website statistics
21 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I'm not so sure about that, especially with some of them playing in the NBA play-offs, but the fact we're hosting means our federation will be pushing hard for them to play.

I don't buy this, as any player who doesn't make the NBA Finals will have around a month between the end of the playoffs and the qualification tournament. There only player who might face a quick turnaround is Chris Boucher. 

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019
Posted
Just now, George_D said:

Latvia also would deserve a wildcard. Remember their starting-5 in eurobasket 2017. Very good team

It will probably end up being the teams that grease the palms of FIBA the most :d 

Posted
Just now, George_D said:

What is MLSE?

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. They own the Toronto Raptors and have done lots of work with Canada Basketball. They're a bunch of cheap fuckheads though, so I doubt they do anything. 

Posted (edited)

Who has qualified for the OQT. None of this is official, I am just basing it off current rankings, and so things could change. 

OQT: 

3 of Serbia/Spain/France/Poland/Czech Republic

Lithuania

Italy

Greece

Russia

Brazil

Venezuela

Puerto Rico

Dominican Republic

Germany

New Zealand

Tunisia

Canada

Turkey

Wild Cards:

Slovenia (Europe)

Croatia (Europe)

China (Asia)

Philippines (Asia)

Senegal (Africa)

Angola (Africa)

Mexico (Americas)

Uruguay (Americas)

Edited by ofan

Posted

Giannis does not get the same calls in the international game as he would in the NBA - there is not the same "star treatment". For those reasons, combined with weaker coaching, I'm really not surprised that the Greek team only made it this far. 

Posted
Just now, NearPup said:

I expected nothing and I’m still let down.

A pretty large part of me feels like it would be well deserved for this current generation of Canadian NBA players to never qualify for the Olympics.

I agree. They are a generation who has been given everything, and they are wasting it. 90% of them will probably never win an NBA ring anyways - An Olympic medal might be their only shot at some sort of glory 

Posted
27 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Both teams are participants at WC, so how is that absurd? Absurd is statement that 1998 team played better than USA in 2019? Absurd is statement that 1998 team won a medal and this 2019 team could finish empty handed? Interesting.

I think it's a testament to the improvement of other teams around the world, not the other way around. The 2018 team would walk all over the 1998 USA team. 

Posted
Just now, ChandlerMne said:

I watched their 1998 team. And they were solid compared to this one. And their 1998 team was weakest in history.

That is so absurd. This team is composed of NBA players, several of which are potential All-Stars and the top players on their NBA team. The 1998 team had no NBA talent. I don't quite see how the two are comparable. 

Posted
Just now, dareza said:

Walker was best player in Charlotte last year.

Mitchell is so far best player from Utah Jazz.

Tatum, Braun and Smart one of the best players from Celtics.

Lopez and Middlton one of the best in Milwaukee.

What to say about Barnes? He was in Olympic team 2016.

Tarner one of the best in Indiana.

So this is not bad players at all. Actually they are very good.

Not to mention they are being coached by the best coach in the world, and one of the best coaches in the NBA in Steve Kerr

Posted

What a joke. Shame on all of the healthy players who failed to play in this tournament. Canada Basketball needs to get its act together for the final qualification tournament. 

This exercise was a complete waste of talent for a program that should have been a medal contender. Even though this was expected, I'm still furious. 

Posted
2 hours ago, intoronto said:

They won game one and lost game 2.

I'm fairly confident that we will at least beat Senegal. I also expect that Canada basketball will rally the troops for the fqt, and get all of our best players to show up

Posted
25 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Is this the third game of the series ?

Apologies, I was referring to the first game. I had yet to see the score of the second one. Nonetheless, they could beat them in the tournament but we’ll see 

Posted
21 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada will lose all 3 games by a very small margin. Sad. Hopefully they can qualify via a fqt.

They just dominated Australia without any NBA players on their roster. 

Posted
1 hour ago, LDOG said:

Being an NBA player doesn't automatically make you better than any euroleague player, especially not in 2019. This is not the 90s.

Also, it's way easier for a canadian to become an NBA player than it is for any european, asian, latinamerican or african player because generally it's easier for a canadian to attend an american college.

I didn't mean that. But a "best of the best" Canadian starting 5, and a few bench players, would certainly be stronger than the majority of EuroLeague players. 

I also see the point you're making about American colleges - but NBA teams have massive scouting operations. If a foreign-born player playing in Europe is worthy of making it to the NBA, he will get drafted, or at least invited to come and workout with a team. In that sense, top foreign players have just as strong a chance of making the NBA as top Canadians do.