website statistics
Totallympics Introduction Thread
Posted
22 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I work mostly as a video editor and schedule supervisor now.  Wait until you see what I've got cooking up for this summer.  For the 2018 Olympics, I did a big spreadsheet in Google docs with all the event schedules plus the TV coverage.  Trying to do something similar for Tokyo.  

I may also provide a very similar service for the forum :cool:. I do more video archive/replay lists though. Olympic Channel eliminated all my fun for the 2020 Winter YOG by posting their own schedule for streaming :p (I’d still love to work for them though)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Thank you!  Glad to be here.  Been looking for a forum online for discussion the Olympics and Olympic sports.  Looks like I'm in the right place!

I'm actually from NYC.  The "Quaker2001" name is a reference to where and when I went to school.  I am indeed in the media.  As I told another poster, I actually worked for NBC once upon a time, including working in Salt Lake at the Olympics in 2002.  Definitely one of the more fun sports experiences of my life!

Definitely in the right place. What do you do media wise? I’d love to work an Olympics (I’ll be in Tokyo as a “freelance”, though I run my own publication)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

Eh-Oh! Another American joins the forum! (another member of the media as well ;)). Welcome @Quaker2001 (I’d guess Northern New York based on the name)! We love users that are active. Have a wonderful time around the forum (and a late Merry Christmas)!

7 minutes ago, Wumo said:

@bestmen

It does work in this thread.

https://totallympics.com/index.php?/topic/2091-fantasy-contests-201920-biathlon-manager-game/&do=findComment&comment=264283

Maybe hidden posts only work in threads in the Totallympics Prediction Contests section? 

Which would make sense since you don’t need to hide posts for any other reason. It should work in the test thread as well.

37 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Watch your words! :p

PS. Did you know, why the bulbs are for Christmas every year. It's the way @Sindo gets more money from the ads dispalying as we still refresh the page to break them :p Well, at least I do. :d

Well clearly he has to get that 52 mil from somewhere :p

Posted
5 hours ago, Jinzha said:

Welcome! @Olympian1010 recruited me from reddit too. It's a great place to follow all kinds of sports going on literally every day.

But clearly Totallympics is better :p

Posted
2 minutes ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

what is the name of the webbside.

Better yet, here’s a link: https://games24.totallympics.com/ (I haven’t been able to post the last week because of finals at my university, but generally there’s more current articles available).

Posted
22 minutes ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

i have questionI have question how many of you has beean to the qlympics not as a spectator but as an athlet or suport personal.

I was ine of 3 time nurses for Marocko in 2012. And i was a official nurse in the eightlifting part of African games 2019.

I actually run a sports news website, so I’m hoping one day to go as a reporter. I will be in Tokyo next year as a spectator. I’m hoping to play a role in the 2021 World Games, 2023 Winter Universiade, 2028 Summer Olympics (and hopefully 2030 Winter Olympics).

Posted
35 minutes ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

weightlifting

One of my favorite sports to watch in person. I was a volunteer at the 2017 World Championships.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

But i was there in my work so i couldent do hat i wanted.

Oh cool! You were on the games medical staff? What was that experience like (if you don’t mind me asking)?

Posted
1 hour ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

Hello everybody sorry if my language is not good my name is Khadidja Aisha Said i am 48 years old i have 8 children, 

Morocco’s back! :cheer: Welcome to the forum.

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Want my tshirt?

Reveal hidden contents

No one wants your rip off Zelda t-shirt :p

4 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Thanks a lot @Olympian1010 Yes, it's hard time for me, for more than a year I had almost no success, yet I made two of my biggest dreams come true (and it would be unfair not to mention that it couldn't have happened without your help). My problem is I still want more and more. After eight years just writing seems not enough for me. In fact I enjoy speaking better than writing. I simply don't have this technical and marketing know-how to promote myself. And I think I'm too straight and too honest to people, which makes me so unpopular. I even heard that in the real world I'm much nicer than through the Internet. But I so damn wish I was so open to other people in the real world that I'm through Internet. 

If have to do a few things for school right now (even though it’s a holiday tomorrow ?), but I’ll message you later. There’s some things I want to ask/talk about if you don’t mind.

35 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Well, I know it'll be strange, what I'll write, especially in this place, but I the word "Problem" and "Suggestion" are the keys here. The first is what I have, the second is what I need.

The problem is I'm getting tired of doing what I like. That would not need anything big but the thing is I can't live without doing it. This crisis lasts about a year, during which I was fighting with myself - leave it or give it a go. It was, or in fact is, a sinusoidal - once I left it I came back in two days. Then I left it again, this time burning the bridges behind me. When I tried to start something new, it didn't go as I wanted, so it stopped. Then I came back to it, developing it more. And when I thought I have some new chances, I suddenly lost the hope I can succeed as I wanted. Now I'm really a little bit hanging between two spots - I don't know how to go further but I don't know how to not do it at all.

Since I have no one in place to solve that problem, I ask you all. Any suggestions?

I am, by no means whatsoever, a person qualified to give advice to anyone. However, I can speak to what your feeling.

If you remember back to my 5,000th post, I believe I talked about the long period of depression I went through in middle school. The only reason I’m still alive to this day, is because someone believed in me. A teacher took my aside about 1/3 through 8th grade (the last grade before high school in the US), and essentially told me that I had a gift for writing and deep thinking. That lit up my world. I’ve put a lot of energy into writing, journalism, sports analysis, etc. since then. It’s thankless work. I can stay up for 6 hours writing a masterpiece of political or satirical poetry, and then get shit on by my peers. I’ve submitted to 4-5 internships with pieces that are some of my best, and have never made it to the second round. Often when writing for Totallympics Media, I think “Does anyone even care what I write” or “no one even reads these” or “I’m not happy right now, so why do I do this”. It’s hard. Plus, that’s not mentioning the constant pressure to be at my best. I spend a lot of nights just think “What am I doing!”. I’m 19, I never driven a car, I barely leave my house, I don’t have a paying job, I too lazy to do the simplest of workouts, I do have any life skills etc

It takes strength to keep going, and your only as strong as you make yourself. People can tell you what to do, how to fix yourself, that you’ll be nothing, that your works incredibly pointless, etc. 

At some point you have to decide “this is what I’m doing, and fuck everyone else”. I ran races years, and essentially finished last. Do I feel terrible often for finishing so far back? Yes. Did I often dream of just one time doing exceptionally well? All the time. Did I stop running no? No.

What people didn’t see was the work, dedication, and enjoyment behind the scenes. They didnt know how good it felt to be in shape. How good it felt to just run with friends for an hour. They won’t know the feeling of pushing through all the pain to finish. It doesn’t matter to people because they don’t understand the passion.

It’s the same with writing. I’ll make to Instagram posts. One is of my cat. That gets, say, 50 little hearts (likes). The second one is a picture of the sunset that took 20 tries to frame properly, accompanied by a poem about the fragility of life. That gets 10 little hearts. I feel crushed. I put in tons of work and into the second post, and people liked the crappy photo of my cat more. It makes me question why I even write poetry. Then, two weeks down the line one person will message me. They’ll say that they really connected to that poem. They feel like I gave them a voice. I remember then why I do poetry. It’s art, it’s subjective, it’s often under appreciated, but I enjoy it. I’m truly myself when I write. There are often times, as I said, where it feels fucking useless, to do anything. I just remember that I’m trying to find that one person to make happy, to brighten their day, to help inform them, to show my true colors. 

That’s how I get through writing day in, and day out. Sometimes, like you said, I feel like I absolutely love what I do, other times I hate myself and my writing.

I’ve decided (a while ago) that’s it’s important to continue writing because it’s the only place where I’m truly me. My opinion matters when I write because some will eventually read it, and want to have a discussion. 

I’m an average man. I’m about as sadly standard as they come, but I just get through everyday, by trying to brighten, help, or improve someone else’s day. For me, informing people about various sporting events gives me sheer joy. Often no one makes a comment about what I write, but I always know it made someone’s day. I might post a pre-written press release about a Paralympic sport, by I choose to believe deep down, that someone will read and find something they like. Maybe one of their fellow country people won an event, and now they’re fans of them because of my article. Maybe a random fact from my article makes someone realize they love history. Three years later they’re spending hours reading old texts because that’s what they love now.

You can’t be believe in anything until you believe in yourself. Think of it like the Greek myth of Pandora. She opened the box of human feelings. Everything scary escaped, and she closed the lid before HOPE could escape. I choose to believe that we, ourselves, have to open our box (our mind, our soul, etc.) and let HOPE out. 

The world is a sad place without hope. They wouldn’t be happiness without hope. I could spend a lifetime writing reports, articles, political theories, poems, songs, etc. and feel satisfied with my work (even if I’m unhappy) because I know that odds are, it meant something to somebody.

@Vojthas you are an incredibly talented, interesting, and funny person. I enjoyed working with you. It pains me to hear about what your going through. I know many entertainers, writers, etc. who have all gone through the same feelings. They got through it because the believed, and choose to continue to hope for opportunities until it finally paid off one day. There are plenty of people who’ve tried thing after thing for 50 years, and one day just hit the freaking jackpot with an idea. That won’t happen if you stop believing in yourself. 

To me it sounds like you need time to make a choice. Is what you love doing worth it? Is it worth the long nights, the hardships, the glory, the pain, the frustration, the happiness. Or, is it time to move on? Is it not worth it anymore? Is there someone else where you could make a serious impact? Is there something else that will give you the same feeling you loved when you started?

I’ve not known you long, and I obviously don’t know you as well as a close friend would, but I know and feel deep down that you’ll make the choice that makes you happy.

I spent a long time on this, so hopefully you, or someone else reads it :p. I ain’t proofreading it, so sorry if the grammar sucks. 

I hope that it helps, at least in some small way.

31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is there any way to let a whole bunch of Enters at the end of a post automatically be deleted or something? For some reason a certain user doesn't seem to be able to post normal posts without it and it takes up a whole lot of space every time :p 

What

Do you mean?

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

You should know :p

I don’t like that I became the forum’s resident drug expert, but I also don’t hate it :dunno:

I don’t even take Advil or Tylenol, so it’d be a bit odd if I were doing any drugs in reality :p

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

The forum is unstable... it's practically on class A drugs these days.

Schedule 1 you mean. Stupid European :p

Edited by Olympian1010