website statistics
1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I raise you...Harijesy Razafindramahatra :MAD (swimming, Atlanta 1996)

Or better yet @hckošice... Tojohanitra Tokin'aina Andriamanjatoarimanana :MAD (swimming, Athens 2004)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Nothing will never beat

image.png

I raise you...Harijesy Razafindramahatra :MAD (swimming, Atlanta 1996)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Medal for Pia Skrgzhgzhshhtdhxhowska :clap:

That's fun and all, but just wait for :MAD:THA:IRI athletes to enter the chat :p

20 minutes ago, hckošice said:

and Benelux seems the new relays superpowers.

:LUX has Van Der Weken. They just need to find another talent or two :d

1 hour ago, phelps said:

actually, it's not a great idea

it makes the world champship just a meet like another, with no hype for many athletes, for TV networks and, in the long term, also for fans

look at those sports who already have the world champ every year ;)

Conversely, it also gets rid of the “dead year” during each cycle. Although, I’ve read there won’t be a formal word championships in 2026. World Athletics wants to do some sort of top flight invitational though.

On 2/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, SalamAkhi said:

🚨 400m WR ALERT🚨 

Christopher Morales Williams :CAN just broke the indoor 400m WR during the SEC Championships in Fayetteville with a 44.49.

Previous best was Michael Norman's 44.52.

Don't want to throw shade on him but he's an absolutely random guy, at least for breaking a WR :p No credential to his name. Still young though, only turning 20 in August. Previous best from last year : 45.48 as a u20. 45.39 indoors this year. 

8 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Sure, but lots of sports are broadcast with the same dual sex basis & biathlon is the only one where women win the ratings battle. 

The broadcast slots the women's event are able to get might also have something to do with it.

Just now, Grassmarket said:

Gymnastics, Figure Skating (Olympic) Softball & Netball (non-O) are the only female sports that sustain the kind of commercial audience sufficient to be professional without subsidies from the male version.  AFAIK the single shared sport where the women get bigger audiences & therefore better TV spots than men is….biathlon. :yikes: 

A lot of that does come down to publicity and broadcast coverage though. Would women's biathlon be as big if not offered as dual package with men's biathlon for the last few decades?

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Those channels are mostly commercial though, so will show what they believe earns them money.

Yes, and no. Women’s sport has been an afterthought for broadcasters for so long. There’s just this belief that “no one wants to watch that,” and so a lot of networks don’t/didn’t really bother to program women’s sport. We’ve seen attendance records shattered in women’s sports over the last few years, and when those events are broadcast on mainstream channels or freely on publicly available channels people pay attention.

6 hours ago, phelps said:

if there are 10 million male pro athletes and 100 competitive Nations in a sport and 10k pro athletes and 7/8 competitive Nations among the women in the same sport, why should they have the same treatment?

This is a bit of a "Catch 22" though. You can't give women less opportunities to compete, win medals, etc. and expect growth in their sports. If there's less opportunities to make a living, win accolades, train with a nearby club, etc. there's probably going to be less athletes.

The point of women's events and domestic laws like "Title 9," are to give female athletes equal, or at least equitable, opportunities to compete. If NOCs (outside the few at the top) can't qualify athletes or win medals in women's event, what incentive do they have to invest in women's sports?

In terms of mixed events, some of them have awful formats. I'll agree with you there. However, I will say that they encourage an NOC to develop a sport/event in both genders. If the point of a relay/team event is to measure the depth of an NOC's talent, then I don't really see a problem in that regard.

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This does sort of depend on the sports, competitions and so on. When competing for national teams, I'd say men and women should have the same prize money and such, but in commercial competitions (think club football, road cycling and the likes) it simply makes sense to distribute pay according to what it brings in. One can easily pay a star football player millions of euros, since shirt sales alone will easily make up for that, but good luck making up a 3 million salary for a top female player by merchandise and such..

I would agree with some of this, but I'd add that women's sports should at least be given the same opportunities to make those kind of earnings. If you relegate their events to backwater channels, then you can't really be surprised they don't rake in as much.

59 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

The genders are not equal in sports. Men perform better in them because biology,there faster in running,swimming,jump longer,Throw farther,you get the idea. Therefore when speaking generally more people on average are more excited to watch their events,which results in better pay,and more attention for future competitions.

I mean...there are a lot people on this forum who follow both genders and find equal interest (or at least enough interest) in both sports. Plus, women sports have been putting up great broadcast numbers in the United States, especially when given more optimal broadcast slots.

1 hour ago, Biathlonfan said:

By all means you are free to advocate that the women start throwing a 2kg discus after the Olympics but that will also mean much worse results, and people would be even less interested]. i fail to see the problem,nor do i[and i assure you many other people,including WOMEN] care about there being an equal number of men and women at the Olympics, i fail to see how other than getting brownie points from certain people,that really adds to anything

I don't think equally, or better phrased "equity," means we need to ignore biological difference necessarily. You can have discus for both genders and have a slight weight difference. However, if a majority of female athletes wanted the weights equalized, then I don't see a problem really.

Women also constitute a non-insignificant proportion of the global population. As someone with a degree in public relations, I'd argue the available research doesn't really support excluding large segments of your potential audience. Generally, not a great idea commercially or socially (at least in most circumstances).

If more women don't want to do professional sport because ''not enough pay/not enough attention'' too damn bad,they can do something else,odds are they wouldn't have achieved anything remarkable in sport with those beliefs anyway.

I also don't think it's crazy to request equally pay (or earning potential, or business rights, etc.) when doing (essentially) the same the job. Yes, I understand the men's leagues rake in a lot more money, but that's also related to have less historical barriers to practice sport, getting more broadcast time (and better time slots), and more media exposure. 

There are a lot of male athletes who complain about their pay, but still do some pretty remarkable things in sport. I think the last part of that thought is pretty moot.

That's why gender Equality in sports is bullshit, because it doesn't exist, and artificially making it exist will not force people to watch more women's sport,more likely they will turn it off.

I mean...again...I think there may be some policy related reasons for that.

And no in no way,shape or form should SKATEBOARDING be an Olympic sport,that just makes the Olympics look dumb/childish

I think there are also sports many American (or Japanese, or Ghanan, or Indian, etc.) viewers feel the same way about, but the beauty of the Olympics is the diversity of what's offered (at least in my opinion).

Skateboarding might not make the Olympics "more relevant," but I think same could probably be applied conversely on that point (and if people have a problem with athletes being too young, that can be tweaked of course).

36 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

The problem is that globally you are creating two different sports. The high-tech 20% will compete to one set of rules, the low-tech poor 80% will compete to another.  What good does that do?

I do agree that is a major concern, if not huge problem, with the proposed format. The beauty of athletics is how accessible it is globally. World Athletics needs to make sure it stays that way (and the super shoes and world rankings format are already cause for concern in that regard). 

3 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

Translation- ''The event is too hard,we need to make it easier'' Here's some advice,why don't the athletes GET BETTER AND NOT FOUL ?

46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Jesus, exactly this. Part of long and triple jump is making sure your approach to the jump is correct....if you wish to take risks, you're free to do so, and it might pay off fantastically, but it might...you know, not.

To play “Devil’s advocate” on this issue, would the changes to the event actually make it about the “longest jump,” rather than the most accurate takeoff?

Definitely a story to keep tabs on…

My initial thought is that I’m not opposed to this decision, but it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Not sure if it will be available outside the United States, but CBS aired a piece on Kelvin Kiptum after his recent death. They were going to release it ahead of his next race in April :( (The round table discussion at the end is “meh,” but the piece itself is nice)

:USA women‘s team for the marathon

:USA men’s team will be finalized after the end of the qualification period, since only Mantz and Young have reached the standard. 

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted
10 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's clearly a water section in an equestrian cross-country course :evil:

they're lucky that they at least removed the fences to jump over :lol: :p

Honestly, cross country courses should have stuff like that. The manicured golf course races are basically just glorified road races.

There should be hills, mud, water, jumps, rocky bits, etc.

Posted

The only way this course could be more perfect is if they had to hop that log at the end of the water section.

Posted

Another one of the unique United States ultra-marathons. Here’s an old explanation of it: https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/12/04/big-dogs-backyard-ultra-marathon

Posted

I trained/ran in distance races for a decade a more. I absolutely loved doing 5kms. I picked up one injury in ultimate frisbee, and was told I had to stop unless I wanted a knee replacement later in life :(