website statistics
[PREDICTION CONTESTS] Discussion Thread
Posted (edited)
hace 1 hora, Vojthas dijo:

I don't like the idea of five for one point, five for two points etc. The idea of points for correct bets is better. Still I'm a fan of deducting the betted points for incorrect bet.

The thing is, if we just do that "bonus for correct guesses" and no other change, then these users wouldn't change their strategy. I mean, probably they would care more about getting most of the bets right, but the strategy of betting only 10s and 1s would be untouched. There would be like two paralel games, one in which you try to guess as many bets as possible and another in which you try to win only your 10 point bets.

We have to make changes to the point distribution itself, otherwise that strategy will still be the dominant one.

As for deducting points, Dunadan already showed it wouldn't have any real effect (well, at least with the way I proposed, there could be other variants that make it work more efficently).

Edited by LDOG

hace 52 minutos, Dunadan dijo:

I have a question: was Rio 2016 the first edition of this kind of contest?

No, there was one for London in the old forum. It was organized by quasit, he created the rules we still use to this day.

Posted (edited)
hace 2 horas, OlympicsFan dijo:

The trick is to filter out the "safe" bets and then to use as many points as possible on them. Seems like a quite obvious strategy to me, but apparently it isn't.

In the end you have to play the game. I didn't make the rules. If you dont like them, then dont participate or participate but dont cry about them afterwards just because you didnt know how to take advantage of them.

First, I didn't participe in this one or in the Pyeongchang one. So I'm not "crying" because I had no dog in this. I'm just trying to help figure out a system that makes the biggest number of bets count, because that way the contest is more entertaining in my very personal opinion (though I think most users will agree with me on that point). I don't care if you or Dunadan win them from here to the end of time, that is not the issue. You are not the only two trying that strategy anyway. 

Second, I organized 2 of them. So I saw everyone's posts back then and of course I know what you've been doing. Also, because you've been very outspoken about your strategy since day 1. Not exactly a secret.

Edited by LDOG

hace 1 hora, Dunadan dijo:

No, it would make no difference. 

Are you suggesting that maybe the thing is that there are more "easy" bets than there should be?   

Or maybe putting a limit to the 10 and 9-pointers that can be placed would balance things better? 

Last year I thought we had to spice things up and have a "lost bet, points deduction" kind of system.

Like, right now the system is: you're given x maximum points to distribute and when you lose a bet you only lose points from that maximum of points.

What I had in mind was: you're given x points to distribute and when you lose a bet you lose points from the total points you earned with the bets you won. This way people will think twice before throwing 10s around without considering much consequences. It's a good strategy but breaks the spirit of the contest in a sense. Obviously, with this alternative system I would give a lot more points to initially distribute so very different strategies can take shape ("high risk, high pay" vs "conservative distribution", etc).

I was already thinking about it for Pyongyang but I had to make that bet contest quickly so I couldn't give shape to it. Also, I'm not exactly a mathematics genious so I could be terribly wrong in my ideas.

But now we have wumo taking over this, so I'm sure he will come up with a better points system :)

Posted

Honestly, i'm thankful there are any contests at all :dunno: And I think Wanderer has been wanting to quit for years but nobody has volunteered to fill his position.  I do think however that we should have scrapped the general standings thing years ago.