website statistics
31 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Whilst disappointing, I don't think Gadirova's injury will fundamentally shift the needle for British Gymnastics going into Paris. They will still be set a target of 3-5 medals across the artistic, rhythmic and trampoline disciplines. Within artistic, even without Gadirova, they will have realistic medal chances with the men's team, Whitlock on pommel, Jarman on vault, Tulloch on rings and even an outside chance at an all-around medal from Joe Fraser. Obviously a lot depends on how the winter goes, but GB Gymnastics will be thinking they are in a good place going into Paris.

In terms of funding, I'm not sure what you've based the assertion that lottery funding is rapidly falling. Financial support from UK Sport for the Paris Olympic cycle amounts to 241mln which is a significant increase on the 221mln awarded going into Tokyo. In addition to the funding of the national federations, there is around an additional 60mln of funding which is given directly to athletes. 

Looking at gymnastics specifically, they have received 13.3mln going into Paris - up from 13.2mln ahead of Tokyo. Assuming that the GB team does fall short of their target, whilst they would expect a funding cut, it is unlikely to be major and I'd still expect it to be in the region of 12.5-13mln. One of the biggest factors counting against major funding cuts is the need to address and implement the findings of the Whyte review. 

The actual pot of money within the lottery is dropping as it is suffering reduced player numbers, 

I have a feeling :GBR are in the end not going to send anyone. Whitlock is clearly not going and Fraser and Regini Moran have just had surgery. On the women side I think all four that went to Tokyo are going to take a break before a busy 2022 with two major home championships. 

:IRL will be there as Rhys McClenaghan has confirmed he is going. 

4 minutes ago, George_D said:

this rule is ridiculous. It can deprive a medal from an athlete that deserves it

It improves the global spread of the finals. Otherwise things could descend back into the days of only three counties in a final which is not great for the sport. 

A very low scoring final - the winning score is wwell under 90 for the first time since the scoring changed. Back in 2016 the commentators in the UK were always going about how big it was for Max Whitlock to break 90 and how if Joe Frazier could get 88 he would be able to dream of a medal but in fact that would have secured one. 

2 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

I know it's sounds like bullshit, but my wife just told me that chinese media has reported that some "unnamed" foreign media has reported that Simone Biles has withdrawn due to the pregnancy. ????

If she had pulled out before appearing at the games then that could make sense - but pulling out mid team final because of that feels very unlikely. 

22 minutes ago, tirtha22 said:

Can mental issue happen all of a sudden? May be I suspect some hidden injuries which suddenly aggravated.

She was not at her best on Sunday and has mentioning finding the pressure hard - and the team final can eb the worse for pressure because it’s not just you. Say if she went on Beam or Bars and fell more than once. America could have crashed out of the medals 

2 minutes ago, IoNuTzZ said:

Well :GBR won the bronze medal. First medal in women’s team after 93 years

Incredible. Even the commentators here are shocked as unlike yesterday they were not hyping up the girls as possible challengers till right near the end - and one of them is Alice Kinsella’s coach. At one point they said Italy only needed a 12.5 to overtake GB when that wasn’t the case. 

Decision to not pick Becky Downie might backfire here for GB- had she been in the GB team a bronze might have just been achievable. Instead it could be fourth behind a team who WADA wanted banned - that would be a cruel way for funding to be cut - No ROC and funding might have been maintained is a realistic possibility GB gymnastics. 

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Strong rumors that Biles did not sustain injury, but rather just chose to withdraw.

If confirmed, it would be just incredibly controversial given that it happened during the team final...

Through she did do one performance and was clearly not at her best in it. 

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

And I thought that Osaka's defeat will be the biggest drama of the day and the Games...

And everyone will be waiting to see if she will appear at the all around or some or all of the finals. 

Is she allowed to pull out of say two of the finals and only do two. Or does she have to do all four or withdraw from all of them?

NBC saying Biles will take no further part. 

If Biles doesn’t recover for the all around and the individuals it’s not impossible to think America won’t win a gold in Gymnastics as the rest of team are unpredictable and could easily fail to win any of the rest of the five events.