website statistics
Athletics at the European Games 2023
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Then why are you not there???

You have to be the change that you want to see in this world. 

Honestly, I would have loved to have attended these Games. My wallet and I had enough of Europe for one month unfortunately :p

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

At least we know how they lost one spectator now @Vojthas :p

Only athletics and beach handball are scheduled for today. I postponed my trip to the Silesian Stadium for the first day of athletics. I will drop by when the Poles start (June 23-25).

Link (in Polish): http://radiogol.pl/felieton/dobrze-jest-bawimy-sie-krakowski-bohater-dnia/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

In the Pole Vault showdown of the ex-:YUG:MKD DNS:MNE NM, so I’m calling :MNE for the win.

:MKD got put in the sin bin for that one. Link: https://results.european-games.org/pdf/EG2023/ATH/EG2023_ATH_C67_ATH------------------------------22.pdf

In fairness to the organizers, pole vault/triple jump isn’t one of the more common doubles for an athlete to attempt :p

Don’t think we’ll see any medalists from today’s events from Division 3. A couple might be able to sneak onto the podium from Division 2.

Volkov (as the commentator says) takes the win :SVK 

No sure the time will be good enough for an individual medal…

Posted (edited)

Volko :SVK with an opportunity to be a three time European Games medalist…let’s see how he goes.

Edited by Olympian1010

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

A pet peeve of mine, whenever i see such empty stands.. Don't know why the host doesn't organize school field trips. Like how many schools are there in Krakow, 20? You can bring children from age 8 to 15 and make it a mandatory sports going. The parents can come too. Then you have these children watch some semi-professional sport and there is some attendance...

:MLT did a great job of getting school kids out to the venues for the GSSE. Definitely something that should be done regularly. You could tell how cool it was for them.

2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

yep by a mighty 1 single point :p

:SVK of all countries should know how valuable that can be given the Baku 2015 drama :p

I’ve actually enjoyed the commentary team on the world feed. A few silly slip-ups, but they’re keeping me interested in the event at least.

30 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I just notice that's Duplantis isn't in for Sweden :nopompom:

The 50 spectators in the stands will be disappointed :p

Posted (edited)

:GIB:MON haven’t entered any athletes in Division 3, so AASSE won’t be in danger of a promotion this year :(

:GIB was allowed to enter athletes in 2015, so I’d imagine they’d be allowed to again, but it seems odd that they’re missing.

Edited by Olympian1010

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

all medal ceremonies of the individual events will be held at the end of the program of the last day of competition (from 7 to 10 p.m. local time) because, as you wrote, the final individual rankings include all the 3 divisions of the team championship :evil: ;)

No, the EOC has clarified there will be no medal ceremonies for the individual events. Medals will be made available for team representatives to pick up and give/ship to the athletes at their discretion.

From the EOC:

Due to time constraints and the fact that the athletes from second and third division will not be present anymore in Poland during the first division competitions, there will be no medal ceremonies held at the Silesian Stadium in Chorzow.

Medals, mascots, and diplomas will be ready for collection in the in the Sport Information Centre in AVL Krakow latest on 29 June and they can be picked up by the Chef de Mission, Deputy Chef de Mission, or Proxy Card holder.

Individual performances could also land athletes on the podium from tomorrow on…figuratively of course, since there won’t actually be any medal ceremonies for the individual events :wacko:

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted

Posted
32 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada 1-2 in Gotzis. Warner was second.

Anna Hall :USA moves to 5th on the all-time performance list. Just needs to find a little extra somewhere and she could break the 7000 barrier this year. 

I saw another track personality comment on it, but worth pointing out that Jana Koščak :CRO registered the best mark for a U18 athlete in senior competition @dcro 

I don’t really see any reason to kick the 20km Race Walk off the program at the moment. I feel like users on here are acting like those events don’t exist...

I would agree with axing the mixed race walk relay in favor of quotas elsewhere though.

:COL qualified a woman in race walking (last week), but I don’t think we’ve added her to the list yet @Cinnamon Bun @JoshMartini007

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
6 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

so a scavanger hunt and not athletics basically,got it,doesn't really sound like ''real world'' but whatever you say man 

It’s the basically the pinnacle of ultra-marathoning in the United States. All our big running media outlets cover the race.

Posted
1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

There aren‘t many disciplines were Athletes can Control World records like that. I think Isinbaeva used to do the Same. Seems a Bit unfair that the potential to earn prize money is directly related to that. Maybe it would be better if the prize money would depend on the percentage of world record improvement. What Kipchoge did over the years has been at least as impressive, but of course he never had the chance to do what Duplantis regularly does.

Conversely, I’d imagine there’s more sponsorship money in marathon running than there is in pole vaulting. However, I’d also imagine Mondo will be one of the best paid athletes for the next few cycles.