website statistics
Men's Handball IHF World Championship 2023
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

1st and 6th WCH teams (I mean among non-qualified teams) will get Asia 2nd and America 2nd which is a very easy group for those 2 European teams, at least comparing to other 2 groups with 1 more European team

That was the same draw of the previous cycle with Korea and Chile.  

Do they just re-use the same always? When was this confirmed?

Edited by LDOG

Why are you all talking like the OQT draw is done? I know there always was a serpentine system distribution for the teams that take a place there through WCh but what about the rest? If it's done where I can see it? There is nothing on Wikipedia.

15 hours ago, hoversaBR said:

What happened to Argentina? I know that american teams are still far from the level of european teams, but 20 goals difference? 

- Many older players retired and the younger ones are very mediocre.   

- The coach is just some former assistant they hired because it was cheap.   

- they barely play games outside big tournaments (this is a perennial problem though).   

Nobody cares about this sport anymore. There was one good generation (the Youth 2007/Juniors 2009) and they did the best they could but nothing really changed. 

It should have been 2 teams and not 3 advancing from the first stage. 

If you wanted to have same amount of games then maybe make the teams coming from the same group play again instead of carrying the result.

Another alternative with this same format I propose could have been making the round 2 groups composed of 4 teams all from different round 1 groups (eg. One group with: E1+F2+G1+H2).

This way both the main round and the president cup become more exciting.

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

I secretly hoped that the girls would play against a not-so-traditional opponent from another continent or so and might have a chance to enjoy at least one win, but after that draw, it's impossible.

Slovakia will play exotic teams... in the classification rounds :p

58 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I don't watch a lot of handball, if I do it's the Montenegro women's team since 2012 and if anyone asked me who'll win this group id say Montenegro without a doubt. 

It's time for Romania to seal the spot today or perhaps not nonetheless Norway is not the favourite to win today imo. Norway cannot win today but Romania can lose it still.. 

Yes, it's very evident that you don't watch handball :lol:

34 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Well, you could be right, bad comparison. But point remains the same. System is sometimes harsh, best teams arent always qualified. 

Kim Rhode in shooting is best skeet shooter in history but wont be in Tokyo. Same goes for Kaori Icho. 

Brazil was 9th in the world championship, so they got to play OQT1. If you wanted more european teams they should have performed better. 

1 hour ago, ChandlerMne said:

Iceland is better than Brazil in mens competition. Croatia is better than Portugal. Both teams are out. Same goes here. Better team doesnt always qualify. 

On what basis is Iceland better than Brasil??? They lost to them in 2019 WCH, finished lower in last 2 WChs...

5 minutes ago, Cobi said:

I would not be so sure about the 7 European teams + Egypt in the QF. Argentina has a very decent team and I wouldn't be so surprised if they managed to win at least one game against Europeans,

Yes, and Brazil also has a very good squad , with some elite club players. It's just they have been poorly managed last 2 years.  

As I said BRA & ARG will probably be in the same group and that group will be tough.