website statistics
Totallympics Introduction Thread
Posted

Welcome @Hayward! Don’t know if I’ve seen a Bermudan user on here before...Always nice to grow the Pan American membership of the forum.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
2 minutes ago, JohnFoyne said:

Lol. I'm talking about my crappy Microsoft Word Press formatted blog. But yes, big American Football guy here, time to grow the game!

Hey, blog’s a blog. We all have to start somewhere. Totallympics Media wasn’t even a thing this time last year. Me and @Vojthas had just begun planning our first podcast episode around this time last year.

Well in terms of American Football fans around here, you have @Monzanator and then @bmo (who runs a college football publication I believe). Myself and bmo are both Lions fans. I can’t remember who Monzanator cheers for. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
Just now, JohnFoyne said:

If you're not waking up at 3am to watch the B-Finals of the open water ocean swimming, then you're here for the wrong reasons ;)

No, if you didn’t wake up at 1AM for the heats, then you’re here for the wrong reasons.

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

You're now best friends forever with @Olympian1010, who'll wake up in the middle of the night to watch the South Pacific Youth Water Sports Games :p 

Welcome! :cheer: 

Are you calling Totallympics Media crappy? :yikes:

Where’s that “how dare you button” when I actually need it. We’re already acquainted from Twitter by the way. We’ve had some really fun discussions about international sports, and (more importantly for @bmo) American Football.

Posted
7 minutes ago, JohnFoyne said:

Hi Everyone,

My name is John. I stumbled across this site from a friend over on twitter, and this seems quite exciting. I have a pretty crappy blog that I like to use to write about multi-sport games, so this is cool. Look forward to chatting with you all. :bye:

Hey John! Nice to see you here.

On 23/03/2020 at 04:39, Vojthas said:

We already have one Matt here and I'm sure he will greet you once he wakes up (he's from the land where it never rains - but it pours, man, it pours), so let's just stay with Matej ;) I'm sure this is the right place for you. Enjoy!

On 23/03/2020 at 05:31, heywoodu said:

But we never call Matt Matt here so I'm sure Matt won't mind if we call Matej Matt, right Matt?

There’s actually three Matt’s thinking about it :d

We’re forming a Matt based Olympic forum hierarchy :p

13 minutes ago, Sindo said:

I made it a bit smaller, and added the offline grey symbol.

This is what it looks like for me now, and I really like. The green outline is subtle enough to not be completely noticeable, but also really helpful in identifying who’s online right now.

9760A4E6-4399-4983-B74C-F100A2006C0F.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sindo said:

Online users now have a green circle before their username:

March1.png

Not sure if I like. I’ll get used to it over time of course, but it ruins the visual look a little in my opinion. Maybe it would look better in a lighter shade of green, and if it were smaller?

Posted
10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

So you're a racist colonial lover who is also against apartheid and such. Now that's a difficult combination to juggle around, rather hypocritical indeed :d 

To be honest, at first I was like “I’m just gong to choose some over the top name”, but then it turned into “who do I want to be name after.”

Posted
47 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Please tell us a bit more about Xavier Cronelius Hypocrites Napoleon Leonidas Voltaire Mandela Coubertin the First and Second. 

Also, if any of you ever call me this for reals, you going on “my list.”

Posted
46 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Please tell us a bit more about Xavier Cronelius Hypocrites Napoleon Leonidas Voltaire Mandela Coubertin the First and Second. 

You know the saying “Three times a charm?” My dynasty decided to skip 1 and 2 in order to start off on a high note. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Dude, it's 1986!!!

It’s all the same for someone not born until 2000 :p

Posted
6 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I can call you Betty and Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al.

I didn’t grow up in the 50s, so I don’t understand this reference. :p

Posted
2 hours ago, konig said:

Sory but its imposible to have two of you, a dead duel will decide who continue here and who not.....

Nah, I’m easy going, he can be Matt. From now on, I’ll shall be addressed as Xavier Cornelius Hypocrites Napoleon Leonidas Voltaire Mandela Coubertin the Third.

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The Pacific Games should be reserved for entities in the Pacific, at least in my opinion.

I’m not saying Hawaii can’t compete, but if their going to, then the rest of the US should be allowed to compete as well :p

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, one of the main fun things about these events is to see 'nations' (or entities, whatever you want to call it) compete which you normally don't see in the big world championships and Olympics.

Right, but that’s what the Island Games are for...

I think the Pacific Games should be reserved for Oceanic countries, free association territories, or dependencies which are self-governing and part of another country.

9 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Yeah they can't actually display the flags because they're wholly unofficial. All the same they are represented by the unofficial flags most places online, including NORCECA, Wikipedia results and even Apple emojis.

I agree it's weird for them to compete as they're basically like what Hawaii is to the US. Then again we might start to see Hawaii in the Pacific Games so...

Yeah, Hawaii definitely shouldn’t be competing because it’s a whole ass state, but I’ll let the PGC do what they want.

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Very true, but each department has an unofficial flag used for sporting events. Martinique's council adopted this new one (and a territorial anthem too!) It used to be the snake flag. 

Interesting, they used the French flag when they competed in Barranquilla. I wonder if they’ll switch over now? I’m not really in favor of them completing since their actually a full part of the French Republic, but whatever.

On 02/04/2020 at 18:12, ahjfcshfghb said:

Martinique (:MTQ)   has a new flag:

Flag of Martinique - Wikipedia

Also the flag of Saint Martin (:MAF) is a hoax and was never used. https://fotw.info/flags/mf.html 

EDIT: Actually @Sindo they don't use any flag besides French. The one I'd linked before is dubious too. So maybe we could just turn ":MAF" into the French flag for now.

Well technically their flag is the French tricolor. There are a full part (department/state/province/prefecture (don’t know the nomenclature here)) of the French Republic.

23 minutes ago, Bohemia said:

I can't upload some pictures while I'd never had a problem before (and I don't have any problem with this screencap)

Screenshot_20200404-202532_Samsung Internet.jpg

Your photo is 1.72kB over the allowable limit. Ive had some issues with photo size to recently, but @Sindo reasoning for the limit is understandable.

Totallympics Announcements Thread
Posted
7 hours ago, Griff88 said:

You don't need HTML in Wiki, just learn from their tutorials. Or I'd say that you just use your sandbox for experimenting, try copyediting, before making an article from scratch.

Yeah I did a little bit of that a few years when I was bored in high school. I did a few pages, but the only I remember now is the 2013 Summer Universiade results for the K1 or C1 200m.