website statistics
International Olympic Committee News
Posted (edited)

I’m just surprised no one has asked the IOC, “what does Russia offer the Olympic Movement?”

They’ve broken the Olympic Truce, engaged in state-sponsored doping, and drove up an insane bill that has been citied by some as a reason for less bidders all within the last decade or two. Why fight so hard to bring them back in to the fold at every turn? 

I understand it’s a complex issue, and I do get some of the arguments made against unilaterally banning athletes from a particular country, but it’s not like the invasion is Russia’s only offense against Olympic values (as other users have pointed out.)

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted (edited)

Zelenskyy’s statement to Macron about the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics seems to have ruffled a few feathers at the IOC. They came out with this laundry list of statements about the participation of Russian/Belarusian athletes today. 

It seems to both maintain the status quo, while maybe opening the door slightly more to Russian/Belarusian athletes.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
8 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

He cited the 1981 World Games as example but forgot how athlete parades is done in subsequent World Games...

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It’s a bit off-topic, but I was surprised by the lack of ITG reporters in Birmingham this summer. To my knowledge, I was the only representative of one of the big Olympic publications in town. I got some great interviews other publications didn’t, so I can’t complain, but that was odd to me.

Barker also points out how the FISU does medal ceremonies, but doesn’t add that athletes are still organized by nation and wear national uniforms (for the most part) at the World University Games.

Posted

Interesting historical perspective on the current national flags debate by ITG’s resident historian Philip Barker: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1132697/flags-anthems

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
11 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

I missed that rule :)

Ok, easy one - 6.44.12 

Men’s 5000m speed skating? I figure I might as well try that since it worked last time :p

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
4 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Fastest Kilimanjaro ascent and descent

Yay! We have a winner :champion:

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

100 mile running world record? :p 

Not quite. Think about the hint I gave above ⬆️ 

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Record swim across Tanganyika Lake? :p

This might be the first guess more obscure than the actual record :p

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
30 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Is it the ironman triathlon world record by the Norwegian guy?

Another good guess, but still NOT the correct answer.

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted

33 minutes ago, dcro said:

100 km record in athletics?

You’re in the right line of work, but that’s not the record.

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

It has to be a record right? Only thing I can think of with a near 7 hour time in the Olympics is the finish time of the cycling road race...

It is a record. It does NOT come from the sport of cycling. A solid guess though.

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Largest winning margin in the Tour de France? :p 

Wrong again! A chance for a new user to claim a spot on the scoreboard. If there’s no more guesses in the next few hours, I’ll drop a hint.

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
Just now, hckošice said:

Longest tennis match ? Absolutely no idea

Nope, that’s actually significantly longer than the record I posted.

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted (edited)

6 Hours, 56 Minutes

Edit: Revised to more accurate measure

Edited by Olympian1010

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Question is: is this a submitted answer, or just thinking out loud? :mumble:

Yes :p

[Game] Guess the Record!
Posted
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

hckosice - 1

heywoodu - 1

Next record: 12:30.74 minutes

This screams men’s 10,000m speed skating, but I think the current times are half a minute lower than that…

Totallympics Awards 2022
Posted
9 minutes ago, Sindo said:

What was that website? I don't remember about that. I might contact them and ask them if they want to buy the website....:lol:

You don’t remember, or your conveniently choosing to forget so we don’t ask too many questions :p

Totallympics has a value too great to put in writing as far as I’m concerned anyway :yes

Totallympics Awards 2022
Posted

This means we get a cut of the $40 million USD profit that one website said Totallympics was operating at, right? :p

Totallympics Awards 2022
Posted

I really hope Sandra Sanchez gets some love in the Lifetime Award voting. She won literally every major event in karate (Olympics, World Championship, World Games, World Beach Games, European Games, Euro Champs, etc.)