website statistics

I’d be curious to see the stats on how much water was consumed during today’s race.

Let’s just hope no one’s practicing purposeful dehydration like they did during the 1904 Olympic Marathon :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’m really confused as to what the likes of :GUA:PAN:PER:NAM are doing at the front. It seems smarter to let the big teams chase, and try to save your legs for the back half of this race.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I wasn’t aware there was a set order for team cars at the Olympic Games. It makes sense; it’s just one of those things you don't really think about. Anyway, here’s the team car order for the road races.

Women’s Road Race: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/CRD/OG2020-_CRD_C68_CRD-------------------------------2.pdf

Men’s Road Race: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/CRD/OG2020-_CRD_C68_CRD-------------------------------1.pdf

I always forget how early in the season Paris-Nice is. It feels a little too early for stage racing to me, but quite the race so far. 

I think they’re averaging about 4/5 crashes a stage at the moment, so hopefully they rein that in a little bit. George Bennett’s New Zealand Champ jersey looks nice. Nice win for Bol.

Road Cycling 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted

Back to ye old flat stages I see :( At least we get to visit Andorra in a major event for once.

This year’s route was so good. It created fantastic racing. This map doesn’t leave me with a lot of hope for next year’s route.

Men's Road Cycling UCI World Tour 2020
Posted
10 minutes ago, dcro said:

But why is WvA ahead?

I’m assuming this was taken during their breakaway, and WvA was pulling on the front then.

Men's Road Cycling UCI World Tour 2020
Posted
3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Hirschi, one of the riders of the year, takes the win :bowdown:

Perfect opportunity for him this year.

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Wow, Flèche was being led by yet another Belgian Boy Band member, Mauri Vansevenant, when he crashed with 3k to go.

Hirschi gets it!

Hirschi was great and all, but can we just acknowledge the performance from Cosnefroy for a minute! What the hell was he doing in the mix for the win?

I will say that Hirschi is quickly becoming one of my favorite riders to watch. 

Road Cycling UCI World Championships 2020
Posted
1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

You saw that with the breakaway today.  In theory it was a strong group, but none of them wanted to do anything on their own initiative because they were all just placeholders for someone else.

Which happens in men’s cycling as well. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The problem is, you need to have at least some interesting things to offer before getting advertising, television, funding and so on. Women's cycling sometimes does, which is why it's on TV (or live streams) relatively often nowadays, but of course main channels are not going to pour more and more money into something that offers their viewers two hours of basically nothing of any interest.

Right, but how do you get to that level without the same opportunities as men?

Women’s cycling does have a semi-privileged standing amongst women’s sports as it actually gets some air time like you said. That’s a good start, but there’s a lot more that needs to be done if people want better racing. I think it’s trending in the right direction, but it still needs help.

Posted
2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Who exactly said that? I think women’s (beach) volleyball, women’s athletics, women’s gymnastics (except for floor) or women’s swimming are interesting to watch (sometimes also women’s tennis). 

This is the first time in years that I watched a women’s race and now I understand why women’s cycling doesn’t get more tv time. This was even worse than watching women’s football, the depth of talent is really poor.

Posted

It’s hard to grow a sport when it isn’t given TV time though. People really just expect women’s sport to get better on it’s own without advertising, television, funding, etc. 

I’m not saying this wasn’t a boring race, because it was, but let’s calm down with the “women’s sports sucks” comments.

Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I've seen boring races and I've seen boring races, but holy moly this was a boring race.

Yep, really glad I woke up two hours early for this one :facepalm: