus, biathlon doesn't have a lot of publicity in the United States, even if there is a dedicated community. The weekend will hopefully bring more curious locals, toursits, etc. 

2 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

What do you mean?  This was about 30 miles from Soldier Hollow on Saturday evening.

The winds were really bad. Like, you probably shouldn't shoot a gun in these kind of gusts bad.

Maybe Soldier Hollow was more protected or less affected? I don't know enough about the weather dynamics there.

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

The World Cup heads to Soldier Hollow next.  I am volunteering on the range Thurs-Sat.  Maybe I can be the guy who sweeps the range :)

Hopefully the weather is better this weekend. It was not nice in the Western half of the country the last few days.

Olle Dahlin (IBU President) is reportedly under investigation in :AUT 

Source: https://apnews.com/article/biathlon-ibu-investigation-dahlin-f63a39a410a2ce1b33bd3f23a0af4e3f

I’d hazard a guess that the IBU won’t be using those first two paragraphs in any promotional material :zip:

3 hours ago, hckošice said:

Retired 40 years old Anastasiya Kuzmina and Matej Kazár are in the final roster for the European Championships.

Kuzmina will start in Sprint & Mixed Relay, Matej Kazár in Sprint

Y'all need to let these two rest. They've earned it dammit :p

Honestly, assuming they want to race, it is cool that they show up every once in a while and try to be competitive.

Biathlon IBU Cup 2023 - 2024
Posted
1 hour ago, RobtheAggie said:

if the IBU Cup is about development, don't pull people out after they are lapped.   

Or find a way to split the race into two divisions…

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

:USA Got the possibility of medals in the mixed relays now.

I won't be gaslight like this :spank:

47 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Canada, the US and Japan are irrelevant in biathlon + the problem with travelling.

I’ve said it before, but if an IF’s main competition tour is only going to be in one continent (Europe or Asia in most cases), then they shouldn’t be allowed to use the term “World Cup.”

European teams/athletes/fans always complain about competitions outside Europe, but just imagine how athletes from Pan America, Africa, Asia, or Oceania feel.

Biathlon IBU Junior Cup 2023 - 2024
Posted
5 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

I am not sure that all 35 will start, but the fact that there 35 potential teams is great news.

Youth Olympic year. NFs need that exposure/funding :cool:

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2023 - 2024
Posted

Was she unable to find childcare? I know that’s a big problem for US athletes who get pregnant during their career.