website statistics
Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
17 hours ago, Monzanator said:

China is triggered enough to run the financial pressure over lack of WTA tournaments even without Taiwan. WTA raised the purse for 1st round GS losers and so on, there is the big push for pay equality too. I wonder how is that possible with the loss of Chinese money? The long-term plans could blow right up now. The only reasonable replacement is Middle East. It would be hilarious if WTA had to stage events in Saudi Arabia to make up for the Chinese losses :lol:

Professional Sport is fucked full stop. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

WTA won't touch Taiwan with a wooden stick after this move. And yeah, the Chinese player market could completely collapse from now on. I suppose WTA thinks it was worth the squeeze for a semi-retired player like Peng Shuai?

Taiwan is completely separate to China. It would really piss Bejing off if they did so.

Posted

Tennis could financially suffer badly this coming decade. The next Gen are pretty unpopular and will not bring in no where near as much revenue as the greats have done so. And now this meant the WTA will be in a financial hole as well. If a breakaway tour happens as Djokovic wants to run once retired then even the Grand Slams could be at risk.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

PR stunt move in the off-season. Due to COVID restrictions there are no tournaments scheduled in China for 2022 anyway. Also worth noticing that Hong Kong is truly lost for the Western world.

Get ready for indoor tournaments in Ostrava then! I wonder how long until people start bitching about Eastern Europe profiting from this?

Btw, how much this decision will affect the other Chinese players? The ITF Asian swing was wrecked by COVID already so several of these Chinese players had to come to Europe to play. That could be severly affected going forward. ATP won't give a damn since there are 0 relevant Chinese male players overall.

I imagine we won’t see a Chinese professional tennis player again for a long time. 

I am sure Taiwan would be a suitable host for a major tournament. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Peng Shuai isn't a global name. She's not been a top player since injury in 2015. What's more, she's been suspended for offering money for a player to withdraw from 2017 Wimbledon. She's hardly won a singles match in the last three years and was basically semi-retired. Her last good season was 2017.

She is still getting global press coverage that someone only famous in China would never get 

Posted
2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Well, at least the idea that "she disappeared" is nonsense. China is what it is but it ain't North Korea :lol:

Even North Korea wouldn’t have someone with global name disappear. They would pull the same stunt. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

He won't boycott his most successful Grand Slam :evil:

Btw, we have a new WTA record in broken serves in a single match. World junior #1 Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva beat Maria Lourdes Carle 7-6 5-7 7-5 in a match that lasted 3h 47 minutes and featured 26(!) broken service games in the Montevideo Open 125k. VJK is only 16 years old so you'll probably hear about her in the future anyway.

The ATP seem to fear he will use it as an excuse to push for a breakaway tour. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

If Djokovic plays then everyone plays. Hell, even Sabalenka got vaccinated after missing Indian Wells with COVID. This controversy is basically over.

The thing is Djokovic has been hinting he might boycott it despite likely being personally vaccinated. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's a bluff. WTA can't afford to drop the Chinese money long-term. Players will never agree to paycuts if Chinese money is gone.

The WTA can’t really row back now without it possibly leading to them getting sanctioned in the USA. Don’t rule out sporting bodies being sanctioned for dealing with China in the years to come.

Tennis ITF US Open 2021
Posted
3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

She probably won't play again in 2021 allthough there is the big Indian Wells tournament to be played in October. Idk if her sponsors would be fine with her sitting out 2022 unless she wants to play the martyr card or whatever. Due to lack of match practice she's tailed off on hard courts this summer and clay & grass were never her strong suits to begin with. This is a complete shitshow from a sporting pespective and the question is whether Osaka wants to be a tennis player or just a full-time celebrity sitting on all those big endorsements?

I think for her the sponsor duties are exciting as she never has had much of a life outside of tennis and doesn’t have many friends. 

6 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Yes, I wouldn't want them winning medals either especially Tomljanovic because her 'connections' are so fake.

They can win WTA tour events and I don't care, but not the Olympics.

Although I think Konta did live in the UK for several years growing up so I'll give her a pass.

Konta’s parents moved to the UK when she was 14 but she was mostly in Barcelona. However despite this she has lost all traces of her Australian Accent and now sounds fully English and is accepted. In the UK accents are very important in terms of being accepted - if you sound British when you talk you are immediately accepted. 

On 19/07/2021 at 00:02, szy123 said:

Lmao, but the fight for Gold medal may still be tight, especially in women's tournament. And I'd rate Osaka's and Świątek's chances higher than Barty's here. Mainly due to their attitude towards Olympics. 

Not so sure about Swiatek - she’s has not mpressed outside of clay tournaments.

41 minutes ago, MHSN said:

a late "injury" I assume. really disappointed I thought he is better than this.

is this really hard for these Tennis players to admit they don't give a shit about the Olympics? (no money and no ranking points)

do they really have to make excuses ?

He has said it’s a thigh injury which has ruled him out for a couple of weeks.