website statistics
7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Philipsen is literally trying to block attackers with 80k to go, because he doesn't want another attacker. Like, going in front of the attacker, pulling the brakes, trying to push him out of the road, etc. The umpteenth dick move by Philipsen.

Probably he'll get away with 200 CHF fine or so, but he should easily get 100 points docked for the green jersey or so. Won't make a difference, but still it means a bit more than a tiny monetary fine.

Watching the footage that I could find…that seems like the only questionable offense to me. You definitely can’t be slamming the breaks in front of someone for tactical purposes.

He does force the other ride move around the road, but I suppose he leaves enough room for the most part. Odd tactics either way, and duly rewarded with how the stage player out I suppose :mumble:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Gall :AUT within striking distance of Ciccone :ITA for the polka-dots if he desires a big prize after today. Those two could have a fun race over the final mountain stage.

I expected Powless :USA to be in better shape. It was nice to see an American in one of the leader’s jerseys while it lasted. I just hope Kuss will be allowed to challenge for the GC one day :rolleyes:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, hckošice said:

Did that bike ahead of Vingegaard just ran out of fuel ? :lol:

NBC had their in-race reporter (Christian Vande Velde) right there by coincidence. The red car tried to pass motorbikes (or move out a gap by pulling to side) and caused a traffic jam accordingly to him.

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

Always a super cool idea to make a selfie with the flying peloton :yes

Spectators really seem worse this year than in year’s prior. ACO needs to do something to protect riders and fans alike.

Edited by Olympian1010

The only proper way to ride The Tour.

Edit: @De_Gambassi this is what happens when I post clips before reading the thread for the day. Apologies.

Edited by Olympian1010

Can’t say I’m a fan of the new trend of throwing confetti on the climbs. It just seems like something that might have consequences for the riders at some point, not to mention the environmental impact of that stuff :wacko:

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Three crashes in the last 1500m.

They were just trying to do a poor man’s imitation of this beauty.

Today’s stage had a fun energy, from Powless celebrating the KOM “victories,” to Lefay chatting with the motorbike, and Lukshenko showing the fans why his tire was flat. I love when riders can show a bit of personality. It gives me a better idea of I want to support :d

Sprint was a bit dicey though :zip:

It’s a shame to see some of the podium contenders continuing to find trouble in the peloton (O’Connor today), but these two stages have been great. The Grand Tours need more “rolling” terrain stages like this. It’s definitely more entertaining than those pan flat sprint stages that really could just be a 20km town to town sprint. 

6 hours ago, hckošice said:

Enric Mas officially first abandon

Of course Movistar’s leader crashes out in the year they finally decide to ride for one rider :facepalm:

Shame to see him and Carapaz gone already. 

37 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

:USA Dominating the stage rankings anyway.

We don’t seem to have a GC favorite at the moment, but we have a good handful of very talented riders at the moment. I haven’t felt this educated by US riders in a while. 

Tokyo was probably the first time I had optimism watching Olympic cycling from an American perspective.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

I hardly see the Giro news out there so guess this edition is overshadowed by weather and otherwise boring?

It's whomever wins the ITT wins the whole thing or is there a real mountain still possible? :mumble:

There’s been a lot of withdrawals for various reasons. Covid took one of the main favorites out.

In general, I feel like the Giro has been the “weakest” of the grand tours for last few years. It just doesn’t seem to get the riders and attention that the Tour and Vuelta do, in my opinion.

Is it still common to DQ people for Covid in Europe?

It might be happening here in the US too, but I haven’t heard anyone mention it for a while now.

I enjoyed following the race as well. It’s interesting to see the tactical differences in men’s and women’s cycling at the moment. I did like the running theme of cyclists at least trying to make things interesting for the favorites with random attacks and advantageous moves. 

Vollering :NED looks pretty damn strong at the moment. 

Road Cycling 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted

I like reading through some of the old multi-sports games/Olympics threads every once and a while, and I came across a real gem from the 2016 road cycling thread today.

On 8/10/2016 at 8:51 AM, hckošice said:

One special mention to Primoz Roglic of Slovenia, just couple of years back he was a member of Slovenian ski jumping team, but because lack of motivation due to huge concurences in Slovenia team he just somehow decided to start do road cycling and today he is going for a top 10 at olympics :)

Do you know what became of that guy @hckošice? I haven’t heard much lately. He’s probably just happy to have finished in the top 10 at the Olympics :p 

Road Cycling 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted

Road furniture in the last Km, someone spraying the peloton with a hose just ahead of that, questionable television direction; the Vuelta a San Juan is in full swing :cool: :p

37 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

TdF domination + their first FIFA WC, this will be the greatest year ever for Danish sports.

I’m still expecting Italy to win both somehow :p

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

After going to the place where David Lappartient is the mayor, then going to the place where David Lappartient was born, we now go to the place where David Lappartient works, all three of those places making their debut. But no conflict of interest at all for mister "a Russian oligarch/team owner made me UCI president so he could be more involved in decisions" :p 

I was going to comment on how organizers managed to visit both the “Olympic capital” and UCI Headquarters this year, but you beat me to it.