website statistics
Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread
Posted
3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

History! After 59:58:21 hours, so 1:39 minutes until the cut-off, Jasmin Paris becomes the first ever female Barkleys finisher!

I was so pumped when I read the tweet(?). I missed the announcement since I was busy, but what an amazing accomplishment!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

59:38:42 and Hamilton is in as well, damn. Easiest Barkleys ever :d 

There's an actual leaderboard for once. You could have a whole graphic this year! :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

He entered the lap together with Jasmin Paris, but of course quite a lot can have happened since then, since that's 12 hours or so ago :p 

Course reports have her on a pace close to the cut off...

Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, and then next year we get more normal weather with mud, some of the ponds being frozen on the way etc, and it's going to be impossible to finish for a few years :d 

2025, the year no one makes it to loop two? :p

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

59:15:38 and there is John Kelly for his record third finish :bowdown: 

This is now the second time in the race’s history that we get back-to-back years with multiple runners reaching the finish.

It would certainly be interesting if there were back-to-back multi-finisher years given the reputation of the race. 2012/2013 is the only time it’s happened before (with three and two finishers respectively).

When are you and @brunamoura giving this a go @heywoodu?

Posted (edited)

The Barkley Marathon is 20+ hours underway. This X profile is providing some good updates.

Edited by Olympian1010

43 minutes ago, Jur said:

:ISV has the similar level athletes in women's 100 and men's marathon, can go either (or even both) ways

They have an athlete who may be able to get a quota in the women's 400m hurdles. In that case, I'd assume they'd use the invitation to send a male athlete.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Scientifically speaking it’s not possible to identify with either gender?

I was speaking more culturally/psychologically about gender identity. 

3 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Also,i'm not taking it as an insult,but i'm not a fox news watcher or reader,so them proclaiming a wiewpoint doesn't automatically mean i support it that aside all they seem to be doing here is quoting Hiltz who.....this is not a thing.

Genuinely didn't mean it to be an insult by the way. I just wanted to offer an alternative to the first article, since you were confused by the wording.

4 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Even if i accept non binary being a thing,Non binary Transgender is not a thing,you can not just smash the two together and say that your it,now yes all i'm arguing is the whole identifying thing,this is a biological woman,that's awesome,no one was robbed,however,to claim that she won something for the transgender community......when she's not even transgender,this women is litereally asking for people to harass,her because normal people,even in America do not hear or use Transgender-non binary as a single word,and will just assume that she was biologically male,and is now competing in women's spots,this is a really dumb way to try to get attention. There are people like Blaire white in this world people,who actually suffered gender dysphoria,and had to medicall change their body,who are essentially being mocked by what Hiltz is doing,as she takes all the praise,and support......by just proclaiming that she's trans,no work done,no suffering,just says it,i have a massive issue with that.,and that's all i really want to say on the topic.

I would agree that "transgender" and "non-binary" seem juxaposed to one another. I can definetly see non-binary identification as a potantial steeping stone to someone realizing their transgender identity, or not. Personally, I have no idea what Hiltz means by that terminology for it's worth.

2 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

There are people who identify as objects though,and there not kidding,and expect to be taken seriously.

Well, that's different concept in my opinion then. I've never met anyone who does seriously.

22 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

I can declare that i'm a banana,that doesn't mean that i'm actually a banana and people have to just act like there's nothing weird with that.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

I identify as Mondo Duplantis :p

Those aren't the same thing as being transgender or non-binary though. They aren't identifying as "non-human," or random objects. Nor, are they commiting identity theft. They're saying they culturally, or in some cases physically, identify with one gender or neither gender.

Edited by Olympian1010

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

But you can’t identify as non-binary, you’re either a male or a female and that’s that. Hiltz is a female. All the various pronouns (he/her/she/they/them/xer?) are bullshit.  

11 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

there's nonbinary[which i don't consider anything but a western invention].and there's being transgender which is an actual  proven thing,they are not the same thing,no matter how much non binary ''activists'' are trying to claim that they are. 

I think non-binary has more to do with people not identifying with commonly proclaimed masculine or feminine traits. It could also mean someone doesn't want their biology being considered when talked about (ie, essentially idenfiying as "general human"). I realize that aspect of that may be more difficult in the context of sport. Nonetheless, I don't feel like someone not wanting be connected to prescripted ideas of gender is that bad, honestly. 

10 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

There is no such thing as ''assigned at birth'' unless your a hermaphadite,you are either a girl or a boy.I can declare that i'm a banana,that doesn't mean that i'm actually a banana and people have to just act like there's nothing weird with that.Also i don't know why you are bringing transgender into this.there's nonbinary[which i don't consider anything but a western invention].and there's being transgender which is an actual  proven thing,they are not the same thing,no matter how much non binary ''activists'' are trying to claim that they are. 

That phrasing is a commonly accepted way of describing people's birth gender in the United States. If you don't like the way that source worded it, here's a quote from a story Fox News wrote about them: "Hiltz, a biological female who identifies as transgender non-binary, said it was a win for the trans community." 

Link: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nikki-hiltz-identifies-transgender-non-binary-dedicates-usatf-championship-win-trans-community

Edited by Olympian1010

35 minutes ago, Josh said:

:USA Hiltz on the podium with a silver :thumbdown::whistle:

Confusion over their gender aside, it's nice to see them getting some top results at the international level. They've been a popular runner on the domestic scene for a while, so I think a lot of people who bee happy to them qualify for the Olympics.

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

For some added context, Hiltz is biologically a male, but has since then “transitioned to a female” (Hiltz is transgender)

I'd advise fact checking such things before making arguements against athletes... 

"Hiltz was assigned female at birth but doesn’t identify with either binary gender, rather identifying as nonbinary and using they/them pronouns."

Link: https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021/06/17/transgender-athletes-olympics

8 minutes ago, hckošice said:

can not read it even at 5th attempt, buddy...

you won

Here, I'll give you a slightly easier challenge... Hanitriniaina Rivosoa Rakotondrabé :MAD (athletics, Atlanta 1996/Sydney 2000)