website statistics
Road Cycling 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted

Everyone is always like, “remember the team time trial, we should put it back in the Olympics.” I agree, but I think everyone on the team should have to ride the same bike (just maybe not on gravel) :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, dodge said:

:KAZ with a storming October to leap into 19th place overall

Lutsenko deserves a statue outside the cycling federation. He was on fire :cycling:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Agger said:

Would love to see Kuss win it. Damn strong rider and seems like a great guy, but man pundits and "fans" are tiring during this race.

I’m just here for the memes.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Hopefully they're going to keep doing this and not actually gift it to Kuss, it was already awful enough that Van Aert gifted Gent - Wevelgem - a monument of all things and at least as prestigious as the Vuelta - to Laporte :lol: 

I want one of them to take the jersey by a few seconds, and then Kuss to take it back by making an unannounced sprint at the bonus. Maximum inter-team drama :p

Road Cycling 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted
8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Belgian Jumbo rider Nathan van Hooydonck was involved in a car accident in Belgium this morning, reportedly after becoming unwell. He was in the car with his pregnant wife, who got off without injuries, but Van Hooydonck was - according to a police spokesman - treated with CPR and taken to hospital in critical condition...not the first time they face hardship, one and a half year ago the couple lost their baby.

Three others were injured, although lightly.

Jumbo Visma statement:

The race is almost beyond parody at this point. It’s like the organizers took Tour De Pharmacy as an blueprint for success rather than a mockumentary :p

Giro coverage in the US has been on FloSports or GCN the few years. Vuelta and Le Tour are covered by NBC. I feel like the Giro has the worst host broadcast coverage.

LV/LT also seem to attract more prominent GC riders in my opinion. 

Some drama at the bonus point on today’s stage. Organizers weren’t sure about the order and asked spectators for phone videos. 

https://x.com/raulbanqueri/status/1695826032136261855?s=46&t=eeNhSzi4Rylqjvpt-IBinQ

The Giro is the weakest grand tour, but this one is becoming a bit of a joke.

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:SLO are currently in a position which would allow them to send a second rider for the time trial but to only have 1 rider in the road race. 

Yeah, the quota here was a nice “steal” for them. 

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Anyhow, cycling in the Olympics is an infuriation matter altogether. Like the total lack of events in track cycling and the program being kept tiny all the time (I mean come on, the individual pursuit, the king of track events next to the individual sprint, isn't even Olympic....), whereas something like swimming has a gazillion semi-similar events and they can just keep adding stuff whenever :p 

But still I'll watch everything, because obviously :d 

The low field sizes across the board are driving me crazy this cycle. Every discipline/event has less entries than it really needs in my opinion. I do hope it’s something that can be fixed in the near future, but it seems unlikely for now.

That said, individual pursuit can stay off the program. We already have one time trial. I’d rather see the omnium gone, and a separate points race and elimination race included. 

51 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Did only 51 racers finish?

That's all I'm finding so far...

Glasgow 2014, with a similar course and conditions, only had 12 finish. This is an improvement :p

7 hours ago, dcro said:

Vatican's main sponsor is VisitMalta? :lol:

It was about 50/50 in terms of the flags flying over apartments when I was there :p

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Any links for streaming?? (Preferably all events)

Have a VPN if it helps :yes

UCI YouTube Channel has a lot of streams. You just need to set your VPN to a country that has access to them.

If the Tour de France was a bad example of fan interactions this year, then the Tour de France Femmes is a horrible example for team cars :hairpull:

Another breakaway win after the peloton left it too late, and many riders got caught in a big crash just before 1km to go.

A young cyclist from :ITA passed away after crashing on a decent during a race in Austria.

Link: https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/38051953/cyclist-jacopo-venzo-17-dies-crash-austria-race

Yara Kastelijn :NED is having a great tour. Phenomenal solo breakaway win for her today :thumbup:

Vollering continued the proud tradition of Dutch women celebrating second place finishes as well :p

Weather catching a couple riders out in the Tour De France Femmes. The rain stayed away at the TdF for the most part, but it definitely found the women’s race yesterday. Kopecky looked good for the double with that lead out, but Lippert had a far better sprint. 

Similar stage on offer today, so I assume it will be much of the same. Stage 4 might create some excitement in the GC battle, but it really looks like everyone will be chasing a few second here to there before the last two stages blow the race apart.

Asgreen :DEN centimeters from pulling the double. It felt like a mini-classic today. A lot of fun stages and battles this year.