website statistics

Because Germany won a quota place in the Mixed Doubles at the European Games (and their entrants need to come from their successful Teams, also qualified, then this adds one extra space into the Singles Qualification for each of Men and Women. 

"Any qualified athletes in Mixed Doubles must be part of the team composition if their NOC has qualified a team of that gender"

Does this extra place get filled at the Singles Qualification Tournament, or via the World Ranking?  I think it is the Qualification Tournament, up to a maximum of 8 (when you allow for other situations like Germany's, from a minimum of 2 places at the Tournament), and then after that the World Ranking, but my head hurts now.  I agree that Table Tennis has made this the most complicated process possible.  

Dates and locations for the World Singles and Team Qualification Tournaments confirmed by ITTU.

"The World Team Qualification Event will be held in Gondomar, Portugal between 22 – 26 January 2020.

The World Singles Qualification Event will take place in Doha, Qatar between 26 – 29 May 2020."

https://www.ittf.com/2019/05/23/portugal-qatar-host-rise2tokyo-world-olympic-qualification-events/

It looks like the ETTU have clarified the position re Singles Qualification for European Continent places for the Singles: only the three medallists (per gender) will go to Tokyo.  Therefore, if two of them are from the winning Team, then the other two places are reallocated to a separate European Qualifying Tournament in April 2020 (being held in Moscow).  They also seem to imply that this is where the remainder of the Singles Qualification places will come from, so between 3-5 places up for grabs.  

https://www.ettu.org/en/n/news/2019/may/qualification-system-----games-of-the-xxxii-olympiad-----tokyo-2020/

On 31/05/2018 at 00:02, Jose Luis said:

The qualification process table tennis D:

Singles qualification:

32 With two (2) athletes nominated from each NOC with one qualified team.

22 Continental Singles qualification with a maximum of two (2) athletes from the same NOC

1 Tripartite Commission Invitation place

2-8 Not less than 2 and not more than 8 from the Final World Singles Qualifying Tournament

1-13 Minimum 1 from ITTF World Ranking

64-70 With a maximum of two (2) athletes from the same NOC to participate in singles events

¿Between 2 and 8 places Final World Singles Qualifying Tournament?

¿Between 1 and 13 places World Ranking?

Do not explain that depends on the variation in the number of places

I have been trying to work this out as well.  The Team places (45 places per gender, excluding Japan), 22 Continental Singles places, 1 Tripartite and 3 Host Nation places equals 71 places.  Assuming all 15 qualifiers for the Mixed Doubles for any one gender (excl Japan) are already in the Team Competition, then this leaves 15 places for the WSQT and World Ranking.  A minimum of 2 come from the WSQT, so hence up to 13 from the World Ranking.  However, I cannot work out what are the circumstances when more than 2 would qualify from the WSQT?