website statistics
Judo IJF World Tour 2023
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Josh said:

Was not expecting Keldiyorova :UZB to defeat Krasniqi :KOS :yikes:

Anyways, a nice bronze for Jessica Klimkait :CAN  Should be a great battle between her and Deguchi for the -57kg quota at Paris 2024. 

If Klimkait has a better result at the World Championship in Doha, it's almost over for Duguchi for Paris 2024,
Is a stupid move from Deguchi stays in 57kg ...
Edited by seb851

Judo IJF World Championships 2022
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, phelps said:

I'd say biased if not truly "political" calls (and not only of "shido")...

in particular, Mrs. Babiuc isn't absolutely making a single call fair to the athletes from certain Nations (what she did to Giuffrida against Krasniqi yesterday was just not acceptable at any level...she shouldn't be an international ref anymore*).

*ps let's make it clear...Krasniqi is stronger and most likely she would win in any case, but at least we deserved to watch a good match between 2 Olympic medallists...and that lady made it impossible.

Days 3, 1/4 constest (27/99) end with a HSK, vs 12 for day one and 14 for day two, is so pathetics 

Edited by seb851

20 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The qualification window for Judo opened at the end of June and so far there have been 8 qualifying events staged - 2 Grand Slams, 1 Grand Prix and 5 Continental Opens. Annoyingly, the IJF haven't got their act together for the last couple of months and they haven't been publishing the Olympic Ranking list on their website. 

Because the actual ranking is too useless because have only 2 GS, 1 Grand Prix and 2 World Championship 

Also the fun fact, zero Senior World Championship have full point for Paris 2024, unless if 2024 have World Championship (ijf already confirmed the intentions held a World Championship in olympics years)

Judo 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted

The international competitions of the IJF have started again in a few weeks.

As expected, the results of the Canadian judoka are very weak !

In the world junior championships only Godbout, Ryder and Arencibia won a fight but lost their second fight 

Paris Grand Slam, only Kelly Deguchi placed 7th in the 52kg but Francois Gauthier Drapeau have very good fight vs Matthias Casse (2th in WRL), but a lot injury in this event, Gabun from Canada and kaja kajzer from Slovenia have same injury ... 

Baku Grand Slam will be the return to the competition of Sandy El Nahas, not other Judoka from Tokyo 2020 or A Team ...

I don't know about the GS in Abu Dhabi if Judo Canada will send a team, probably not. 

But I know that CBP will make its return to the Paris Grand Slam probably the same for Jessica Klimkait and rest of A Team.

C. Deguchi, I still have no news... in my opinion, it could be the same reflection as CBP, all will decide this year if she still has the motivation to continue until 2024.

Posted
3 hours ago, canadamion said:

I have some report like this, Christa Deguchi also drop to 52kg. follow her sister. Also have some report then Klimkait up to 63kg next years...

Stop say Klimkait go up in 63kg, is not true ... 

Posted
On 9/14/2021 at 4:55 AM, phelps said:

I'm sure there are a few in the heavyweights, but I don't have any name at the moment...

I remember :ITA Ylenia Scapin in the late Nineties, early 2000's switching quite a few times from the -78kg (her "natural weight class") to the -70kg...

she won more than 1 European and World medals in the lower division and twice the Olympic bronze medal in the heavier class (1996 and 2000)...

Do you believe in the possibility that Deguchi will drop the category?

Posted
On 9/6/2021 at 10:50 AM, seb851 said:

Any update about the IJF World Judo Masters 2021 and 2022 that were awarded to the Chinese Judo Federation?

Because Doha is the 2020 Master held January 2021

Alot cancellation several international competitions in china, it is not sure that the next Master will be held in China. 

Update on this topics

The IJF has published the first calendar draft for 2022

image.png

Master 2022 Host  still to be confirmed but the 2022 Masters was awarded to china in 2019.

Posted
On 9/12/2021 at 4:37 AM, phelps said:

I think she could become a dominating force also in that class...

of course she has to put some muscles on, because in that class you need also a lot of pure strenght, it's not only about pure technique anymore (as it might be in the -48kg, where almost every player doesn't have enough room to work on anything but making that really light weight)...

I guess it won't be a ready-steady-go switch for her, but surely in the medium and long terms it's the right move to save her from injuries and burnouts...

personally, I'm against every excess in cutting weight...I see only disadvantages rather than benefit, especially if you want to have a long career...

ok, on other case, have a exemple a player drop weight category ? 

Judo IJF World Championships 2021
Posted
On 6/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, NearPup said:

Ya, I definitively understand how bitter this must feel. She sacrificed quite a bit to represent Canada specifically to compete in Tokyo. I don’t think Klimkait would have had much of a chance under the original selection plan.

However, ultimately, how do you not send the defending world champion when worlds were less than two months before the Olympics?

It just really sucks that Canada has two world champions *ever* in Judo and they fight in the same weight class and are one year apart.

Sorry for the bump ...

But this kind of comment makes me piss off ... Dechuchi didn't sacrifice anything, she even got alot exemptions from Judo Canada. She has nothing Canadian in her, except her father. FIY it is her fault that the selection policy has changed, because she trains and is based in Japan. Judo Canada asked Deguchi to come to Canada right after the Antalya GS, so that they could both do the quarantine and preparation time. 

And ... she refused, and Judo Canada proposed to both of them to use the World Championships as a qualifying event, both accept ...

And the fact, the Deguchi's level is not top this year, his defeat against Eteri Liparteliani at GS Tbilisi year had put me in doubt about his level and not sure Deguchi would have won the 2 of 3, the last fight between the two is a DQ for Klimkait...

Posted
41 minutes ago, phelps said:

imho, it's not enough even the -52kg...she has to go up until at least the -57kg, where she would still be taller than most of her opponents, but she would also have some room to build some muscles and above all, avoid the excessive weight cutting before the competition as she has to do right now...

in all the evnts she entered this year, she was clearly completely spent because of that...it's a miracle that she came home with a bronze medal from the Tokyo Olympics...

and that's a shame, because she's so talented and beautiful to watch when she's in top shape...

Do you think his style fit in the 57kg division? because the -57 division is the most competitive female side. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, canadamion said:

Start from 1h00,  I don't know if I understood correctly, Klimkait and Deguchi are in the 63kg class for Paris 2024 ???

‎Judo Chop Suey Podcast: Interview with Josh Hagen on Apple Podcasts

No, they say that we will have 3 good girls in two divisions for the 2022 world championship, And Klimkait will have the momentum for the next year on Deguchi on H2H fight.

Posted

Any update about the IJF World Judo Masters 2021 and 2022 that were awarded to the Chinese Judo Federation?

Because Doha is the 2020 Master held January 2021

Alot cancellation several international competitions in china, it is not sure that the next Master will be held in China. 

Posted

I would like to give my opinion on this message from the world championship:

On 6/9/2021 at 4:58 AM, phelps said:

it might not be so easy...

I mean, certain athletes have the body structure that helps them to change weight class without too many problems, but others are just built into a single class...

looking at her, Deguchi surely can't even think to go up to 63kg...and I don't think she could either go down at 52kg...

on the other hand, also Klimkait is a bit too short to risk the 63kg swap (where she might be a lot less effective), if she doesn't have any issue with the current weight...

not to mention the mental struggle and consequences a weight class change can have on some people, especially among the women...

it's a very delicate question, especially in Countries where the individuals always have the last word...

Jessica have the perfect height for 63kg, the Canadian federation had even suggested Klimkait to go to 63kg in 2017-2018 but she doesn't want to go 63kg.

Christa Deguchi is the same height as Catherine Beauchemin-Pinard. CBP moved up a category in late 2017, she was in 57kg before

Christa Deguchi is older, and has said she feels "old" ... so moving up to 63kg can "extend" her career until Paris 2024 

Posted
16 hours ago, canadamion said:

I can confirm that Gill is lying publicly, saying that his team did not force Jessica to move up to the 63kg category, this is bullshit...

essica lost the support of Judo Canada in 2017-18, with the loss of her SR1/2 status for Sport Canada cards... 

IMO ... the impact of Klimkait's bronze medal have more impact for next girls canadian's judoka  vs any Deguchi's medal ( incluse any olympics gold medal...).  Klimkait is 100% Canadian unlike Deguchi's nothing canadian.

I agree with you. I don't like the Deguchi fans, who think that Judo Canada had a preference for Klimkait, but is not case, the selection policy based on best result frim 2021 World Championships is only fair solution ...

If look at the results from 2019/2020/2021

Klimkait was on the podium in 13 of 15 competitions (3 podium in master)

Duguichi was on the podium in 8 of 11 competitions (0 podium in master)

Both had similar result ..

Posted
4 hours ago, Illya said:

Interesting thing : in which weight will compete our star Daria Bilodid? There are no information , but I think , it would be 52, because she already have ranking points in this category

In my opinion, she too tall to stay in the 48kg, is parfect fit for 57kg not for 48kg/52kg

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

Does this mean cbp is done?

Like I said last week, it's gonna take a year at a time In my opinion, Deguchi will retire ... Here is an interview from 2020 (It's in French sorry), she says a hint that she is closer to retirement than doing another Olympiad.

Posted
On 8/22/2021 at 5:46 PM, seb851 said:

According to a well-informed source on Judo Canada Federation, Crista Deguchi have decision not continue for Paris 2024

Sorry, this information is not 100% true .. 

In my opinion, Judo Canada a other 2 years of stress for Klimkait and Deguchi stressfull ambiance... And my guess is that Deguchi will go in 63kg and Klimkait will stay in the 57kg.

Judo Canada announced that their target is 3 medals for the 2024 Olympic Games 

Also, Agbegnenou year-long break 

Posted
On 8/21/2021 at 5:48 PM, intoronto said:

I don't think it had anything to do with money. She found her calling in life and decided to pursue it.... ofc it might seem weird to us but to her it was the right decision. 

I don't have more information, but we will have an idea in comings next week. If she will participate in IJF competitions and in Canada Elite 8 in January.