Posted

In ARG...  

Football

>>>>

Basketball, Tennis, Auto Racing, Rugby, Boxing 

>>

Volleyball, Hockey, Handball, Futsal  

Polo, Athletics, Swimming   

Everything else is simply not on TV except for olympics/pan am games.  

This is strictly about popularity/TV ratings. If it's about participation numbers the scene changes a bit (for ex. Gymnastics has a good number of people that practice). 

There are also sports that are popular in particular regions or provinces.

Examples: Rink Hockey in San Juan, Cycling in the west/northwest in general, Softball in Entre Ríos, Ski in the south, etc.

As I mentioned in page 4 the official national sport is Pato, but it's virtually unknown among the general public and doesn't have any TV coverage.

War is more serious than doping. CAS will 100% uphold the ban or their funding and recognition will end.  And yes, it will be a completely political and not legal ruling.   

Every international organization acts neutral until their money is on the line.

3 hours ago, hckošice said:

Absolutely disgusting ! Tennis should be kicked out of the Olympics.

Innocent Ukrainian civilians right now are killed in their country and russian tennis players will be allowed to play for big money at grand slams and so and even under their flag..

Not all of them win big money, those outside the top 150 barely make a living.  It's not like in football where they can just keep playing for russian clubs in the russian league, they have no source of income if you don't allow them to travel and compete internationally. 

Just now, dcro said:

It should be noted that Russia officially broke the Olympic truce, which on paper was set to expire on March 20th.

Even if all this gets resolved quickly, this leaves an argument for Russia to get a blanket ban on the next Olympics. Again, mostly considering that they were already on thin ice before any of this started.

True. 

At olympic level there's no argument to defend their participation.

32 minutes ago, Vektor said:

It doesn't matter what's right or wrong, there's literally no precedent for a Russian DSQ since the two World Wars. CAS will rule in favor of Russia even if FIFA tries to drop them. 

Actually...  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA–CONMEBOL_play-off)

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Neither have the Ukrainian civilians. Or just the whole Ukraine, for that matter.

Of course, but the russian team that enters the pitch are just a bunch of footballers doing their job. I don't see the point in expelling them from the competition other than for symbolic reasons.

That's why I said cut the prize money instead, because that's something that can actually be used for evil purposes back in Russia.

21 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yemen supported Saddam Hussein during the first Gulf War. Nobody will give them even a toilet paper.

Are you serious?  

With this criteria we shouldn't give "even a toilet paper" to a lot of countries due to a multitude of conflicts from the past.

To be clear, if I had any decision power on this I would: 

1. Not allow Russia to host this play-off, for security reasons. 

2. Allow participation of Russian team since their coaching staff and players have not done anything wrong.  

3. Deny the russian football federation the prize money from WC participation (should they qualify) until their government ceases hostilities.

National & International Sports Awards
Posted

Olimpia Awards ceremony took place yesterday (most notorious sport award in the country, voted by journalists). 

Winner of the Olimpia de Oro ("golden Olimpia") and thus chosen argentine sportperson of the year was... Lionel Messi

Extremely predictable winner must I say. This award historically has tried to stay away from footballers (this is "only" the 7th golden olimpia for a footballer in 67 years of the award and Messi's second) but this year there wasn't really any option. 

Also, tennis player Diego Schwartzman was retroactively given the same award but for 2020 (the ceremony couldn't take place last year). 

Here is a list with the previous winners. 

I suppose I could some random watch party from the past but I'll just go with this one cuz it was the most popular here:

Volleyball at Tokyo, legend and Seoul medalist Hugo Conte is part of the tv broadcast team and watches Argentina win a medal after 33 years (his son is part of the current team)...

2 hours ago, Bearas said:

Don't think there is anyone born outside Lithuania that representing :LTU in Tokyo, but there are some Lithuanians representing other countries:

Seeing you're also considering ancestry, we have in hockey team one girl Julieta Jankunas, for sure some grandparent must be there.

International Olympic Committee News
Posted

It's amazing how the russians are just mocking everyone with these anthem proposals. And to be fair, they are right in doing so since the imposed sanctions are a complete joke (in the sense of being less than a slap in the wrist) to begin with.

I'll list only foreign-born people currently representing Argentina in olympic sports, don't want to speak about ancestry of our people because it would be complex to classify, like for most nations in american continent. There could be someone else in a team sport that I'm forgetting.

Matias Albarracin :BRA (Equestrian jumping, olympian 2016, but his family is argentinian and he has lived here since he was a kid )

Iryna Khokhlova :UKR (modern pentathlon, olympian 2016)

Sol Fainberg :ESP (Rhythmic Gymnastics, pan am games 2019, argentinian parents)

Stefano Lucchetti :USA (Fencing, pan am games 2019, argentinian parents)

About argentinians currently representing other nations in olympic sports that will probably be in Tokyo (so, not counting athletes that have already failed to qualify):

Valentin Verga :NED (hockey, olympian 2012, 2016)

Gonzalo Echenique :ESP (formerly) & currently :ITA (water polo, olympian 2016)

Damian Quintero :ESP (Karate kata, as stated above)

Pablo Cuevas :URU (tennis, just born here but lived in Uruguay all his life)

There are also some athletes not born here but with argentinian roots scattered around the world (most notable would be american Diana Taurasi, the basketball player) but I can't remember them all right now.

About the past, there have been numerous argentinians representing other nations, mainly Spain and Italy (obviously). In the case of italy a lot, specially in sports like football, rugby and field hockey, but also some in sports like volleyball or sailing. 

Your Favorite Olympic Moments
Posted
hace 47 minutos, phelps dijo:

Canoeing in Italian is "Canoa" (Canoa Sprint = Flatwater Canoeing, Canoa Slalom = Slalom Canoeing, no difference with many other languages)...in Spanish is "Piragua/Piraguismo"...

That's in Spain only, everywhere else in hispanic world it is "canotaje" for Canoeing. I was asking because of the similarity of the word with the italian for rowing.

Hmm curious... "Canoa" would be referring to the canoe (as in the object) in our language.    

I see that rowing is canotaj in romanian, similar root as italian I suppose.  Both quite different from spanish and french words for that same sport ("remo" and "aviron").