website statistics
Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted
2 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

That's a good idea, I didn't know we had athletes here apart from @brunamoura.

@Swewi is competitive on the Swedish curling circuit. I believe they have played in the Olympic trials before. 

@Vojthas (who hasn’t been active for a while :() competes in the Polish club league for curling.

@John Foyne won a medal in American Football at The World Games 2017. He’s active in flag football at present (I believe). 

@IoNuTzZ is/was a competitive 400m runner I believe (not sure about the level).

There may be a few more people active at the national/club level, but I’m not sure. @Agger @heywoodu have both done half marathons in the past if memory serves. @Josh is a swimmer, but I don’t have any idea about the level (I’d assume local/youth). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted

We should recognize some of the athletic achievements of members during these awards at some point. We've got people chasing Olympic qualification, running half marathons, setting PRs in the pool, etc. It might be fun to have a more inward category/honor at some point (maybe not even voted on, but just some acknowledgment during the ceremony for those bothering to turn off the livestreams and go do something)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted
36 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

"No" won 13-10.

The color swap isn't very helpful on StrawPoll. Definitely something they should fix in an update.

Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted
48 minutes ago, Josh said:

Just a thought, but for athlete of the year, could we potentially do separate categories for winter/summer sports? Too many star athletes would go unnoticed IMO. 

I also think it would be beneficial to have winter/summer categories in the future. It’s really hard to compare the two, especially since winter tends to straddle two years.

Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted

Femke Bol maybe? For winning a world title after her fall in the relay. 

It’s the only thing that pops into my head without reading any old threads or looking at results.

Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted
1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

Same here, but I probably don't watch as much stuff as you do. I mostly remember some moments from Gymnastics and the Pan American Games, none of which will have a chance to actually be nominated :p

I only watch major championships and multi-sports games, so my votes might be off the beaten path a bit as well.

Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted

I'd throw in Ezra Frech :USA as well. He broke the T63 High Jump WR and won the world title this year. He has the potential to become one of the para athletes whose fame transcends the Paralympic Movement. Definitely a name to keep track of heading into Paris 2024. 

1 hour ago, Mateus Nagime said:

but curiously events in Russia and Belarus count for the olympic ranking/quota, but so far no swimming event in Russia was "Green-lighted". Perhaps the russians will start to swim in other countries (Doha?) and finally will get their quotas.

Russia is still in murky standing with WADA, which might explain why events aren't being "green-lighted" by World Aquatics.

1 hour ago, Biathlonfan said:

“The view of the overwhelming majority of athletes is not to punish fellow athletes for the actions of their government,” this seems like a way more relavant point honestly.

Nah, just another IOC talking point. There isn’t much impetus for athletes to fully speak their opinions on the matter. NFs, IFs, and the IOC hold way too much power over them and their opportunities to compete for most of them to want to risk doing anything but echoing the IOC position on an issue.

Of course, this could truthfully be the opinion of most athletes, but it is rather difficult to ascertain that for certain.

Doping Cases and Bans in 2023
Posted
On 9/28/2023 at 4:19 PM, dullard said:

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/lone-100m-runner-in-infamous-delhi-meet-fails-dope-test-9054563/

Sports fail of the year for sure :facepalm:

Totallympics Awards 2023
Posted

@vinipereira any consideration given to having more than one category for adaptive athletes (ie. splitting individuals and teams, or doing gendered individual awards)?

International Olympic Committee News
Posted
38 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Felix and Szilagyi seem certain, but for the other 2 places are up for grabs. Let's hope it will be lesser known athletes and not Fox for example :whistle:

Fox and Pajon definitely have a good amount of name recognition as well. Although, there are quite a few athletes with memorable results or personalities on there.

International Olympic Committee News
Posted (edited)

Smajlaj :ALB seems unlikely to win given his qualification scandal. I'm honestly surprised his candidacy was cleared (even it was possibly determined at some point he didn't have a major role in the scandal).

Edited by Olympian1010

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process
Posted
32 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Also just pure coincidence that USA are being pushed for 2034, when we all know the NBC contract end with 2032. :rolleyes: IOC salivating on the negotiations for the new rights already.

I believe it had more to do with "commercial conflicts" between 2028 and 2030. Although, I'm sure they'll be happy to guarantee some more broadcast dollars.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the consequences of back-to-back editions in the same country would be, so can't really form an opinion on that.

Doping Cases and Bans in 2023
Posted
4 hours ago, phelps said:

Came here to post it as well. A fascinating read indeed.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

Any streams for the Pacific Games and/or the FIS Moguls World Cup in Idre? :mumble:

I haven't seen much info, but I'll pass anything I find along.

Not really sure which thread is best for this, but…

I attended the last day of the World Beach Ultimate (Frisbee) Championships on Sunday. Admission was free, and you could watch from just off the sideline of the field. It was a cool event. Some surprising results too. 

I also coincidentally caught the opening parade of the para surfing world championships (being held at the same beach). It was fun to watch all the different national teams parade by. Plus, I got to watch some of the different classifications of adaptive surfers warming up for the competition.

All in all, a neat day at the beach. 

Athletes Retirements Thread
Posted
9 hours ago, LuizGuilherme said:

Just do your job :BRA

You’ve got competition.