website statistics
hace 19 minutos, OlympicIRL dijo:

Always hated this completely unjust system you see all the time in rugby. The toughest groups always get screwed over while the easy groups always have more teams advancing. Never made any sense.

I think the system is only in place for the olympic tournament, the world series qualifiers and the u20 World championship of the XVs. It's not that many.

The olympics should really be 2 groups of 6 like most other team sports. Maybe scrap the quarterfinals and go directly to semis if it's too much games for rugby.

Edited by LDOG

Yeah nothing unusual to cheer for here and the winner will be a punching bag in Tokyo, so... really boring :d on top of that Brazil/Argentina participate in every other team sport so either group of girls won't get more than one minute of screen time in their own countries.

What a disappointment that our team couldn't even beat Colombia, that was the only realistic objective of the tournament. 4 years of hard work and no improvement to show with results.

They will certainly beat Peru by 30 and then lose to Brazil by 20-something, it's always the same.

hace 1 hora, Olympian1010 dijo:

XVs popularity will decline I think, at least worldwide, especially as most young athletes will begin to focus on Sevens.

Hmm not really? The viewing numbers of rugby world cup keep increasing and the money for players is in the union professional leagues, not in the sevens. Several of the sevens players have to also play XV to earn a living. I don't think a sevens player can earn money from anywhere but from what their national federation pays them.  

As long as the money is in the XVs, it will always remain dominant. Hell, even rugby league is much more of a "threat" for XVs,  in that sense.  

It's like expecting 3x3 to overthrow 5x5 basketball in popularity, it's just not going to happen. One format has an enormous professional structure behind, the other is far from it.

Edited by LDOG

hace 7 minutos, heywoodu dijo:

Good thing I'm not a reguler XV watcher I guess, generally I find that one to be rather dull and slow-moving and I enjoy 7's a lot more :p 

Although I guess both have their charms.

You are rugby noob then :p

My problem with the sevens is that things like line outs, scrums and kicking in general (except for the kick off) are rendered almost meaningless while they play a huge part of strategy in XVs.

Of course, if you only want to watch tries being scored you will like sevens more. Maybe that's why americans like it...

South Africa wins in Vancouver and retakes the 4th place in general standings from England.

Olympic qualification is looking nasty for european teams as things stand. Only 4 stages to go for England to turn things around. If they don't, we are only going to see (at best) 2 out of GB, France and Spain in Tokyo.

Las Vegas sevens is on and Chile tied South Africa :yikes:

Chile has been improving a lot in sevens lately, in january they defeated a mixed A/B team of us in a tournament of lower importance. I'm starting to feel insecurities about olympic qualification, sevens can be random at times.

Quota Qualification Event Notes
:AUS Australia Women's Rugby Sevens WR World Series 2018 - 2019  
:BRA Brazil Women's Rugby Sevens SR South American Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019  
:CAN Canada Women's Rugby Sevens WR World Series 2018 - 2019  
:CHN China Women's Rugby Sevens AR Asian Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019  
:FIJ Fiji Women's Rugby Sevens OR Oceanian Championship 2019  
:FRA France Women's Rugby Sevens WR Final Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021  
:GBR Great Britain Women's Rugby Sevens RE European Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019  
:JPN Japan Host Nation  
:KEN Kenya Women's Rugby Sevens RA African Championship 2019  
:NZL New Zealand Women's Rugby Sevens WR World Series 2018 - 2019  

:RUS Russia

Women's Rugby Sevens WR Final Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021  
:USA United States Women's Rugby Sevens WR World Series 2018 - 2019