website statistics
Road Cycling UCI World Championships 2020
Posted
10 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

After about an hour’s solo effort, Bujak gets to the lead group just as it’s swallowed up.

Now, were those llamas or alpacas?

I’d be inclined to say alpacas. They better make the daily highlights.

Race is down to a select group at the front. There goes Van Der Breggen!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
2 hours ago, dcro said:

Since there are still no qualification requirements for the women's race, expect to see some athletes struggling to keep up even with the most casual pace.

It's quite painful to watch, really.

Every men’s/women’s road race at the Commonwealth Games ever. 

It doesn’t really bother me, though I wish the Icelandic ladies would give me a little more to cheer for.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

I understand that broadcasters confuse riders nationality from time to time, but come on, the flag is on screen.

0DBE801D-A8FB-4EDF-AE5B-E1298A6829D8.jpeg

Now, in fairness to NBC, I do believe Kung represented Liechtenstein earlier in his career.

Edit: Yep, sure enough, he represented Liechtenstein at the 2011 Games of the Small States of Europe. He didn’t win either of the gold medals at those Games however. Bob Jungels beat him in both the road race (single rider breakaway, won by 2 minutes), and the time trial (by a gap of 1:12). 

Men's Road Cycling UCI World Tour 2020
Posted
4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This is gonna be mayhem. I truly wonder what whoever designed this smoked :d 

Ah cool! I’ve always wanted a downhill time trial. I might have to actually watch the Giro now.

@hckosice I’ve appreciated your stage preview and stage results posts everyday. It’s makes it much easier to stay interested in, and keep up with the Tour. 

Hopefully our man Sagan finally pulls through for a stage win.

So assuming nothing ridiculous happens, both of the last two Tour De France winners were also Tour of California winners. Bernal won the Tour of California in 2018, and Pogacar won the final edition of the Tour of California in 2019. 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Carapaz wasn't in the top-5 I'm hearing now.

I’m hearing Pogacar was fastest. It’s very likely he’s won three jerseys. What a legend!

Just now, hckosice said:

nah this one is better

Yes! I was waiting for you to post this. Time to fricken blast this around the house.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Too bad the climbing times had no graphics, that sucks. Carapaz was alright, but Pogacar seemed alien. Question is how many were in front of Carapaz.

If Carapaz was second, they will be tied heading towards the category 4 climb tomorrow. If Carapaz was third, I believe that battle is over also.

Two key battles today: Maillot Jaune and KOM.

In terms of the KOM, the points go to the fastest man from the bottom of the climb (second time check) to the top of the climb. Pogacar will have to race a true time trial since he’ll be hunting a the Maillot Jaune as well. Carapaz would be smart to ride the flat part at a moderate pace before blasting up the final climb. Roglic is also still mathematically able to win the Polka-Dots as well.

It’s nice to have this much excitement at Stage 20. 

Lopez winning today’s stage was a nice surprise.

Lopez and Pogacar have a chance at winning the yellow jersey, but Roglic is still looking good. 

Sep Kuss really makes me excited for the years ahead. 

This tour is still one of the best I’ve followed. Good battles for the yellow, green, and polka-dot jerseys. I’ve really enjoyed the stages this year too.

5 hours ago, justony said:

Sorry France, even polka dot jersey is ours. :whistle::raspberry:

All four jerseys could yours if Sagan would just pick the slack :p

8 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Pogačar sneaks out of the second group & snaffles the KoM points, putting himself into the virtual lead.

I guess he did fancy the Polka-Dots after all...

When in Rome perhaps?

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Polka dot jersey, correct me if I'm wrong here, is just a side show designed to make France win something. :dunno:

Yes/no. It’s just a competition for riders less likely to factor into the Yellow/Green jersey battle. I think it’s a fun little sub-competition. I always enjoy the competition between the 2-3 lesser known breakaway riders for jersey. 

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Considering he has been one of the main guys to fight for the overall win since long before the Tour even started, I highly doubt a secondary prize is anything more than just a sideshow for him :p 

Right, it’s just funny that he has a very good chance of winning that jersey without trying to. I’ll give Cosnefroy credit for managing to stay in that jersey so long, while struggling to show any real climbing prowess, but Pogacar would be a more deserving winner (or Hirschi).

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

German commentators said that he has a role as a mentor, also he had a crash earlier this year, so he clearly isn’t at his best.

Maybe he was modeling what not to do for the younger riders :p