website statistics
International Olympic Committee News
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, NearPup said:

* Seems like the national team event in alpine skiing isn’t dead after all? I wonder if the FIS will change the format.

They should take a page out of the ICF’s book and just have teams of three complete a timed run down the competition piste for each discipline :p

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Athletes Deaths Thread
Posted
30 minutes ago, hckošice said:

No real idea to be honest, probably some provocations during the match which then escalated to that last boarding and erupted on that brawl... To be fair I never saw such massive brawl in women hockey before

No, I meant will :BUL:ROU face disciplinary sanctions or anything like that from the IIHF?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Athletes Deaths Thread
Posted
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Well, if you got two elite athletes going at it then it's anyone's guess who was more to blame. Happens all the time in sports. Men also throw punches but women doing so kinda raises the drama factor by default.

I love some causal sexism :wacko:

Athletes Deaths Thread
Posted
6 hours ago, Dragon said:

It really sounds like her support team let her down. What a shame :(

Athletes Deaths Thread
Posted

@hckošice what happens in that case? Fighting is very frowned upon at the international level, right?

Doping Cases and Bans in 2023
Posted
5 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

uhhhhh.....Yeah,i can't add anything to that, other than even San marino can get crazy apparently

We already knew that from their Eurovision entries :p

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

The ISU recently sent out a fan survey asking about ice cross. They would be the most logical to take it over.

ATSX might have something to say about that plan :p

Link: https://www.icecross.org/en/atsx/

A fun possibility with the inclusion of natural track luge is the simultaneous inclusion of ice cross downhill. You could have natural track luge the first week, and then take a few days in the middle of the Games to remodel the track and prepare it for two or three days of ice cross downhill at the end of the Games.

I’ve been re-watching the 2015 European Games Beach Soccer tournament during my break from university. I really miss the warm weather now :p

Posted
38 minutes ago, intoronto said:

We would be having water skiing instead of skiing !

Which would actually be possible since the provision against the inclusion of motorized sports was taken out of the Olympic Charter in the last few revisions.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I'm almost sure that's Trentino. Taranto is in the South of the country, they have some amazing beach :p

I thought that sounded weird…

It was probably Trentino, but I misheard with the audio :d

Posted

IOC does not have any problems with the sport of boxing, or with boxers, but with the IBA (according to the IOC spokesperson). This matches largely the rumors/reporting @Dragon had picked up on earlier.

Posted (edited)

Some notes from today’s IOC EB presser…

:AFG remains on watch by the IOC, as does :IRI (both for access to sport for “women and young girls”)

:GUA remains suspended for governance issues.

:IND making progress on governance issues. IOC still has some reservations about the appointment of a CEO.

IFAF (American Football) will be recommended for full recognition at the IOC Session.

Edited by Olympian1010

Athletes Retirements Thread
Posted (edited)

T13 Legend Jason Smyth :IRL (4-time [consecutive] winner of the T13 100m)

Edited by Olympian1010

Doping Cases and Bans in 2023
Posted
4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

That is the problem as long as every nation can do whatever they want. As long as that doesn’t change, they might as well allow doping. Allowing doping would lead to more fairness than the current system. 

Not really. We’d probably just see a disparity in access to drugs like we see with the disparity in technology in sports where that matters.