website statistics
il y a 2 minutes, JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

Shooting isn't very athletic yet no one is trying to remove it from the games. Heck, bridge and chess are recognized sports by the IOC so there's no reason why e-sports wouldn't theoretically be recognized.

The main issue is that there is no unifying federation. Different games are rarely played in the same event (with the exception of fighting games and events like EVO).

Shooting has been part of the Games since the begininng. History is a criteria for IOC and entering and staying are two differents things all together (ie, if Modern Pentathlon had to bid today to enter the olympics they will never be chosen).

Besides, I've heard many times people saying that shooting should be excluded for that reason (and I'm personnaly not far from agreing with them)

il y a 8 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

even if I care about "tradition", my opinion about E-Sports and the Olympics has nothing to do with that...

it's just that those are NOT sports activities and therefore shouldn't even be counted nor recognized by the IOC. Point. :evil:

And why do you believe we consider (I agree btw) that e-sport is no sport and should not be part of the olympics, if not because of tradition ? :d

Edited by De_Gambassi

I've a hard time imaginning chess, poker and e-sport players sharing the same event. That doesn't seem like a natural fit at all :d

My bet, e-sport will end up having their own sort of games. That will be big, but not as big as anyone thinks and won't hurt the OG. Kinda like the X Games, really.

Il y a 22 heures , heywoodu a déclaré:

which I guess was ok, I don't really know :p Like always: good things, bad things, ok things. 

Pretty much this. Just like during the Olympics, not everything can goes to shit or be great.

Short term memory doesen't help neither. Apparently, according to wikipedia, there has been a men's Euro Volley this year. Go figure.

il y a 3 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

Kinda, confused on the wording but it all depends on the eSport to be honest I would rather watch a swimming final than a SFIV final because I dont follow SFIV. But I'd watch a SFIV final before I watch a Sport Climbing final. 

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm half-drunk. Get used to it !

But thanks anyway for your answer. I still feel like most of the esport fans are very passive viewers (ie: they will not turn on for one given event, but simply launch twitch and see what's going on); which it's not really how the olympics work.

il y a 16 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

Your correct, eSports is not a sport if it was they would just call it "sport" but instead they call it eSports because it's an electronic sport. Even though it's not a "sport" I do still think eSports still has a place in the Olympics. 

Just for the sake of discussion. You you watch the final of say SFIV instead of an athletic or swimming final ?

Edited by De_Gambassi

il y a 6 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

But some eSports are spectator friendly even if you haven't ever watched/played it before. I guess I'm just not understanding why people are so against it. 

Because, many (myself included) don't consider esport as a 'sport'.

Esport are not spectators friendly at all if you didn't grew up playing video games (and, even then, LoL is something not noob-friendly at all)

Besides, you have to remember , that the people who are calling the shots are in their 60s or 70s. There might be a reason why skateboarding was included 20 or 30 after it explodes.

Besides (x2), IIRC, the olympic sports program will be the same until 2024 except for additional sporst, and I realy don't see the Paris OC going for ESport (lack of available venue, and much better proposition from other sports). It will be 2028 at the sooner (hopefully never).

il y a 35 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

Since when billiard and poker players need quick reflexes?

And last time I checked computer mouse didn't weigh 4 kilos...

My god, you're such an happy tedious follow....

Drop the part between () then, the point remains @Vojthas was arguing for shooting using the exact same words an e-sport fan would argue. The irony.

My only point: shooting  is used by the various 'sports' that recquires little to no athletic skills (e-sport, poker, bridge, billard, pétanque, etc.) as an exemple why they they souldn't be left out from the olympics for this reason alone. Something that couldn't have been better highlighted by @Vojthas comment

IMHO, this is an issue that should be resolved by the IOC, either by cutting the sport from the Olympics or by singling out shooting as some kind of an historic exception that no oher 'sports' should look for as an exemple.

Anyone could disagree with that, but FFS, don't single out a part of a sentance just to make a shitty argument.

Edited by De_Gambassi

il y a 11 minutes, Vojthas a déclaré:

Shooters also need strength - do you know what recoil is?

Recoil and 10m air pistol ?

Citation

And shotgun shooters have to have more reflex and concentration, as they are shooting to the moving target.

Exactly the kind of arguments that an "e-sport" (or poker, or billard, or whatever) fan would would use for an olympic inclusion. Something you apparently were against. Jeez....

Edited by De_Gambassi

il y a 7 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

Archery is a form of shooting that doesn't get bashed here. :p

It's outdoor, archers look relatively fit - mostly - (Brady :bye:), it recquires some strenght...

There always will be some kind of grey zone anyway (archery, golf...), but a line need to be drawned somewhere.

Il y a 2 heures , heywoodu a déclaré:

I don't think shooting for example is so much more physically demanding, I mean, judging by the sizes of quite a lot of the competitors. By which I'm not saying shooting is not demanding, I'm saying e-sports is a lot more physically demanding than most people think. Not allowing e-sports simply because "there's no physical activity" only shows one doesn't really have a clue (although that does sound perfectly like what the IOC might do then :p ),

It is demanding, just like any "mind sport" is. Yet, it doesn't recquire any athletics skills.

Shooting, neither, but it is an historic olympic sport, been there since the beginiing. IMHO, it's enough to warrant some kind of historic exemption to this rule.

I wouldn't cry neither if the IOC was to droping shooting from the progam anyway.

btw, the ioc is the one to blame here. They opened the door for this shit when they recognised billard as a proper sport (at the end of the 90's IIRC).

IOC should simply arbitrary state that no sport that recquires little to no athletics abilities should be part of the olympic program (juste like they do with motor sports). Period. Shooting beeing a kind of historical abnormality.

Edited by De_Gambassi

Sur 23/5/2016 at 21:34 , LDOG a déclaré:

They took world rankings of team sports.... and only male it seems. Now it makes sense.

But still, we have a like a million world titles in male Polo and Roller Hockey, so even worse: they only took "popular" sports.

Even, their list of popular sports is very much a particular one. Netball and Rugby League, but no Water Polo or Futsal ? Meh, that's a very anglo centric map.