website statistics
Athletes Retirements Thread
Posted
hace 3 horas, Werloc dijo:

Well, it's been brewing for a long time. This time our very own Rūta Meilutytė :LTU has announced her retirement.

It's been years of battling depression due to the pressure of the Lithuanian public as well as years of not being able to swim as fast as when she was 15.

It's fine. She has nothing to prove, she already earned the biggest honor a swimmer can achieve. Better to move on, stop suffering and think in other stuff as she is still too young for life. Those who criticize now will be making her homages in 10 years.

Rank
Flag
:MAW
:TKM
:ZIM
:LBA
:GRE

Totallympics Media
Posted

Yes, they broadcasted stuff like Rowing or Canoeing, some shooting and archery stuff. With just one camera, nothing high quality. But I think you already knew that?

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread
Posted

Thailand doping at weightlifting World championships, some important names involved: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1074559/thailand-could-lose-world-championships-after-six-weightlifters-test-positive-at-iwfs-flagship-event  

Sports Television Broadcasting Rights
Posted (edited)

This is the scene in Argentina..

Tv pública: the state channel. They show football NT matches and world cup in their main channel. However, they have a sport dedicated channel (called deportv). In that one they show documentaries or interviews about sport most of the time but also national leagues of minor sports like handball, hockey or volleyball. They broadcasted volleyball wch last year and now handball wch.  

ESPN: has 3 channels. Focus on american sports obviously (NBA, NFL, MLB). They also show a lot of tennis (all GS and M1000) and a lot of Rugby (Argentina NT, super rugby and European leagues). They also do the big Tours of cycling, the golf majors, big competitions of field hockey, some motosport and some obscure sports like is tradition of them. Overall, they are the channel that shows the less football here, though they have their good share of it as well.  

TyC Sports: used to show a lot of minor sports but now they show/talk 20 hours of football a day. Still, they show national league matches of basketball/volleyball (one per week lol). Their main thing, however, is that they do all multi-sport events (south american, panamerican and olympic games). It's their only redeeming quality these days.  

Fox Sports: trash. Only football all day since they have the rights for Argentina league and Copa Libertadores. Bizarrelly, in their second channel they show WWE and MMA since they have the rights for some reason.   

PS. Here is a list of the olympic sports that never ever get broadcasted here outside the olympics: Badminton, Table Tennis, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon, Sailing, Taekwondo, Waterpolo, Archery, Fencing, Shooting, all winter sports except figure skating.

I don't remember a broadcast of even WCh of any these sports.

Edited by LDOG

hace 8 minutos, intoronto said:

Football/Field hockey are the only possible team sports that can reduce quotas (Handball already subtracted one in the last quad) and all others are 12 or less. Its hard to subtract, but they need to come from somewhere. 

It's simply ridiculous to play field hockey with 15 players. It would be like a handball squad with 11 players. Like in handball, everyone except the keeper (and maybe one defender) is running from end to end all the time. And the hockey pitch is almost 100m long.

Football is possible (I guess) but it would become even more pathetic than it already is.

Edited by LDOG

Reducing to 15 players a sport which has 11 starters and constant substitutions is simply dumb.

I also don't think 17 players would be optimal for a football squad with the amount of injuries and suspensions you see in that sport.

As for reductions, I always said I'm against team events of individual sports, so there I guess...

Maybe sailing has too many people in windsurf and laser events.

Edited by LDOG

I absolutely hate these last week of december/first week of january.

I'm on vacation so I have lots of time to watch tv yet there is NOTHING interesting to watch. Only european league matches which I don't really care about and some garbage tennis tournaments.

Ok, back to watching series I guess...

Totallympics Sports Review of 2018
Posted

-Martin Fourcade (biathlon)

-Simone Biles (gymnastics)

-Netherlands national women's field hockey team

-Red Gerard (snowboard)

-Daria Bilodid (judo) 

-Ester Ledecka winning in ski and snowboard  

-that russian guy that doped in curling.

National & International Sports Awards
Posted
hace 21 minutos, heywoodu said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olimpia_Award

Never heard of the guy or even the racing series, although it is interesting to know it's the oldest still active series in the world :)

His performance does indeed look kinda....little, compared to almost all others in that list. Then again, a polo player and a junior swimmer also won it in the last few years, let's say it's quite an interesting list of names :p

The Polo player in question is the best player in the world. Although Polo is not exactly very competitive worldwide.

Posted

Yesterday was the ceremony for Olimpia awards, the most traditional award ceremony for sport in Argentina, voted by sport journalists.

There is a prize given to the best athlete in each sport in the year (both olympic and some non olympic sports). Among all the winners from each sport one is voted the argentine sportsperson of the year (the "Olimpia de oro").  

The winner of 2018 was some local category car racer :lol: It was a weak year for our sport in general but there was still a bit of controversy because handballer Diego Simonet didn't win the award after winning the champions league and being MVP of the final with Montpellier.  

These journalists have a tendency to vote for the popular sports most of the time (in argentina that would be football, tennis, auto racing, pro boxing). They usually vote smaller sports for the big award only if someone was world or olympic champion but sometimes not even that! In 2012 they snubbed our only gold medalist in London for some pro boxer that won a shitty world title. 

International Olympic Committee News
Posted
hace 5 horas, wumo26 said:

IOC tell International Federations not to award events to Spain if the Spanish Government cannot provide guarantees on Kosovo participation and prevent discrimination of athletes from Kosovo. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1072170/ioc-tell-international-federations-not-to-award-events-to-spain-unless-government-provides-guarantees-on-kosovo-participation

That's fine but they should also go harder against arab countries regarding Israel.

Doping Cases and Bans 2018 Thread
Posted
Ahora, heywoodu said:

Mad bestmen rant

Mostrar contenido oculto

tenor.gif?itemid=7553545

"Bestmen finds out systematic Algerian sport doping" youtube videos when?

Stars of the Future
Posted

Argentina has a bunch of world champions in youth/junior age groups in different sports but none of them are on the level of the teenage superhumans you see coming from China, USA, Canada, Australia, Europe in general, etc. so I would be embarassed to write anything on this thread :d

Best Sports Moments of Your Nation?
Posted
hace 39 minutos, heywoodu said:

Is that the one where eternal underdog Martin Verkerk reached the final?

I believe that was the year before.

Posted
hace 17 minutos, konig said:

Mostly agree except for Roland Garros, i include the title of thw World Cup of 1978 of football, another epic moment was the victory over Serbia with the "last second incredible two points of Manu Ginobilli.

I don't want to make a post that is only football and basketball. But, regardless, for me RG was more important than 78.

Posted

5. August 28th, 2004 - In the same day Argentina wins two gold medals in men's football and basketball and breaks a curse of 52 years without the argentine anthem being played at the OG.

4. Roland Garros 2004 - 3 out of 4 semifinalists were :ARG . Also it had dramatic final between Gaudio and Coria who didn't like each other that much. Gaudio winning was the ultimate underdog story since he was always seen as a guy that couldn't possibly win a major title, being a complete nutjob like he was.

3. Argentina-Brazil at football World Cup 1990 - Crazy epic victory over the neighbours with the team plagued with injuries and playing crap football. Resisted thousands of shots from the opponent for 80 minutes before Maradona placed a fantastic pass to score an unthinkable goal.

2. Argentina-USA at basketball world championship 2002 - The first loss of a USA team made up by NBA players (was holding a record of 55-0 since 1992). That was the day the whole world realised that they weren't invincible.

1. Argentina-England 1986 & world cup victory - Maradona's magnum opus, nothing else to explain.

Someone should remake the "what sports are popular in your nation?" thread.

lol athletics is not more popular here than in the US, Canada, that's ridiculous, :lol:  I think if ask people the name of one argentine athlete, 8 out of 10 wouldn't be able to say one name.

Also american football is absolute fringe and horse racing isn't fringe, it's minor/medium.

Posted
hace 4 horas, Gianlu33 said:

Mercedes won the team awards :facepalm:

haha againt the main sponsor wins. These awards are a joke.

Doping Cases and Bans 2018 Thread
Posted

Apparently there is doping of russian mixed curling team.

Ahora, heywoodu said:

That's such a shame...especially considering your Brazilian neighbours are showing rather much on live TV... 

It's the first time since I have memory that winter games aren't even shown in at least one channel live. 

Sadly, the only from the games we will watch here is a short daily review in one channel :facepalm:

And I'm too old and busy to search for streams during the night, so... the closest i will be to this games is Wikipedia.

As things are now, no channel will show the Winter olympics here :facepalm:Too bad, it would break a streak of 5 consecutive WOG being broadcasted.

Sports Budgets in your Nation
Posted
hace 6 minutos, Gianlu33 said:

In 2018 CONI will have from the state 419 millions of euro.

Special founds:

• 5.4 millions for the Ryder Cup 2022 project
  • 4 millions for the 2018 Volley World Championship
  • 1 million for the youth basketball sector

Ah yes, now that I see this I forgot to add: the youth olympics has it's own separate budget because it's funded mostly by the city of Buenos Aires, not the nation... and unsurprisingly it's being a nightmare of overspending, corruption scandals (for example with Myrtha Pools...) a story for another day :facepalm: