website statistics
Movies about the Olympics
Posted

I believe this will be the third major US film (this decade) featuring athletes from the 1936 Olympics after Race and Unbroken.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I'm not sure if i can watch PanAms in Poland.

PanamSports Channel will have nine live channels available internationally.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

57 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

And what about this week?

Pan American Games begin on Friday :d

Sport Accord World Combat Games will also get revived in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) this week. Quotas were tight and many sports are being held in non-Olympic formats, so limited interest on my end. Still, it will be a rare chance to see international sumo, savate, and armwrestling.

International Olympic Committee News
Posted
20 hours ago, NearPup said:

The IOC is considering a proposal to make Bach the Eternal President of the IOC.

(or rather they are considering letting him run for a third term, but… ya)

Interestingly, it seems that idea was introduced by regional bodies. ANOCA, CentroCaribeSports, and ODESUR leaders were the first to speak in support. 

Every reaction I’ve seen to this idea today has made fun of the IOC’s “good governance” or “sustainability” push.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, dcro said:

Funny how the likes of boxing, wrestling, and indeed, fencing do not "glorify violence". :)

Exactly. A sport where one method of winning is to hit your opponent in such a jarring fashion that it causes a traumatic brain injury or cardiac event :wacko:

Edited by Olympian1010

5 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Re. Free association isn’t Niue basically the same like Palau/Marshall Islands/Micronesia except with no separate citizenship?

Yes, I think the citizenship issue will prove the biggest hurdle for them though. 

25 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

The United States has officially recognized :NIU Niue as a country.

Could they join the 2028 Olympics? They are already a member of five federations (Judo, Rugby, Table Tennis, Weightlifting, Wrestling). Niue and the Cook Islands are uniquely classified by the UN as “non-member states”.

But, all Niueans are New Zealand citizens.

Yeah, their "free association" status with New Zealand will probably be a problem. Faroe Islands have struggled for recognition despite the support of nearby nations.  

Posted
1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Weren´t they already suspended ? what is this "news" :lol: ffs we need to know the decision if they will take part at the Games or not, ffs IOC let us finally know if they will ffs play the hockey tournament in Milano ffs !

I can not anymore with all this suspense ! :hairpull:

They were basically on “double-secret probation,” but now they have a codified suspension. I think it’s still too early to decide on participation for Milano-Cortina 2026. 

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

What is worth watching this week?

Rugby WC QFs is a must for me. But what else???

Pan American Games next week, but this week is definitely on the lighter side. 

The best sports museums in the world
Posted
9 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I have been to the museum at Panathenaic Stadium in Athens which is cool but very small (the stadium itself is much more impressive).

Oh right, I forgot about that. It’s free when you pay for admission to the stadium, so as a package deal, it’s worth it. They do have a complete/near complete set of official posters and torches, which isn’t super common. The gift shop is still selling some Athens 2004 merchandise :p

The best sports museums in the world
Posted

USOPC opened a museum in Colorado Springs. I haven’t been yet, but the reviews I read were pretty good.

Park City has a nice museum at the Olympic Center, right above the bobsleigh track. It mostly has stuff from the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Vancouver and Palisades Tahoe have some ones celebrating their editions as well. I don’t remember much about either.

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Bach: “And for my last act as IOC President, I shall bankrupt one lucky African nation.” :p

None of those candidates seem like a shoe-in to me yet. Many of them will likely require infrastructure upgrades.

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's odd, in a way, that the Commies, which would be a perfect trial run style event to show the IOC it can do this stuff, is kind of dying, when both South Africa and India could really do with that chance to show its stuff for future Olympics consideration (as Manchester CWG definitely helped UK fix its rather bad reputation back in the day).

India nearly had to withdraw from hosting the 2010 Commonwealth Games, and South Africa did withdraw from hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They may have inadvertently already told the IOC the information they wanted to know.

Edited by Olympian1010
I’m a dumbass who doesn’t double check spelling and dates.

Posted

Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh has been nominated for IOC Membership (along with seven others).

https://x.com/chklaue/status/1700145662749196321?s=46&t=eeNhSzi4Rylqjvpt-IBinQ

Athletes Deaths Thread
Posted

Longtime IWGA Secretary General Co Koren passed away. He was also an important official inside the sport of Tug of War. 

IWGA write-up: https://www.theworldgames.org/news/The-World-Games-17/Thank-you-Co-2469