website statistics
23 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

What is the point of having same teams playing in QF as they played in main round? :wacko: Can't FIVB for once make a reasonable format? At this rate I am gonna miss the third round final six lol

Because it's played in 2 countries a thousand km apart all the way to semis and they want to minimize the number of teams traveling in the final stages. 

With France out IMO Poland is already champion. 

Italy too inexperienced to win a final against them, Slovenia not good enough, Brazil not in shape to beat them away, Argentina never beats Poland.

Of course, this comment will age horribly tomorrow when they lose to USA.

1 hour ago, konig said:

What a disastrous performance of Argentina.........i will see the match with Serbia without expectatives.

If I had to pick ONE opponent from the top 8 for our team to play in this match (other than Netherlands) I'd have picked Serbia... but playing like they have played so far, with the ridiculous number of errors they give away every game, it'll be impossible to win.

So, I hope they take this full week before the match to find some spirit within them.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The Canada vs. Iran match will be important for us. That 11th world ranking spot will be very important for Olympic qualification.

Unless Russia gets banned for 2024 then 12th will be fine.

There is a whole world championship to be played soon, doubt that single game will matter too much for the ranking. 

13 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

I didn't think it would be possible to find a worse format than the one used in 2018 but here we go :facepalm:

It's literally a combination of 2010 and 2018, which were the two worst formats ever :lol: the single worst thing is the "all results carried" rule, ofc.

4 hours ago, dophuquy said:

I don't know why they put 2 teams in 1st round to the same pool again, they against each other twice in just group phase.

To make sure Italy keeps playing in Italy and Bulgaria in Bulgaria regardless if they finished 1st or 2nd in their first round pool.

Normally when there is only one host they distribute the teams in 2nd round like one group with: A1, B2, C1, D2. But with two hosts they want to make sure the local audience doesn't lose interest.

Volleyball 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted

All 24 qualified teams for women's world championship confirmed.

Hosts :NED :POL  

Defending champions :SRB 

CEV :ITA :TUR 

CSV :BRA :COL 

Norceca :DOM :PUR 

CAVB :CMR :KEN 

AVC :CHN :JPN

FIVB World Ranking :USA :RUS :GER :BEL :KOR :BUL :CAN :THA :ARG :CZE :KAZ           

14 hours ago, justony said:

Ha ha, yeah right, finally it is time for second team gold for our country, after Eurobasket 2017. 

36 minutes ago, justony said:

So we win in some half of an hour.

No no no, there are some teams you just don't trash talk before the game is over and much less with one day of anticipation :finger:

Still, you have guts, I'll give you that. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

The asian men‘s bronze medal match will decide the last quota to WCH by ranking. The quota competition is between China and Ukraine. After watching the ACH I think the current world ranking system is quite controversial. The 5th team gained a lot of points through winning two consecutive 5-8 ranking matches while the 4th team will lose many points by losing 2 consecutive matches after reaching semifinals. To be clear I think Qatar received many undeserved points and qualified to WCH as 5th but 4th will not qualify for sure.

Also the system made Australia lost many points by attending VNL while China escaped from losing points by withdrawal. I have to admit we also sometimes benefit from this controversial system.

Qatar could beat Taiwan if they were to play. Same Australia. Well, they weren't given the opportunity to play against them and prove it (or disprove it).

Korea attended this competition with a B team so that was a bit lucky for them.

Of course, this is completely circumstantial and does not invalidate your criticism against the ranking system. Just wanted to point out that maybe, by chance, we'll have the stronger teams qualifying at the end.

Posted
6 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Argentina was leading comfortably in third and fourth sets, so in that way it was a little surprising how they just gave the match to Colombia. Chile is by far the worst team, so Argentina will qualify directly tomorrow.

Yes, it was embarassing to watch our players spike ball after ball to nowhere but it is what it is. Our Opposite and Outside Hitters are simply terrible players. It's a pity because the setter and blockers are good but they can't do so much to win without attack and good passing from the others. 

Even our coach admits in every interview that the team can't hope to beat anyone at big competitions and criticizes the players for having poor fundamentals from youth categories :lol: Poor man never coached women's vball before this job, he just took it because they don't want to pay decent money to anyone prestigious to coach a hopeless team.

Posted
9 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Surprisingly enough, :COL won vs :ARG at the women's South American championship. Something tells me if we had a challenge system in this tournament, it could have changed the outcome of this match...

Anyway, Argentina should easily defeat Chile tomorrow (most likely 3-0) which will give them the runner-up spot for the World Championship. In this scenario, Colombia would have to win the match vs Brazil to qualify - if they hadn't lost the match against Peru, their life would be much easier now.

It's not really surprising, we're missing 3 starters in the roster. And the team sucks anyway so they can lose to Colombia in any bad day even with the best players available. The real surprise was Colombia losing to awful Peru.

Colombia will qualify through ranking, tomorrow's result doesn't matter to them except for getting a better medal. 

Argentina will also qualify through ranking (if it comes to that) as long as they don't lose to Chile, which would be ridiculous.

Posted
12 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

Few questions related to the women’s Asian Championship 2021. 

it seems the tournament was postponed to May 2022. 

but what does it mean for the WCH qualification as two teams qualify directly and the tournament should count towards the ranking as top 11 not qualified yet qualify via ranking. 

Will they now wait until May 2022 to complete the field. Cannot imagine that. 

beside that will now teams which declined participation now take part in 2022 (China, Japan and Korea) ? 

No wait until 2022. China and Japan have already been selected as the 2 asian quota through continental ranking. 

The others (Korea, Thailand, etc) will have to wait for world ranking qualification at the end of this week. 

Oh BTW african championship has been cancelled so african quotas will suffer the same fate.

Posted
17 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I was just watching Morocco-Egypt in African Champs, Egypt needed a win to stay alive, Morocco needed 2 sets to win the group but even before the match I knew they didn't want that. but I didn't know much they care about the fairplay  :d the match was normal until 16-12 in the 4th set, Egypt was leading 2-1 but Morocco was bringing the match to the tiebreak, all of a sudden after the technical timeout they decided to play like crap :d from 16-12 to 19-25. that was a 13-3 run for Egypt :lol:

I believe even in a normal situation Egypt was still the favorite in the tiebreak but with "this" Morocco just eliminated Kenya. Morocco picked up the "easier path" to the final and world Championship quota. they wanted to avoid Tunisia which is probably the strongest team here

here is the knockout round map

:RWA vs :MAR

:CMR vs :NGR

:EGY vs :UGA

:TUN vs :COD

Why the hell do the 2 pools lead by the top 2 ranked teams have the same semifinal bracket for the winners? Is CAVB stupid? 

6 hours ago, prso1000 said:

First uspet, but i guess Russia is not complete here, but i dont know it 

They only left out Mikhailov from olympic team.

I think they just lack motivation or fitness for this competition + Turkey is not so bad, they have been crushing everyone in the golden european league last few years. I don't think they are much less than teams like Netherlands or Bulgaria nowadays.

30 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

How in the world Sweden beat Bulgaria? This is some major shit right there. I've never watched a single volleyball game featuring Sweden (or even a single Swedish player) in my life :lol:

Sweden is like Poland in football, they are a squad of very average talent carried by a top 5 attacking player in the world (Isabelle Haak, 26 pt today).