website statistics
Athletics WA World Championships 2023
Posted
15 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Or, crazy idea, we could get rid of the mixed 4x400m.

I really don’t see what everyone dislikes about it. It’s just like the other relays. Plus, like I said above, it could help save quotas in the long run. 

I really think gendered relays should be dropped from multi-sports games when/where possible. There’s too many “relay only” athletes who take up quotas that could be used elsewhere.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

Athletics is just about the only sport my father and I watch together. I will remember Crosser’s throw and Bol’s fall for a while. A pretty eventful start to champs at least.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
3 hours ago, dcro said:

It is a meh event when the US sets a WR with some no name team. :wacko:

The “easy way” to fix some of that would be to cut down on the number of duplicate races, namely the m/w 4x400m. You could save some quotas that way too.

Posted
3 hours ago, Bearas said:

How come none of the Dutch athletes can finish the races today? :cry:

They aren’t used to being above sea-level. Probably got too tired at these high altitudes :p

Posted
11 hours ago, Josh said:

CBC Commentators just called :BUR "Nigeria" :p

11 hours ago, hckošice said:

Czech commentator keep calling :BUR for some reason Burundi :yes

11 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Hope that :KEN long jumper Koala is able to find her favourite eucalyptus leaves in Budapest.

:BUR really couldn’t catch a break this morning, could they? :p

Posted
11 hours ago, Monzanator said:

:HON Garcia with the pity yellow card. Good decision. All the way across the world for DQ would be very harsh.

The back of his uniform has a gorgeous Latin American-style mural on it as well. More race uniforms like that please!

https://x.com/justin_britton/status/1692896903044722952?s=46&t=eeNhSzi4Rylqjvpt-IBinQ

Posted
19 hours ago, Josh said:

Reigning World Champion and current World Record holder :NGR Amusan cleared to compete 

https://dailypost.ng/2023/08/12/tobi-amusan-cleared-to-compete-in-world-championship/

World Athletics put out a statement that said those reports are inaccurate. They are still waiting for a decision.

Posted
11 hours ago, Monzanator said:

But those athletes could easily be banned by national committes if they refuse to represent their countries and I can't see how WA or any governing body would side with some individuals (no matter how successful they are) over national sporting bodies when it comes to global or continental championships.

Then I don’t want to hear any arguments from IFs/IOC that international sports are apolitical because that’s clearly and simply untrue.

Posted (edited)

Cool, so World Athletics has created a system that doesn’t necessarily rank runners on best performance outright (since they factor in field strength, location, etc.), which has also apparently resulted in countries not sending “the best ranked” athletes under said system. 

Honestly, the Russia crisis, Israeli opponent withdraws, and growing theme of NOCs rejecting rightfully qualified athletes should really provide the impetus to create a “stateless” category of athletes. Those could be athletes who chose not to represent a country, but rather compete as an individual (self-fundraising, managing, etc.)

Edited by Olympian1010

These are kind of things that really upset me concerning national federations. Their job, at base level, is to support the participation of their athletes. If someone met the standard/ranked high enough, every effort* should be made to make sure they can go to the world championships.

*I can understand financial hardship, but that definitely isn’t the problem in this case.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LDOG said:

And that track is to be used for competition too? How are the people below going to watch anything up there?

I bet it’s meant to be used as a recreational/public area, not a competition zone.

Edited by Olympian1010

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted
13 minutes ago, phelps said:

no idea

but tbh, I don't think he will actually go for the double at the world champs, even if he qualifies through the US trials (the Olympics would be another story, of course, but the risk of injury 1 year before the Games is too high for an athlete like Kerley).

*U.S. National Championships. The trials only take place during the Olympic season :d

@Josh Do national championships count for the Olympic standard? I feel like there are times when the USATF Championships haven’t in the past.

Edited by Olympian1010

8 hours ago, Josh said:

To anyone reading this, is it okay if we wait until meets are over to post all qualified athletes? Harder to find information when it's all scattered out.

Or just make one post and edit it as the meet goes along.

Athletics WA Diamond League 2023
Posted
13 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

They kept well away from the Discus guys!  :lol:

Discus only gets a couple of minutes of screen time on a good day, so not worth the effort to protest :p