website statistics
Athletes Deaths Thread
Posted

My grandfather started coaching high school athletics in Oregon in the 1960s. We were chatting about the pre-flop days earlier this year. He used to teach the Western Roll, and even once criticized a kid for trying something similar to the flop in the late 1960s. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

If you’re looking for something a little different to watch this weekend…

One of my favorite annual RedBull events, RedBull PlayStreets, took place this week. It involves athletes competing on a narrow, winding, innovative slopestyle course through the streets of Bad Gastein :AUT :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

International Olympic Committee News
Posted
23 minutes ago, Dolby said:

But if IOC wants to continue ban on Russia for doping, it should continue to allow "Clean athletes" to compete under IOC flag.

Even under a neutral flag their top athletes are still registering positive tests before or during the Olympics. We can’t even award medals in team figure skating because of the quagmire they’ve created. 

26 minutes ago, Dolby said:

And what about Belarus? 

Belarus was also already on thin ice for political discrimination against their own athletes. The blame lies solely with their government there.

Posted
9 hours ago, Dolby said:

IOC is being accused of being an echo chamber but aren't you guys also in an echo chamber if you think that whole world wants to ban Russia/Belarus? 

Like I said in my post, I don’t expect, nor do I think, every nation is on board with banning BLR/RUS from Paris 2024. My comment was a more a general gripe about how any major decision made the by the IOC is almost always unequivocally supported without any dissent or suggestion of modification. This saga has just been a good demonstration of that point.

9 hours ago, Dolby said:

For years, we have been fed this bullshit of "Don't mix politics with sports" and now that Russia has invaded Ukraine, it is ok to mix politics with sports? 

I’ve been pretty adamant with my posts on here that the Olympics are intrinsically political. I do think an effort should be made to build bridges using sport, especially at the Olympics. However, I’d suggest violating the Olympic Truce after running a state-sponsored doping program isn’t exactly conductive of building those bridges between nations.

Posted
1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Still don´t get how that fencing 1976 gold medalist came up with the illusion that all national olympic committees unanimously agreed with his last week "amnesty"

Because the IOC, and to a greater extent the wider international sports network, has become an echo chamber that confirms the viewpoints of those in charge. It was honestly amusing watching PanamSports, EOC, OCA, ANOC, IFs, NOCs, etc. trip over each other to welcome the IOC’s position :p

This isn’t to say there is or isn’t large support for the path they’re going down, I just feel like you’d really expect to see a greater diversity of viewpoints on such a divisive subject :dunno:

Posted

Polish Sports Minister is hyping up a statement to be made by around 40 NOCs sometime in the near future saying that they don’t support the participation of BLR/RUS. Assuming that actually happens, it would be quite the fracture in the Olympic Movement (again, assuming that actually happens and it’s not just postering on his part.)

Link: https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230202-poland-expects-40-nations-to-oppose-russian-athletes-at-olympics

Posted

Again, it seems very likely the next president will be female based my time around upper management, but assuming male candidates will be considered…I wouldn’t count Illic (PanamSports) out.

Posted

I made a joke about the IOC putting out a statement a day on political issues, but it would seem that was more a prediction now :wacko:

Posted
59 minutes ago, phelps said:

she'll never be the IOC President...:whistle:

Her and Hoevertz would seem like the front runners to me (assuming everyone agrees the next president should be a woman.)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, nenad said:

Imagine beleiving Olympic Truce is a thing. 

The IOC made a pretty big deal of it before Beijing 2022, so apparently I’m not the only one…

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
5 hours ago, nenad said:

What a loss for world sports community. 

But jokes aside, just imagine how much unsportsmanlike is to wish that other athletes don't compete. I mean it's just insane. 

Imagine how unsportsmanlike it is to violate the Olympic Truce on the heels of getting a slap on the wrist for running a state-sponsored doping program during the Olympics you hosted… 

Posted

Interesting point raised by Krauchanka. How will the IOC approach the potential participation of “dissident” athletes if BLR/RUS are eligible to send teams. Belarus was already on thin ice with the IOC for political discrimination in athlete selection before the invasion. 

Posted

IOC doubling down on their statement. Definitely looking more and more like this will be the second Olympics in a row dominated by politics.

Posted

A follow up to what @Dragon posted…

It would seem Ukraine hasn’t made a decision on a potential boycott yet, but will meet soon to discuss potential actions if athletes from BLR/RUS are allowed to compete at Paris 2024.

Posted (edited)

I’m just surprised no one has asked the IOC, “what does Russia offer the Olympic Movement?”

They’ve broken the Olympic Truce, engaged in state-sponsored doping, and drove up an insane bill that has been citied by some as a reason for less bidders all within the last decade or two. Why fight so hard to bring them back in to the fold at every turn? 

I understand it’s a complex issue, and I do get some of the arguments made against unilaterally banning athletes from a particular country, but it’s not like the invasion is Russia’s only offense against Olympic values (as other users have pointed out.)

Edited by Olympian1010