website statistics

I was a bit of a thorn in LA28’s side regarding this during my time at ATR. LA doesn’t have a canoe slalom venue, so this was always going to be a sticky issue with their “no build” promise. Plus, they set lofty environmental goals, and it’d be tough to justify this kind of water use in a state that’s drought prone. They always held their cards close on the matter though. I haven’t heard any whispers about this, so can’t speak to likelihood of that happening.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Also any news on rowing categories? Lightweight? Coastal?

Today’s statements seem to indicate those decisions will be finalized in 2023.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

It should be noted that weightlifting had 24 medalling nations in Tokyo, while boxing had 25. The list of nations included the likes of :TKM:SYR:GHA.

Surfing, and especially skaterboarding, are not exactly... diverse. Although diversity only really counts in certain situations.

Anyways, I am not exactly sad for boxing/weightlifting (for IOC/AIBA and IWF, rather), but still I don't see these sports as deserving replacements. It's not like the universality was only lacking in medals, it was also very much lacking in participation.

In regards to universality, it is a shame that Karate wasn’t added as a core sport. It could have replaced boxing as another combat sport too. 

“With regard to football, the IOC will continue to monitor the evolution of the international match calendar.” Noteworthy quote as well.

Damn, UPIM fucked up. Glad to see boxing and weightlifting gone. They had ample opportunity to clean up their act over the last few years. 

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

Logo got created way too soon. Paris 2024 logo came out like yesterday.

Capitalizing on the opportunity presented by Covid. It also gives them a long time to develop a solid brand. Plus, like I said, this presents a lot of merchandising opportunities. 

Consensus on the logo(s) seems to be that most people like the concept, but feel like the execution is lacking. I feel that way too. They’ve got eight years, so maybe they’ll have some time to make some popular changes.

I will say from a communications point-of-view, this is ingenious. It really makes the Games feel focused on the athletes and local community. It plays to many of the values Angelenos pride themselves on. It’s also a great marketing strategy. Merchandising should be really strong since people will have some different logos to chose from, or even try to collect. Plus, they have eight years to add more styles, make alterations, etc.

14 minutes ago, hckosice said:

the one at 0:45 my god ! :roflmao:

Matches the artistic style of a lot of famous Hispanic artists.

23 minutes ago, dcro said:

The logo is GIF? Who was in charge, bestmen??

It’s not a GIF, per say, but yeah, pretty much. Each different A was designed by local athletes, celebrities, and artists. The logo is always changing, and represents the awesome diversity and culture of LA.

If you go to the LA28 YouTube Channel, you can see a lot of the stories behind the different A’s

Statement from the website: “Los Angeles is more than a city. It's a mindset. A movement. Millions of people speaking hundreds of languages coming together under two iconic letters. LA is an infinite canvas to pursue your wildest dreams.”

Damn true.

I love the concept. I love that athletes and locals were involved in creating the logo. I probably would have preferred a singular logo, but this is a really cool and innovative idea. 

Here’s all of the unique A’s that are used in the “ever-changing” logo (and who they are designed by): https://la28.org/en/la-stories.html

LA2028 has announced their logo(s) (emphasis on plural)!

The logo will be ever-changing to reflect the diversity of LA. Olympians, Paralympians, Celebrities (such as Billie Ellish and Reece Witherspoon), and local artists have made contributions to the logo.

ITG Reporting:

More info:

LA2028 released a sick new trailer.

The LA2028 LOC also released the following statement today.

I love the sentiments in the statement. LA is totally both a place and mindset. I think we have a little ways to go before making the rest of the statement true though.